Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego
|Diocese of San Diego
Dioecesis Sancti Didaci
|Territory||Counties of San Diego, Imperial|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Los Angeles|
|Metropolitan||San Diego, California|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||July 11, 1936|
|Cathedral||St. Joseph Cathedral|
|Patron saint||St. Didacus of Alcalá|
|Bishop||Robert W. McElroy|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||José Gómez|
|Vicar General||Msgr. Steven Callahan|
|Emeritus Bishops||Robert Henry Brom, Gilbert Espinosa Chávez|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego is a particular church of the Latin Church of the Roman Catholic Church in the western region of the United States. Its ecclesiastic territory includes all of San Diego and Imperial Counties in Southern California, with a Catholic population of 1,981,057. The diocese is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
Leadership and religious membership
On January 4, 2012, Bishop Cirilo Flores was appointed as coadjutor bishop with immediate right of succession to Bishop Robert Henry Brom, then already 75, who had served since January 1990. Bishop Brom had submitted his resignation when he turned 75, as all Roman Catholic bishops must, and Pope Francis accepted it on September 18, 2013, making Coadjutor Bishop Flores the Bishop of San Diego. Bishop Flores died on September 6, 2014 after a stroke and a battle with cancer. In March 2015, Pope Francis appointed Bishop Robert McElroy as the bishop of the diocese.
There are 233 priests, 118 deacons, 290 religious sisters and 22 religious brothers in the diocese.
The diocese was established on July 11, 1936 at which time it also included Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. In 1978 these two counties were separated to form the Diocese of San Bernardino. Currently the Diocese of San Diego includes 99 parishes and 16 missions. In addition, the diocese includes 45 elementary schools, 5 high schools and 2 universities (University of San Diego and John Paul the Great Catholic University).
On February 28, 2007, the diocese filed for bankruptcy protection after the diocese was unable to reach a settlement agreement with numerous plaintiffs suing over alleged clergy abuse. On September 7, 2007, the Diocese agreed to pay $198.1 million to settle 144 claims of child sexual abuse by clergy, the 2nd-largest payment by a diocese.
The lists of ordinaries of the diocese and their years of service:
- Charles Francis Buddy (1936–1966)
- Francis James Furey (1966–1969)
- Leo Thomas Maher (1969–1990)
- Robert Henry Brom (1990–2013)
- Cirilo Flores (2013–2014)
- Robert W. McElroy (2015–present)
- Richard Henry Ackerman (1956–1960)
- John R. Quinn (1967–1971), later Bishop of Oklahoma City-Tulsa, then Archbishop of Oklahoma City, then Archbishop of San Francisco
- Gilbert Espinosa Chávez (1974–2007)
- Salvatore J. Cordileone (2002–2009), later, Bishop of the Diocese of Oakland, then Archbishop of the Archdiocese of San Francisco
- Academy of Our Lady of Peace, Normal Heights, San Diego, administered by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
- Cathedral Catholic High School*, Carmel Valley, San Diego
- Mater Dei Catholic High School**, Chula Vista
- St. Augustine High School, North Park, San Diego, administered by the Augustinians
- Vincent Memorial Catholic High School, Calexico.
- * Formerly the University of San Diego High School
- ** Formerly Marian Catholic High School
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church hierarchy
- Chaldean Catholic Eparchy of Saint Peter The Apostle
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- "Diocese of San Diego, Statistical Overview". Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- "U.S. Watch". Wall Street Journal. Assocaited Press. 3 March 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Mark Sauer (February 28, 2007). "S.D. Catholic diocese files for bankruptcy". Union Tribune.
- Allison Hoffman (9/8/2007). "Diocese settles abuse claims for $198M". USA Today. Check date values in:
- Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego
- San Diego Office for Vocations
- San Diego Young Adult Ministries
- Catholic Charities, Diocese of San Diego