Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego
|Diocese of San Diego
Dioecesis Sancti Didaci
|Territory||Counties of San Diego, Imperial|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Los Angeles|
|Metropolitan||San Diego, California|
|Established||July 11, 1936|
|Cathedral||St. Joseph Cathedral|
|Patron saint||St. Didacus of Alcalá|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||José Gómez|
|Vicar General||Msgr. Steven Callahan|
|Emeritus Bishops||Robert Henry Brom, Gilbert Espinosa Chávez|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego is a particular church of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church in the western region of the United States. Its ecclesiastic territory includes all of San Diego and Imperial Counties in Southern California, with a Catholic population of 1,981,057. The diocese is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
Leadership and religious membership
On January 4, 2012, Bishop Cirilo Flores was appointed as coadjutor bishop with immediate right of succession to Bishop Robert Henry Brom, 75, who had served since January 1990, upon the acceptance of his resignation (Catholic bishops must offer their resignation to the Pope at age 75, but are often kept later). Therefore, Coadjutor Bishop Flores immediately succeeded Bishop Brom as Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego when Bishop Brom's resignation was accepted by Pope Francis on September 18, 2013. There are 233 priests, 118 deacons, 290 religious sisters and 22 religious brothers.
The diocese was established on July 11, 1936 at which time it also included Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. In 1978 these two counties were separated to form the Diocese of San Bernardino. Currently the Diocese of San Diego includes 99 parishes and 16 missions. In addition, the diocese includes 45 elementary schools, 5 high schools and 2 universities (University of San Diego and John Paul the Great Catholic University).
On February 28, 2007, the diocese filed for bankruptcy protection after the diocese was unable to reach a settlement agreement with numerous plaintiffs suing over alleged clergy abuse. On September 7, 2007, the Diocese agreed to pay $198.1 million to settle 144 claims of child sexual abuse by clergy, the 2nd-largest payment by a diocese.
List of bishops
- Charles Francis Buddy (1936–1966)
- Francis James Furey (1966–1969)
- Leo Thomas Maher (1969–1990)
- Robert Henry Brom (1990–2013)
- Cirilo Flores (2013–); succeeded on Wednesday, September 18, 2013
- Cirilo Flores (2012-2013); previously, Auxiliary Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange (2009-2012)
- Richard Henry Ackerman (1956–1960)
- John R. Quinn (1967–1971)
- Gilbert Espinosa Chávez (1974–2007)
- Salvatore J. Cordileone (2002–2009), later, Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland, then Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Francisco
- Academy of Our Lady of Peace, Normal Heights, San Diego, administered by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
- Cathedral Catholic High School*, Carmel Valley, San Diego
- Mater Dei Catholic High School**, Chula Vista
- St. Augustine High School, North Park, San Diego, administered by the Augustinians
- Vincent Memorial Catholic High School, Calexico.
- Saint Joseph Academy***, San Marcos
- * Formerly the University of San Diego High School
- ** Formerly Marian Catholic High School
- *** Catholic school not associated with Diocese, formerly known as Sierra Madre Academy
- Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego
- San Diego Office for Vocations
- San Diego Young Adult Ministries
- Catholic Charities, Diocese of San Diego