- Fish Scales redirects here. You may be looking for the scales of fish.
|Origin||Bowling Green, Kentucky|
|Genres||Southern hip hop, country rap, alternative hip hop|
|Years active||1995 – present|
Nappy Roots Entertainment Group
|Past members||R. Prophet
Nappy Roots is an American alternative Southern rap quartet that originated in Bowling Green, Kentucky in 1995, and is best known for their hit singles "Po' Folks", "Awnaw", "Roun' The Globe" and "Good Day". They were the best selling hip hop group of 2002. The group consists of Milledgeville, Georgia native Fish Scales and Kentucky natives Skinny DeVille, B. Stille and Ron Clutch.
Nappy Roots' debut independent album Country Fried Cess was released in 1998, which led to the group being signed by Atlantic Records. Their first album on Atlantic Records was 2002's best selling hip-hop album, "Watermelon, Chicken & Gritz". The multi-platinum album featured the hit-singles "Headz Up", "Awnaw", and "Po' Folks". The "Awnaw (Remix)" featuring Marcos of P.O.D. appeared on Madden 2003. In their home state, Paul E. Patton the governor of Kentucky, sanctioned September 16 as "Nappy Roots Day".
Their next and last album with Atlantic Records was Wooden Leather, released in 2003, featuring the singles "Roun' the Globe" which was featured on Madden 2004 and "Sick and Tired" (featuring Anthony Hamilton). This critically acclaimed, major label follow up album, "Wooden Leather" featured production from Kanye West, David Banner and Lil Jon. Also in 2003 they were on the movie soundtrack to Daredevil (starring Ben Affleck) with the song "Right Now" that featured Marcos Curiel of P.O.D. and released on Windup Records. In 2004 they were also featured on three songs for the movie soundtrack to The Ladykillers starring Tom Hanks that was released on Sony Music.
Since the release of Wooden Leather they are back to being independent artists, and have started their own label, N.R.E.G (Nappy Roots Entertainment Group) with distribution through Fontana/Universal Music Group. On July 31, 2007, they released their first album as independent artists, Innerstate Music featuring singles "Good Day" and "Keep It Real". This was actually an internet album, similar to a modern day mixtape. It was intended to be a precursor to their 2008 album, The Humdinger which was released on August 5, 2008.
The critically acclaimed album, The Humdinger features guest appearances from Anthony Hamilton, Greg Nice, Greg Street and Slick & Rose, with production from Sol Messiah, James "Groove" Chambers, Big Al, Joe Hop and more. The Humdinger entered the Billboard Rap Charts at #7 and R&B/Hip-Hop Albums at #13.
In 2009 the single "We're Gonna Make it" by Skinny and Scales was released through Nappy Roots Entertainment Group.
Nappy Roots kicked off 2010 with their highly anticipated new album, "The Pursuit of Nappyness", released June 15, 2010. The album features songs by a production duo from Atlanta, GA by the name of Phivestarr Productions.
In 2011, Nappy has teamed up with hip hop producers Organized Noize to create "Nappy Dot Org". The first single "Congratulations" made its way into cyberspace on July 13, 2011 by way of XXL Magazine and 2DopeBoyz. On October 11, 2011 Nappy Roots released their new album "Nappy Dot Org" that was entirely produced by Organized Noize.
|U.S. Hot 100||R&B/Hip-Hop||U.S. Rap||Pop Songs|
|2002||"Awnaw" (featuring Jazze Pha)||51||18||15||—||Watermelon, Chicken & Gritz|
|"Po' Folks" (featuring Anthony Hamilton)||21||13||10||25|
|2003||"Roun' The Globe"||96||53||25||—||Wooden Leather|
|2008||"Good Day"||—||80||—||—||The Humdinger|
|2008||"Down 'N Out" (featuring Anthony Hamilton)||—||91||—||—||The Humdinger|
|2010||"Ride"||—||—||—||—||The Pursuit of Nappyness|
|2011||"Congratulations"||—||—||—||—||Nappy Dot Org|
|2012||"Hey Love"||—||57||—||—||Nappy Dot Org|
|2012||"Another Sofa Bed" (featuring Audio Stepchild)||—||—||—||—||Nappy Roots Presents Sh!t's Beautiful|
|2012||"Bigga Thomas" (featuring 40 Akerz)||—||—||—||—||Nappy Roots Presents Sh!t's Beautiful|
|2012||"#REDPLAGUE" (featuring Audio Stepchild)||—||—||—||—||ESPN license|
|2013||"These Walls Revisited" (featuring Kanye West, Michael A Smith, Renzo Charles)||—||—||—||—||These Walls Revisited|
|Watermelon, Chicken & Gritz
|The Pursuit of Nappyness
|Nappy Dot Org (with Organized Noize)
|"Bluegrass Stain'd"||Mark Ronson||Here Comes The Fuzz||2003|
|"K.K.K.Y-Remix"||Cunninlynguists||Strange Journey Volume One||2009|
|"The Man In Me"||Chase Bean||Revelry||2010|
|"Anti-Depression" & "Good Die Young"||Jacob Izrael||The Glitch 2.0||2010|
|"Sofa Bed"||Audio Stepchild||Every Coincidence Is Significant||2012|
|"Some Kentucky Bourbon On Christmas Eve"||1st Blood||A Different Kind Of Christmas||2012|
|"Snow Bunny" & "Holiday Wavy"||Jerome "Bigfoot" Brailey||A Different Kind Of Christmas||2012|
|Country Fried Cess
|No Comb No Brush No Fade No Perm
|Nappy Roots Music Presents - The Kentucky Kolonels Vol. 1
|90 In The Slow Lane
|Nappy University Vol. 2: Fall Semester
|Nappy Roots Presents Sh!t's Beautiful
|2011||"Waste Some Time"(w/ Colt Ford and Nic Cowan)||David Poag|
Awards and nominations
- 2002 MTV Video Music Award nomination for the MTV2 Award for "Awnaw" - shared nomination with Jazze Pha
- 2003 American Music Award nominations for Favorite Band, Duo or Group - Hip-Hop/R&B and Favorite New Artist - Hip-Hop/R&B
- 2003 Grammy Award nominations for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration for "Po' Folks" - shared nomination with Anthony Hamilton and Best Long Form Music Video for "The World According to Nappy" - shared nomination with Gloria Gabriel, director; David Anthony 
- 2003 Soul Train Award nomination for Best R&B/Soul or Rap New Artist for "Awnaw"
- 2008 HipHopDX Award for "The Humdinger" 
- "I Wanted [To Talk] About A Man Being With A Woman Who Ain't Good For Him" | SOHH.COM
- VelocityWeekly.com, A little wiser and more financially savvy, Nappy Roots takes its career into its own hands Retrieved on March 9, 2008
- Nappy Roots Member Big V Leaves Group, Releases Free Solo EP | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX
- Nappy Roots: The Pursuit Of Nappyness | BallerStatus.com
- Amazon.com: The Ladykillers: Various Artists: Music
- HipHopdx.com, Where Have The Nappy Roots Been? Retrieved on May 4, 2008
- Amazon.com: We're Gonna Make It: Nappy Roots Presents: Skinny & Scales (40 Akerz): MP3 Downloads
- Skinny & Scales (Nappy Roots) – We Out Here | 2dopeboyz
- AllHipHop Presents Nappy Roots Sh!ts Beautiful Mixtape | AllHipHop.com
- Billboard.com - Artist Chart History - Nappy Roots. Billboard. Accessed June 14, 2010.
- 2008 HipHopDX Awards | Discussing Lil' Wayne, Drake & Many More Hip Hop Artists | HipHop DX