Russian Caucasus Army (World War I)
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (January 2013)|
|Russian Caucusus Army
Росси́йская Кавказскaя армия
Soldiers of the Russian Caucasus Army in the forests of Sarikamish.
|Active||1914-1918 (after April 1917 as Caucasus Front)|
|Illarion Ivanovich Vorontsov-Dashkov (1914 - January 1915) Nicholas Nikolaevich (January 1915 - May 1917) Vasily Kharlamov (May 1917 - April 1918)|
Period of existence
The Caucasus Army was formed in July 1914 from units of the Caucasus Military District. It ceased to exist in April 1917 when it was reorganized as the Caucasus Front, although this Front contained many of the same units and continued fighting in the same theater. This Front in turn formally ceased to exist in March 1918.
Order of Battle, 1914
The Caucasus Army was under the nominal command of the Governor General of the Caucasus Illarion Vorontsov-Dashkov at the start of hostilities. His chief of command was Aleksandr Zakharevich Myshlayevsky. The Caucasus Army had 100 battalions of infantry, 117 sotnis (cavalry squadrons), and 256 guns for a total of 100,000 troops. Before the war the army was dispersed into two groups according to the two main operating areas: the Kars group (Kars - Erzurum) with 6 divisions in the region of Otu - Sarikamish and the Erivan group (Erivan - Alashkert) with 2 divisions, reinforced by a large number of cavalry, in the vicinity of Igdir.
The flanks were covered by small units formed from the Border Guard, the Cossacks, and the militia. Due to the defeats at the Battle of Tannenberg and the Masurian Lakes, the Russians redeployed almost half their forces to the Prussian front, leaving behind just 65,000 troops from the initial 100,000 to face the Ottoman army.
- Caucasus Army Corps from November 12, 1914 April 2, 1915 Berhman George E.
- 2 infantry divisions
- 2 cossack rifle brigades
- 1st Caucasian Cossack division under command of General Baratov
- Turkistan Army Corps Lieutenant-General (from 23 October 1914, General of Infantry) Lesh, Leonid Vilgelmovich
- 4-I Turkestan Rifle Brigade
- 5-I Turkestan Rifle Brigade
- 1-I Transcaspian Cossack Brigade
- 1st Caucasus Kuban Cossack regiment
- 2nd Turkestan Battalion
- Kushkinskaya Oboznaya company
Order of Battle, 1915
- Caucasus Army Corps from February 2, 1915 - 12. March 1917 Kalitin, Pyotr Petrovich
- Turkistan Army Corps from February 3, 1915 - 3 April 1917 General of Infantry Przewalski, Michael A.
Order of Battle, 1916
Order of Battle, 1917
- Caucasus Army Corps from April 12, 1917 Lyakhov, Vladimir Rakhmanov
- Turkistan Army Corps from April 25–12 October 1917 - Lt. Gen. Chaplygin, Alexander; 12 October 1917 -? - Lieutenant General Savitsky, Hippolyte V.
- Georgian Ilia Odishelidze
- Russian Theodore G. Chernozubov
- Armenian Tovmas Nazarbekian
- Armenian Movses Silikyan