San Sebastián, Jalisco
- This article is about the Mexican town and municipality of San Sebastián del Oeste, Jalisco. For other meanings, see San Sebastian (disambiguation)
|San Sebastián del Oeste|
|Municipality and city|
|Nickname(s): El Real|
|• Total||1,400.13 km2 (540.59 sq mi)|
|Time zone||Central Standard Time (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||Central Daylight Time (UTC-5)|
San Sebastián del Oeste is a town and municipality, located on the western part of Jalisco state, Mexico, between 20°39’45’’ - 21°02’30’’ N and 104°35’00’’ - 104°51’00’’ W, at a height of 1,480 metres (4,856 ft).
San Sebastián was founded as a mining town in 1605 during the Spanish colonial period. Gold, silver and lead were mined around the area. More than 25 mines and a number of foundries had been established by 1785. The town was declared a city in 1812 and reached a peak population of some 20,000 people by 1900. The prosperity of the city declined after the revolution of 1910.
At the start of the 21st century, it has a population of less than 1,000. It receives some tourist visits from nearby Puerto Vallarta, as it is served by an airfield and recent road improvements have cut the transit time by car from Puerto Vallarta to less than 2 hours.
- The temple of Saint Sebastian, whose original construction dates from 1608, has details of roman and corinthian architecture.
- Many structures, built of rock and adobe, exceed 100 years of age, and have not been changed in that length of time. Some haciendas around the town have been purchased and restored recently.
The town is famous for its festivities of religious character: January 20 there is a fiesta in honor of Saint Sebastian and on the 15th of August, a festivity dedicated to the Virgin of the Asunción. On October 7 there is a festivity for the Virgin of the Rosary and on the 12th of December, as in all of Mexico the Virgin of Guadalupe is venerated at a small town not far away from San sebastian del Oeste the towns name is Los Reyes,Jalisco and it belongs to this municipality.
- World Heritage Site - (Tentative list, submission document)
- Encyclopedia of Mexican Municipalities (Spanish)
- Blog - San Sebastián del Oeste
- San Sebastián del Oeste. Magical and Fragile Corner (Spanish).
- Complete informational website about the town SanSebastianMexico.com