Tierra del Tequila, Tierra Colorada
|— Municipality of Mexico —|
|Motto: "Tierra Pobre,Gente Laboriosa"|
|• Municipality of Mexico||1,238.02 km2 (478.00 sq mi)|
|• Municipality of Mexico||80,193|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Arandas is a municipality of the Altos Sur region of the state of Jalisco in Mexico. Arandas is also the name of the municipality's main township and the center of the municipal government. It is approximately 2 hours east of Guadalajara.
The population of the town of Arandas was 46,099 as of the census of 2005. The town's main plaza is named Plaza Hidalgo after Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, father of Mexico's war of independence. The municipality's population as of the census of 2005 was 80,193 and its area was 1,238.02 km² (478 sq mi); however, both of these figures have been significantly reduced since 2007 with the creation of the municipality of San Ignacio Cerro Gordo from the western part of what was formerly part of the Arandas municipality. San Ignacio Cerro Gordo was the second-largest community in the municipality before the split, with a population of 9,485 inhabitants, but the largest remaining community besides the city of Arandas is Santa María del Valle, with a population of 3,902 inhabitants.
Local toponymy 
The name is derived from the original name the existent populous received during the 17th century: Santa María de Guadalupe de los Aranda, that is precisely derived from the last name Aranada, one of the founding families, along with Camarena, Hernández Gamiño and Hernández Rull.
Tequila production 
Arandas is the main tequila production center in the Los Altos region, one of the two main tequila producing regions in the state of Jalisco: the other being the municipality of Tequila, Jalisco. Arandas is home to the Cazadores, one of the most recognized brands of tequila. At the entrance of the town there is a landmark monument that signals the entrance to the Centinela Distillery (followed by another monument dedicated to the cities founder).
Facts about Arandas, Jalisco 
- Tequila is one of the best selling products in Arandas.
- This was one of the places in highlands of Jalisco where the Cristero War took place during the 1920s.
- Most Imported products from Arandas are Cazadores and Centinela tapatio
- Arandas has French, Italian and Spanish communities.
- San Jose Obrero, currently the largest church in Arandas, has Romanesque-Gothic style architecture.and one of the biggest bells in North America.
- Gobierno Municipal de Arandas Official website
- Noti-Arandas Newspaper featuring local and regional news
- Televisión Alteña TV Network