From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007)|
|Founded||August 2004 by merger|
|Key people||Wayne Pisano President|
In 2004, Aventis merged with and into Sanofi. The new sanofi-aventis Group became the world's 3rd largest pharmaceutical company. Aventis Pasteur, the vaccine division of sanofi-aventis Group, changed its name to sanofi pasteur.
- 1897: Marcel Mérieux creates the Mérieux Biological Institute in Lyon. Richard Slee creates the Pocono Biological Laboratories, in Swiftwater, Pennsylvania in the U.S.
- 1914: John FitzGerald creates Connaught Laboratories, part of the University of Toronto.
- 1968: Rhône-Poulenc acquires 51% of the capital of the Institut Mérieux.
- 1974: Pasteur Institute creates Pasteur Production, a subsidiary specializing in manufacturing vaccines.
- 1978: Connaught Laboratories in Canada acquires the vaccine manufacturing facility (Merrell-National Laboratories) at Swiftwater, Pennsylvania, U.S.
- 1985: Pasteur Production is acquired by the Mérieux Institute, and Pasteur Vaccins is created
- 1989: The Mérieux Institute acquires the Connaught Laboratories in Canada and its subsidiaries and becomes a world leader in human biology
- 1990: Creation of Pasteur Mérieux Serums & Vaccins.
- 1994: Pasteur Mérieux Sérums & Vaccins becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Rhône-Poulenc.
- 1996: Pasteur Mérieux Connaught is the new name of Pasteur Mérieux Serums et Vaccins.
- 1999: Rhône-Poulenc and Hoechst unite their Life Sciences activities in a single company, which takes on the name Aventis. Within this group, Pasteur Mérieux Connaught changes its name to Aventis Pasteur.
- 2004: merger of Aventis with and into Sanofi. The new sanofi-aventis Group becomes the world's 3rd largest pharmaceutical company, behind Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline. Aventis Pasteur, the vaccine division of the sanofi-aventis Group, changes its name to sanofi pasteur.
- 2008: Sanofi Pasteur acquires Acambis plc, a biotech company.
- 2009: Sanofi Pasteur acquires major stake in Hyderabad-based Shantha Biotechnics, which has been valued at euro 550 million (over Rs 3,770 crore).
Key facts & figures in 2009
- Sanofi pasteur - 2009 net sales: € 3,483 millions (+9.2% over 2008)
- Staff: more than 12,500 employees
- More than 1.6 billion doses of vaccines produced yearly to immunize more than 500 million people in the world
- Largest product range available, against 20 infectious diseases
- A global presence
- More than €1 million invested every day in R&D
- Headquarters: Lyon, France
- Canadian Manufacturing Site: Toronto, Ontario
- US Manufacturing Site: Swiftwater, PA
- 3 new facilities under construction in Ocoyoacac, Mexico; Neuville, France and Shenzhen, China
- TheraCys - bladder cancer 
- ADACEL (Tdap) - diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis 
- DAPTACEL (DTaP) - diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis 
- Diphtheria and Tetanus Toxoids Adsorbed USP, diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis 
- Tetanus Toxoid Adsorbed - diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis 
- TriHIBit (DTaP/Hib Booster Use) - diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis and haemophilus influenzae type b 
- Tripedia (DTaP vaccine) - diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis 
- ActHIB - haemophilus influenzae type b 
- Fluzone, Influenza Virus Vaccine - influenza 
- Fluzone, Influenza Virus Vaccine, No Preservative - influenza 
- Fluzone, Influenza Virus Vaccine, No Preservative: Ped Dose - influenza 
- Menactra - meningococcal 
- In 2011, Menactra became the first meningococcal vaccine approved for use in infants.
- Menomune-A/C/Y/W-135 - meningococcal 
- IPOL - Polio 
- Imogam Rabies-HT - rabies immune globulin 
- IMOVAX RABIES - rabies 
- DECAVAC - tetanus and diphtheria 
- Tetanus Toxoid Adsorbed - tetanus 
- Tetanus Toxoid For Booster Use Only - tetanus 
- JE-VAX - Japanese encephalitis virus 
- Typhim Vi - typhoid fever 
- YF-VAX - yellow fever 
- Tubersol - tuberculosis 
- "sanofi-aventis : Sanofi Pasteur, the vaccine division of the Sanofi-aventis Group, changes its name to sanofi pasteur". Retrieved 2007-11-04.
- "Connaught and the Canadian Polio Vaccine Story +". CONNTACT, June 1996 (Vol. 9 No. 3) (Employee News of Connaught Laboratories Limited). Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Sanofi Pasteur US Products". Retrieved 2007-12-04.
- Staff Writer (25 April 2011). "FDA Grants Licensure To Expand Indication For Sanofi Pasteur's Menactra". RTTNews. Retrieved 26 April 2011.