|Operating system||Web-based Application|
Scalr is an open source web based cloud computing platform for managing Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud. The project was started in April 2008 by Intridea to provide scalable infrastructure for MediaPlug (a media sharing service) and is now maintained at Github. Scalr provides, according to one reviewer, "90% of the features, at 10% of the price" of main competitor RightScale.
The code is made freely available under the Apache License (version 2.0) and Scalr has received favorable reviews from sites including TechCrunch, HighScalability, the official AWS blog, and CNet, as well as private blogs.
Scalr is also available as a monthly subscription service since mid-2008.
- Cloud computing Management platform
- Intridea release source code to Scalr under GPL, http://www.intridea.com/2008/4/2/open-sourcing-scalr
- The Scalr project on Github https://github.com/Scalr/scalr
- Experiences using Scalr http://scottmartin.net/2009/07/11/creating-a-virtual-datacenter-with-scalr-and-amazon-web-services/
- TechCrunch coverage of Scalr http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/04/03/scalr-the-auto-scaling-open-source-amazon-ec2-effort/
- Coverage from HighScalability http://highscalability.com/scalr-open-source-auto-scaling-hosting-amazon-ec2
- Coverage from the Official AWS blog http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2008/04/scalr-.html
- CNet coverage of Scalr http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-9910472-62.html
- Scalr – A RightScale Alternative for Cheap!? http://adminadventures.wordpress.com/2008/12/18/scalr-a-rightscale-alternative-for-cheap/
- Woods, Dan (2008-11-25). "Disaster-Proofing The Cloud - Forbes.com". www.forbes.com. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- Fitzgerald, Michael. "Technology: When the Forecast Calls for Clouds - Is cloud computing right for your company?". www.inc.com. Retrieved 2009-01-10.