|Full name||Sean Anthony Abbott|
29 February 1992 |
Windsor, New South Wales, Australia
|Bowling style||Right-arm fast medium|
|Only ODI (cap 205)||7 October 2014 v Pakistan|
|T20I debut (cap 68)||5 October 2014 v Pakistan|
|Last T20I||9 November 2014 v South Africa|
|Domestic team information|
|2010–||New South Wales (squad no. 77)|
|2011–2013||Sydney Thunder (squad no. 77)|
|2013–||Sydney Sixers (squad no. 77)|
|Source: CricketArchive, 12 December 2014|
Sean Anthony Abbott (born 29 February 1992) is a New South Wales cricketer originally from Windsor in New South Wales. After playing in junior cricket for Baulkham Hills Cricket Club, he progressed to play grade cricket for Parramatta District. Abbott is an all-rounder who bats right-handed and bowls right hand fast-medium pace.
He made his List A debut for New South Wales against Western Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground on 17 October 2010 in the 2010–11 Ryobi One-Day Cup, but neither bowled nor batted in the match. He made his first-class cricket debut exactly one year later, against South Australia at the Adelaide Oval.
Abbott has played for Parramatta and Sydney University in the Sydney Grade Cricket competition and both of the Sydney teams in the Big Bash League, the Sydney Thunder in the 2011–12 and 2012–13 seasons and the Sydney Sixers in 2013–14.
He made his Twenty20 International debut for Australia against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates on 5 October 2014. Two days later, he made his One Day International debut, also against Pakistan in the UAE. He then played in two more Twenty20 matches for Australia against South Africa in early November 2014.
During a Sheffield Shield match on 25 November 2014, Abbott bowled a bouncer that hit Phillip Hughes in the neck. Hughes died two days later at St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney, as a result of a vertebral artery dissection, leading to subarachnoid haemorrhage. Many of the condolence messages included support for Abbott. He returned to training the day before Hughes' funeral, and returned to play against Queensland in a Sheffield Shield match starting on 8 December 2014, returning a match winning 6/14 in Queensland's second innings.
In January 2015, Abbott was named as Australia's young cricketer of the year.
- "Ryobi One-Day Cup: New South Wales v Western Australia". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 17 October 2010.
- "Sheffield Shield - 3rd match: South Australia v New South Wales". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Sean Abbott". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- "Australia tour of United Arab Emirates, Only T20I: Pakistan v Australia at Dubai (DSC), Oct 5, 2014". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Australia tour of United Arab Emirates, 1st ODI: Australia v Pakistan at Sharjah, Oct 7, 2014". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- Coverdale, Brydon (27 November 2014). "Phillip Hughes dies aged 25". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Rush, James (27 November 2014). "Sean Abbott: Messages of support flood in for bowler as he leaves hospital following death of Australia batsman Phil Hughes". The Independent. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Sean Abbott First Bouncer Since Phillip Hughes Death
- "Sean Abbott on fire at the Sydney Cricket Ground". News Limited. 12 December 2014. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Sean Abbott named Australia's young cricketer of the year". BBC Sport. 27 January 2015. Retrieved 27 January 2015.