|Full name||Sean Anthony Abbott|
29 February 1992 |
Windsor, New South Wales, Australia
|Bowling style||Right-arm medium|
|Only ODI (cap 205)||7 October 2014 v Pakistan|
|Only T20I (cap 68)||5 October 2014 v Pakistan|
|Domestic team information|
|2010–||New South Wales (squad no. 77)|
|Source: CricketArchive, 20 October 2014|
Sean Anthony Abbott (29 February 1992) is a New South Wales cricketer originally from Windsor in New South Wales. After impressing in junior cricket for Baulkham Hills Cricket Club, he progressed to play grade cricket for Parramatta District. Abbott is an all-rounder who bats right-handed and bowls right hand medium pacers.
He made his List A debut for New South Wales against Western Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground on 17 October 2010 in the 2010–11 Ryobi One-Day Cup, but neither bowled nor batted in the match. He made his first-class cricket debut exactly one year later, against South Australia at the Adelaide Oval.
Abbott has played for Parramatta and Sydney University in the Sydney Grade Cricket competition and both of the Sydney teams in the Big Bash League, the Sydney Thunder in the 2011–12 and 2012–13 seasons and the Sydney Sixers in 2013–14.
He made his Twenty20 International debut for Australia against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates on 5 October 2014.}. Two days later, he made his One Day International debut, also against Pakistan in the UAE. He then played in two more Twenty20 matches for Australia against South Africa in early November 2014.
In November 2014 during a Sheffield Shield match at the Sydney Cricket Ground, a bouncer bowled by Abbott hit South Australian batsman Phillip Hughes in the head, rendering him unconscious. Hughes was taken to hospital where he underwent surgery and was placed into an induced coma. He remains in intensive care in a critical condition. The match was immediately abandoned, and the next day Cricket Australia abandoned the other two Shield games that were being played elsewhere in Australia.
- "Ryobi One-Day Cup: New South Wales v Western Australia". 17 October 2010.
- "Sheffield Shield - 3rd match: South Australia v New South Wales". 17 October 2011.
- "Sean Abbott". http://www.espncricinfo.com. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- "Australia tour of United Arab Emirates, Only T20I: Pakistan v Australia at Dubai (DSC), Oct 5, 2014". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Australia tour of United Arab Emirates, 1st ODI: Australia v Pakistan at Sharjah, Oct 7, 2014". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "South Australian batsman Phil Hughes in critical condition after being hit by bouncer in Shield game at the SCG". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 25 November 2014. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Phillip Hughes injury: Cricket Australia decides to abandon Sheffield Shield matches". AAP. 26 November 2014.