Seana McKenna was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. She is a graduate of the National Theatre School of Canada, where as a student she played Gwendolen in The Importance of Being Earnest and Isabella in Women Beware Women by Thomas Middleton.
Stratford Shakespeare Festival
McKenna has played over 40 stage roles over the course of 23 years at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, and major ones from very early on, specializing since the 2000s in strong-willed women but also mesmerizing as an actress looking very different from one role to another. 2013 was her 22nd season: She played Queen Elizabeth I in Friedrich Schiller's Mary Stuart directed by Antoni Cimolino and Madame Arcati in Noël Coward's Blithe Spirit directed by Brian Bedford.
Roles in other companies
She has also played leading roles in many other major houses across Canada, including the title role in Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare (Centaur Theatre), Maggie in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams (Grand Theatre[disambiguation needed], London), The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe by Jane Wagner (Belfry Theatre, Neptune Theatre, National Arts Centre, Manitoba Theatre Centre/MTC), Blanche Dubois in A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams (Theatre New Brunswick), Eliza Dollitle in Pygmalion and the title role in Candida by George Bernard Shaw (Shaw Festival), Medea by Euripides and Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen (MTC), Blanche Dubois again at MTC, Wit by Margaret Edson at the Canadian Stage Company, Orpheus Descending by Tennessee Williams at the Manitoba Theatre Centre and Royal Alexandra Theatre, Doubt: A Parable by John Patrick Shanley at the Canadian Stage Company, Phèdre by Jean Racine (American Conservatory Theater), and The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion (Belfry Theatre, Tarragon Theatre, and National Arts Centre).
Films and TV
She married director Miles Potter, and they have one son, Callan, born in 1998.
Stratford Shakespeare Festival credits
"Tartuffe" (1983) by Molière - Mariane
The Merchant of Venice (1984) by William Shakespeare -Jessica
DVDs, CDs Audiobooks
- Twelfth night (1986) CBC Home Video, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, based on the 1985 Stratford Shakespeare Festival production.
- Good Mother (2002) by Damien Atkins Bell Canada Reading, CBC Audiobook CD, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Medea (2001) by Euripides CBC Audiobook CD, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, based on the 2001 Stratford Shakespeare Festival production.
- Narrator for Away, novel in Audiobook format by Jane Urquhart.
- http://www.ent-nts.ca/en/programs/acting/alumni.aspx NTS acting alumni
- http://www.ent-nts.ca/journal/j23p06_alumni.htm NTS alumni outreach
- Women beware women. Program notes: Montreal, Quebec, National Theatre School of Canada, 1979
- Stratford Shakespeare Festival Visitors' Guides from 1982 to 2012. Stratford, Ontario, Canada
- http://www.canadiantheatre.com/dict.pl?term=McKenna%2C%20Seana Canadian Theatre Encyclopedia
- http://www.act-sf.org/0910/phedre/ American Conservatory Theater production of Phèdre
- http://www.tarragontheatre.com/season/1011/magicalthinking/ Tarragon Theatre production of The Year of Magical Thinking
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pQhCi85Oew Video excerpt of Tarragon Theatre production of The Year of Magical Thinking