Shiloh Wind Power Plant
The Shiloh Wind Power Plant is a wind farm located in the Montezuma Hills of Solano County, California, USA, very near to Bird's Landing. It has a nameplate capacity of 505 megawatts (MW) of power and was built in four stages between 2005 and 2012.
Started in August 2005 and completed in April 2006, the first phase of the wind farm consists of 100 GE 1.5 MW wind turbines. They are spread across 6,800 acres (2,800 ha) of rolling hills and cost roughly $220 million to build. The turbines are owned by Iberdrola Renewables (formerly known as PPM Energy) and the electricity is sold to Pacific Gas and Electric (75 MW), the Modesto Irrigation District (50 MW), and the City of Palo Alto (25 MW).
The land for the turbines is leased from 26 local landowners, who continue to use it for sheep grazing and growing hay. Of the 100 turbines, 76 towers are 80 meters (262 ft) tall, and 24 towers are 65 m (213 ft) tall. The turbine rotors have a diameter of 77 m (253 ft) and rotate at a rate of 11–20 revolutions per minute.
EnXco started commercial operation of the 150-megawatt Shiloh II wind farm in February 2009. The wind farm has 75 REpower MM92 turbines, each generating up to 2 megawatts. It produces enough energy for 74,000 homes. EnXco has a 20-year contract to sell the power to Pacific Gas and Electric Co.
Shiloh IV became operational in December 2012, and like Shiloh III, consists of fifty REpower 2.05 MW turbines, generating 102.5 MW. The power is sold to Pacific Gas and Electric Company under a 25-year purchase agreement. Shiloh IV involved removal of about 235 existing Kenetech 100 kW turbines, originally installed in 1989 with a capacity of 25 MW.
- Mortenson Project Profile - Shiloh Wind Farm
- Baker, David R. (November 16, 2006). "New windmills near delta fuel state's global warming fight". San Francisco Chronicle.
- "Two power contracts totaling 125 MW signed for PPM Energy's Shiloh Wind Project" (Press release). PPM Energy, Inc. July 7, 2005.
- "PPM Energy sells out 150 MW Shiloh Wind Project" (Press release). PPM Energy, Inc. October 13, 2005.
- Shiloh Wind Power Plant Fact Sheet - Iberdrola Renewables
- Lamb, Celia (February 23, 2009). "EnXco turns on $300M wind farm". Sacramento Business Journal.
- "enXco Announces Operation of 102.5 megawatt Shiloh 3 Wind Project" (Press release). enXco. January 19, 2012.
- "EDF Renewable Energy Announces Operation and Financing of the Shiloh IV Wind Project" (Press release). EDF Renewable Energy. January 8, 2013.
- "enXco signs Power Purchase Agreement for 100 MW Shiloh IV Wind Project". enXco (Press release). August 18, 2011.