|Motto||Berkhidmat Dengan Keahlian (To Serve with Skill)|
|Principal||Tan Choon Shian|
|Admin. staff||Approx. 1 500|
|Students||Approx 15 900|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Singapore|
|Agency executive||Bill Chang York Chye, Chairman|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Education|
Singapore Polytechnic (Abbreviation: SP; Chinese: 新加坡理工学院) is the first polytechnic established in Singapore. It was founded on 27 October 1954 to provide studies, training and research in technology, science, commerce and the arts. The former campus was originally located at Prince Edward Road and was relocated to its present-day location at Dover next to Dover MRT Station in 1978.
2010 saw Singapore Polytechnic's 50th graduation ceremony and 150,000th graduate. To date, over 177,000 students have graduated from Singapore Polytechnic.
- 1 Mission, Vision, Goals & Values
- 2 Academic Schools and Departments
- 3 Facilities
- 4 Awards and Certifications
- 5 Scholarships and Outstanding Talent Programme
- 6 Direct Polytechnic Admissions (DPA)
- 7 Notable Alumni
- 8 References
- 9 External links
To educate and nurture our students to excel in work and in life, and to equip adult learners with skills and knowledge to enhance their employability.
A leading institution that prepares our students to be work ready, life ready and world ready.
- Providing Holistic Education
- Fostering Global Orientation
- Creating Learning & Social Spaces
- Building Capabilities
- Personal Integrity
- Care & Concern
These values are represented by the acronym SP CORE.
Academic Schools and Departments
- School of Architecture and the Built Environment (ABE)
- SP Business School (SB)
- School of Chemical and Life Sciences (CLS)
- School of Communication, Arts and Social Sciences (CASS)
- SP Design School (SD)
- School of Digital Media and Infocomm Technology (DMIT)
- School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- School of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering (MAE)
- School of Mathematics and Science (MS)
- Singapore Maritime Academy (SMA)
- Department of Educational Development (EDU)
- 6 foodcourts
- Burger King
- Starbucks Coffee
- Ya Kun Kaya
- Food Haven Restaurant
- Koufu Food Court
- Cafe @ Moberly
- Cheers Convenience Store
- Popular Book Store
- FRANK Store by OCBC
- Sports Complex, with a full-length football pitch and running track
- Swimming complex
- 4 Tennis Courts
- 3 Badminton Courts
- 1 Gym
- 3 Basketball Courts
A new Sports Hub, to be completed in 2014 will have 12 badminton courts, 2 Basketball courts, 3 Squash Courts, 1 Multipurpose Hall, 1 Bouldering Wall, 2 Netball Courts and 2 Volleyball Courts. Other facilities include an external rock climbing wall and rooftop Tennis Courts.
Moberly is the oldest block of SP. Once a British army barracks, the building has been refurbished into a recreational hub. It contains six pool tables (3 on level 1, four on level 2), jamming studios, karaoke rooms, a cafe and a mini museum.
- The alumni clubhouse, Singapore Polytechnic Graduates Guild (SPGG), is next to the campus, and contains a bowling alley, swimming pool, pool room, a gym and a restaurant.
- Kindergarten within the campus for children of staff.
- Two libraries: the Main Library and the Hilltop Library.
Awards and Certifications
The Polytechnic has been awarded the Singapore Quality Class as well as the ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certifications. It has also won the Singapore Public Service Award for Organisational Excellence and the People Developer and Family Friendly Awards.
SP received the President's Award for the Environment in 2010. Some of the key green initiatives by SP over the years included spearheading the adoption of Marina Reservoir to keep it clean and organising the Singapore International Water Festival to engage youths on environmental and water issues.
Most recently, SP won the South West Environment and Community (ECo) Award (Community Category). The award recognises exemplar efforts of organisations that have contributed to environmental and community sustainability in the district.
Scholarships and Outstanding Talent Programme
Currently, SP offers the following scholarships
- SP Scholarship
- SP Engineering Scholarship
- SP-ITE Scholarship Scheme
- SP Music & Arts Scholarship
- SP Sports Scholarship
Singapore Polytechnic Outstanding Talent (SPOT) Programme
SPOT is a talent development and enrichment programme. All SP Scholars will automatically be placed under this programme. Other eligible students will be invited to join SPOT based on their academic results, CCA performance and lecturers' recommendation.
Direct Polytechnic Admissions (DPA)
DPA allows final-year secondary school students who have an interest in, and aptitude for, poly education, to apply for and get a confirmed place in a polytechnic course of their choice before sitting for their GCE 'O' Level exam.
JUMPSTART is an 8-week Singapore Polytechnic Preparatory Programme (PPP) for successful Direct Polytechnic Admission (DPA) applicants to SP.
The programme offers the DPA students a head start to poly education and student life in February/March before the formal diploma term begins in April. It comprises academic modules to enrich and build their foundation in polytechnic studies; enrichment activities and DPA bonding camp to help students develop teambuilding, networking and people skills.
Tanya Chua - 3-time Best Female Vocalist Golden Melody Award-winning singer-songwriter
- "Oldest poly celebrates its 150,000th grad". Asiaone.com. 2010-05-19. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Mission, Vision, Goals & Values". Singapore Polytechnic. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Full time Diplomas of Singapore Polytechnic". Singapore Polytechnic.
- "Continuing Education Programmes of Singapore Polytechnic". Singapore Polytechnic.
- "Academic Schools Singapore Polytechnic". Singapore Polytechnic.
- "Singapore Polytechnic - Dining and Retail Facilities". Singapore Polytechnic. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Singapore Polytechnic - Sports Facilities". Singapore Polytechnic. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "President’s Award for the Environment".