Sir Francis Drake High School
|Sir Francis Drake High School|
|1327 Sir Francis Drake Boulevard
San Anselmo, California 94960
|School type||Public, comprehensive high school|
|School district||Tamalpais Union High School District|
|Oversight||Western Association of Schools and Colleges,
Accrediting Commission for Schools
|School number||CEEB Code: 052770|
|Assistant Principals||David Rice, Chad Stuart|
|Area||Upper Ross Valley and San Geronimo Valley, Marin County|
|Color(s)||Green and White and Black|
|Communities served||Fairfax, Lagunitas-Forest Knolls, Nicasio, San Anselmo, San Geronimo, and Woodacre|
|Feeder schools||Lagunitas School District
Nicasio School District
Ross Valley School District
Sir Francis Drake High School is a secondary school located in San Anselmo, California. It is named after the English privateer and naval hero Sir Francis Drake, who purportedly landed in the area in 1579. The school's mascot is a pirate named Petey.
The school was established in 1951 as the second high school in the Tamalpais Union High School District. It is located at 1327 Sir Francis Drake Boulevard, situated on a 21 acre (85,000 m²) campus bordered by two creeks. The site was formerly known as Cordone Gardens. 2006-07 enrollment was 1,114 students.
Approximately 83% of Drake’s 2004 graduates continued on to higher education, 62% to 4-year universities and 21% to 2-year colleges.
The school newspaper, the Jolly Roger is published almost every month. The 1986-87 edition was a winner of Columbia University’s Silver Crown Award for high school newspapers in 1988. The Jolly Roger has been a regular recipient of the Medalist rating, given to the top 5% among high school newspapers in its class in United States.
The school's NICA NorCal League mountain bike team is notable for being one of the first in the nation and has won numerous regional and statewide competitions. The team are six time NorCal League champions and four time California State champions, only recently beaten by Redwood High School in 2013
- Arj Barker, comedian
- Brad Hargreaves, musician
- Michael Rossman, FSM activist & teacher
- Alex Zettl, physicist
- Steve Lavin, College Basketball Head Coach
- Edward Neumeier, screenwriter of Robocop and Starship Troopers
- Lance Acord, cinematographer
- Scott Capurro, actor, comedian, author
- Terry Bozzio, musician (UK (band), Missing Persons (band))
- Scott Thunes, musician (Frank Zappa)
- Alex Bennett, radio Broadcaster for Sirius XM Left
- Jane Levy, actress from ABC comedy Suburgatory.
- Reggie Carolan, professional football player
- Joel Blum, actor - nominated for two Tony awards
- Doug Johnson, television news reporter for FOX5, Las Vegas KVVU-TV, winner of 2012 Emmy Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, Pacific Southwest Chapter.
- David Fierro actor from The Knick on Cinemax.
- Archie Williams (May 1, 1915 – June 24, 1993), 1936 Olympics 400 meter Gold Medalist.
- Albert L. Lavin, coauthor of Writing: Unit-Lessons In Composition series, 1965-1973.
- W. Keith MacNab, coauthor of Chemistry: Fundamentals and Principles, 1977.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Sir Francis Drake High School
- Sir Francis Drake High School Profile 2006-07, accessed March 14, 2007
- Columbia Scholastic Press Association, 1988 Scholastic Crown Recipients, accessed March 14, 2007
- "Welcome to Drake MTB!". Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- Michael Taylor, San Francisco Chronicle, May 17, 2008, "'60s activist Michael Rossman dies in Berkeley", accessed May 24, 2008.
- "Thinking really small". Nanotechnology Now. 2006-04-17. Retrieved July 11, 2009.
- "Joel Blum - IBDB database".
- "Doug Johnson". Retrieved July 28, 2012.
- "2012 Nomination List". Retrieved July 28, 2012.