|• MLA||Ashok Bendalam|
|Elevation||8 m (26 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||+91, 08947|
As of 2001[update] India census, Sompeta had a population of 36000. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Sompeta has an average literacy rate of 63%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 72%, and female literacy is 54%. In Sompeta, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Sompeta is trading center of coconut coir and even exports coir to other states.
- Arogyavaram Eye Hospital, Premier eye hospital of the Srikakulam district is established in 1939. It is highly Sophisticated and fully equipped. Efficient team of doctors perform around 5000 cataract surgeries. It is supported by Operation Eyesight Universal of Canada, which owes its birth to this hospital. This hospital is the referral centre for eye care in a radius of 200 kilometres.
- Community Health Centre of Andhra Pradesh Vaidya Vidhana Parishad with 30 in-patients is located here.
- There are Sr.Civil Judge and Jr.Civil Judge Courts
- There is a post office in Sompeta
- Sompeta has got 3 movie theatres namely Siva picture palace,Thriumala picture palace and Srinivasa mahal.
- It has several kalyana mandapas namely kalingavysyas chowtry, sailaja mandapam, Devanga Kalyana mandapam (Chowdeswari Kalyana Mandapam) and TTD.
Sompeta is an Assembly Constituency in Andhra Pradesh. However, Sompeta Assembly Constituency ceases to exist as an assembly constituency as per the delimitation process  recently carried out. Part of the constituency includes Sompeta mandal will be part of Ichchapuram Assembly Constituency. The other part makes into the newly formed Palasa Assembly Constituency. Smt. Chitrada Nagaratnam is Sarpanch of the Town. Chitrada Srinivasa Rao would be Elected as MPP of Sompeta.
Protests against power plant
On July 14, 2010, two farmers were killed by the police as the villagers agitated against the proposed thermal power plant by Nagarjuna Construction Company (NCC) in Beela of Sompeta mandal. The proposed power plant of NCC occupies 1,500 acres (6.1 km2). While the government allotted 900 acres (3.6 km2) of wet land claiming it to be "banjar" or wasteland, NCC had acquired another 600 acres (2.4 km2) by paying Rs.3 lakh per acre to the farmers. Sompeta is known for its wet lands, greenery and biodiversity. Farmers and fishermen of the area are protesting against the power plant as it will kill the biodiversity and destroy their livelihood, polluting the area with ash from burning coal and damaging the water bodies.
List of elected members:
|Year||Winner Candidate||Party||Votes||Runner Candidate||Party||Votes||Margin(Majority)|
- 1951, 1955, 1962, 1967 and 1978 - Gouthu Latchanna
- 1972 - Majji Thulasi Das.
- 1983 - Majji Narayana Rao
- 1985, 1989, 1994, 1999 and 2004 - Syama Sundara Sivaji
- 2009 - Piria Sairaj
Revenue villages and Panchayats
There are 23 village panchayats in Sompeta mandal.
- Baruva (village and panchayat)
- Batupuram (village and panchayat)
- Benkili (village and panchayat)
- Besi Ramachandrapuram (village and panchayat)
- Bushabhadra (village and panchayat)
- Gollagandi (village and panchayat)
- Gollavoru (village and panchayat)
- Iskala Palem (village and panchayat)
- Kartali Palem (village and panchayat)
- Korlam (village and panchayat)
- Manikyapuram (village and panchayat)
- Mamidipalli (village and panchayat)
- Palasapuram (village and panchayat)
- Palavalasa (village and panchayat)
- Potrakonda (village and panchayat)
- Rushikudda (village and panchayat)
- Sirimamidi (village and panchayat)-
- Sompeta (Urban, panchayat and mandal headquarters)
- Sunkidi (village and panchayat)
- Tallabadra (village and panchayat)
- Turakasasanam (village and panchayat)
- Uppalam (village and panchayat)
- Zinkibhadra (village and panchayat)
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Sompeta
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Delimitation Commission of India.A.P.Final Order.May 2007
- Election Commission of India.1978-2004 Election results
- Election Commission of India.A.P.Assembly results.1972
- Details of Andhra Pradesh till Village Panchayat Tier
- Is Sompeta, Samapa of Asoka's Kalinga?
- Google Earth Map of Sompeta.
- Villages in Sompeta Mandal.
- Sompeta powerplant at what cost? 
- Help the people of Sompeta in defending their land. Please sign the petition