South Kitsap High School
|South Kitsap High School|
A ROTC session at South Kitsap High School
"The strength of the pack is the wolf and the strength of the wolf is the pack."
|425 Mitchell Ave
Port Orchard, WA 98366 USA
Maroon, White, and accents of Gold
‹See Tfm› ‹See Tfm› ‹See Tfm›
More than 2,500 students are enrolled across three grades (10th-12th) with 125 teachers.
South Kitsap High School is a three-year comprehensive public school. The South Kitsap school year is divided into three trimesters of 60 days each. Each student has the possibility of earning two credits per trimester (1/3 credit per course), or a total of six credits each year. South Kitsap is on an extended three-period schedule. Students select six classes per trimester. Classes meet for approximately one hour and forty minutes every other day.
History and facilities
It was originally built in 1921. An addition was made in 1962 followed by two addition and modernization projects in 1978 and 1980. The 337,392 square foot (31,300 m²) building is located on a 51.46 acre (20.8 hectares) site.
The school is known for its marching band, The Marching Machine, where they never cease to impress the school with their outstanding talent. In October 2008, the band was formally invited to march in the 2010 Tournament of Rose Parade in Pasadena, California. The band was one of 16 bands selected to perform in one of the most watched parades in the nation. Gov. Christine Gregoire has proclaimed Tuesday, January 26, 2010 South Kitsap High School Marching Band Day. Gregoire signed the proclamation Jan. 8 in honor of the band’s performance in the 2010 Rose Parade in Pasadena, Calif.
The band was also selected to perform in the Pearl Harbor Memorial Parade & Salute on December 7, 2011 in Honolulu, Hawaii. The event marked the 70th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor during World War II.
The band was a $10,000 grand-prize winner of the "Schools of the Rock Battle of the Bands," put on by Rock Wood Fired Pizza and Spirits, Seattle radio station KZOK and Xfinity in 2011. The SKHS band was selected over 27 other contestants, including Kingston High School, a school rival.
South Kitsap High School Marching Band has also won other numerous parades, contests, and competitions.
- Princess Salwa Aga Khan, Birth name Kendra Spears - American Fashion Model and married to Prince Rahim Aga Khan
- Willie Bloomquist, Major league baseball player
- Andy Brown, Former United States Air Force Security Policeman, Notable for ending the 1994 Fairchild Air Force Base Hospital shooting by killing shooter Dean Mellberg, class of 1988 
- Aaron Cunningham, MLB Outfielder for the San Diego Padres
- Jason Ellison, MLB Outfielder
- Jamie Ford, New York Times bestselling author of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
- Jason Hammel, Pitcher for the Colorado Rockies
- Travis Hanson, former baseball player for the St. Louis Cardinals
- Andy Husted, Musician, former member of MxPx
- Zoe McLellan, actress, former Homecoming Queen←
- Benji Olson, NFL Player
- Andrew Peterson, former NFL player for the Carolina Panthers
- Sean Spencer, former MLB pitcher
- Sharon Vaughn, Runnerup Miss America Pageant 1959
- SKHS Student Handbook
- SKHS Student Handbook
- "South Kitsap Marching Band Invited to March in 2010 Rose Bowl". Kitsap Sun. October 23, 2008. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "March to the Roses". Kitsap Sun. January 25, 2010. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "South Kitsap Marching Band Invited to Pearl Harbor". Kitsap Sun. 10 January 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- Grimley, Brynn (16 December 2011). "South Kitsap High School band blows away the competition". Kitsap Sun. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Silent Monks Singing Halleluia". YouTube. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- International Police Mountain Bike Association reprint of Air Force News story "Airman Gets Highest SPS Award"
- Dennis Sigurdson Jr.