|Born||Stephanie Rose McGovern
May 31, 1982
|Occupation||Television presenter and journalist|
McGovern was born in North Tyneside. She grew up in Middlesbrough in Teesside. She went to Kader Primary School then the Macmillan City Technology College (now the Macmillan Academy), one of 15 national City Technology Colleges, next to the A19/A66 interchange south of the River Tees. In 1998 at the start of her sixth form studies she won an Arkwright Engineering Scholarship for her potential to be a future leader in engineering industry (see Arkwright Scholarships). From 1998–2000, in the sixth form, she studied Maths, Physics, Design Technology and Business Studies. At the age of 19 she was awarded 'Young Engineer for Britain', after saving Black & Decker £150,000 a year by improving production techniques used for the Leaf Hog product.
McGovern started at the BBC doing work experience on the Tomorrow's World programme, before securing part-time employment as a researcher in current affairs. She went on to be main producer for daily financial news on the Today programme on Radio 4, before becoming the lead producer of business news on the BBC's One, Six and Ten O'Clock news bulletins, working with the business editor, Robert Peston.
On 27 August 2012 she made her debut presenting BBC Breakfast alongside Roger Johnson.
While one of the main relief presenters on BBC Breakfast, she also presented the main show during the Christmas holiday in 2012.
She has undertaken a wide range of activities in her business-reporting, such as bus-driving and visiting shops to discuss rent payments on Christmas Eve 2012.
- Macmillan Academy
- Gap-year pioneers make their mark | TheEngineer.co.uk
- BBC Breakfast
- "BBC Breakfast left red-faced after on-air swearing gaffe". Daily Record. 4 October 2012.
- Kay Murray 2012
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/stephbreakfast/status/259345713467637760
- "Steph McGovern kicks off her shoes and dances". BBC News. 2 April 2012.
- Gas turbine factory in Lincoln in June 2012
- Birmingham car parts factory in June 2012
- Dancing an Irish jig on BBC Breakfast in April 2012
- BBC Wife-carrying report - Steph carries co-presenter Mike Bushell in 2012
|Business Presenter: BBC Breakfast
2011 – present