||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (May 2013)|
Stoya at the 2013 AVN Adult Entertainment Expo
June 15, 1986 |
Wilmington, North Carolina, U.S.
|Other names||Stoya Doll|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Weight||115 lb (52 kg; 8.2 st)|
|No. of adult films||44 (per IAFD)|
Stoya was born in Wilmington, North Carolina to a Serbian mother and a Scottish father. As a child, she wanted to become a dancer, and she started attending dance lessons at the age of three. She was home-schooled and got her high-school diploma before the age of sixteen. Because her father worked in IT, Stoya had access to a lot of electronics and gaming equipment, which she says developed her love for technology.
"I was three when I was using DOS. My mom taught me how to read, and my dad taught me how to navigate DOS", she has said. At a later age, Stoya moved to Delaware, where she spent a semester at Delaware College of Art & Design, but she later dropped out. After relocating to Philadelphia, she attended a summer program at UArts. Some of her jobs in Philadelphia included being a secretary, flier distributor, and a go-go dancer. Stoya appeared in several music videos for bands that, according to her, "no one will ever hear of." In May 2009, Stoya said that she would be moving from Philadelphia and relocating to Los Angeles in the fall of that year.
Stoya began posing for pictures with a friend of hers. That eventually led her to modeling and working for alt-erotic websites. One of the websites she had worked for asked if she was willing to do a softcore scene for a DVD they were putting out.
Stoya claims that she discovered pornography through an interest in BDSM and via fetish newsgroups on the internet. She has stated that few adult films interested her and that she prefers those with artistic and fetish themes.
Stoya was featured in two DVD productions for Razordolls, and she made a non-sex, cameo appearance in two Vivid Alt titles before being contacted by Digital Playground with a proposition to perform in a hardcore lesbian scene with Sophia Santi. The scene in question never happened, but, in August 2007, she met with several Digital Playground representatives and was asked if she would star in a pornographic movie with male talent. After careful consideration, Stoya agreed.
In October 2007, Digital Playground signed her to an exclusive, three-year contract. Stoya is regarded as the company's first alt porn contract girl. The first scene that she shot for them was for Stoya Video Nasty (promoted on the DVD box as the first film featuring her engaging in heterosexual intercourse), but her first movie released by the company was Jack's POV 9.
Stoya has stated that exploring her sexuality on camera has been a fun adventure.
Even though Stoya remains under exclusive contract with Digital Playground, Evil Angel director John Stagliano received "special permission" to cast her in the upcoming sequel for the adult film series Voracious.
Stoya enjoys art, and one of her hobbies is creating clothes which she wears in her scenes and during erotic conventions. She likes reading, with sci fi and fantasy being among her favorite genres. Her favorite writers include William Gibson and Anne McCaffrey.
In a blog post, Stoya said that she has mild latex allergies and difficulties with hormonal birth control. In the past, she said that she has had three chemically induced abortions, and states, "I’ve been pretty successful at avoiding pregnancy."
In an interview with The Huffington Post, Stoya revealed that her popularity as a pornstar has made it difficult for her father to enjoy pornography. In the same interview she confirmed to be dating porn actor James Deen.
- 2008 Eroticline Award – Best US Newcomer
- 2009 AVN Award – Best New Starlet
- 2009 AVN Award – Best All-Girl Group Sex Scene (Cheerleaders)
- 2009 XBIZ Award – New Starlet of the Year
- 2009 XRCO Award – New Starlet
- "Stoya". Internet Adult Film Database. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- Brandon Stosuy (2008-01-18). "An Interview with Stoya". The Fanzine. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- "Stoya". Adult Film Database. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- "Official Website". Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- Rog (2008). "Stoya Interview". Rog Reviews. Retrieved 2009-04-25.
- "The Charlatan’s conversation with adult film star Stoya". The Charlatan. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- Shahrazad Encinias (2008-01-30). "Girl On Girl: Stoya". The Naughty America. Archived from the original on 2008-08-05. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- Christopher Wink (2009). "South Philly’s Stoya: adult film it girl on DOS, social media and leaving Philadelphia". Technically Philly. Retrieved 2009-05-27.
- "Fleshbot: You asked, Stoya answered". Fleshbot. 2008-11-18. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- David Sullivan (2007-12-06). "DP's Stoya Makes Her Boy/Girl Debut in Jack's POV 9". Adult Video News. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- "Stoya is the Goth Girl Next Door". Adult Film Database. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- "Digital Playground Announces the exclusive signing of Stoya(tm)" (Press release). Digital Playground. 2007-10-18. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- Matt Stroud (2008-11-12). "Meet South Philly's Stoya". Philadelphia City Paper. citypaper.net. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- Krumm, Allison (2009-05-15). "48 Hours of Philmmaking". Phillyist. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- Hess, Amanda (April 24, 2013). "Stoya, Pop Star of Porn". The Village Voice.
- Dan Miller (2013-06-11). "John Stagliano Discusses 'Voracious' Sequel". XBIZ. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Stoya. "Stoya on Tumblr". Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- Peter Warren (2008-04-21). "XCritic.com Hosts Stoya Contest". Adult Video News. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- Huga Rifkind (2009-06-05). "A most bizarre encounter with Marilyn Manson". The Times. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- Loftus, Cindi (April 2011). "Xcitement Interviews: STOYA". xcitement.com. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "The Choice Of Motherhood and Insidious Drug Store Signage". stoya.tumblr.com. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- Moye, David. "Stoya, Porn Star: My Dad Says I Ruined Porn For Him". www.huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Digital Playground Wins Four Awards at Venus Berlin". Adult Video News. 2008-10-21. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- David Sullivan (2009-01-11). "2009 AVN Award-Winners Announced". AVN. Retrieved 2009-01-11.
- Edward Duncan (2009-02-13). "XBIZ Announces 2009 Award-Winners". Adult Video News. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- "2009 XRCO Award Winners Announced". Adult Video News. 2009-04-16. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stoya.|
- Official website
- Stoya on Myspace
- Stoya on Twitter
- Stoya on Tumblr
- Stoya at the Internet Movie Database
- Stoya at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Stoya at the Adult Film Database
- Blog at XCritic
- Podcast Interview at Adult DVD Talk
- "From Barbie Doll to Razordoll: The Sexual Shift in Porn" by Lauren Mayberry, The Skinny, July 30, 2009.