Suffolk was a constituency of the European Parliament located in the United Kingdom, electing one Member of the European Parliament by the first-past-the-post electoral system. Created in 1979 for the first elections to the European Parliament, it was abolished in 1994 and succeeded by the constituencies of Suffolk and South West Norfolk, Essex North and Suffolk South and Cambridgeshire.
On its creation in 1979, it consisted of the parliamentary constituencies of Bury St Edmunds, Eye, Harwich, Ipswich, Lowestoft and Sudbury and Woodbridge.
After the 1984 boundary changes based on the new UK parliamentary constituencies created in 1983, it consisted of the constituencies of Bury St. Edmunds, Central Suffolk, Ipswich, South East Cambridgeshire, South Suffolk, Suffolk Coastal and Waveney. South East Cambridgeshire had previously been part of Cambridge and Bedfordshire North, while Harwich was now part of Essex North East.
The constituency was abolished in 1994. Bury St Edmunds, Central Suffolk, Ipswich, Suffolk Coastal and Waveney became part of the new European constituency of Suffolk and South West Norfolk. South East Cambridgeshire was transferred to Cambridgeshire, and Suffolk South to Essex North and Suffolk South.
Election results 
- ^ Boundary Commission for England, European Assembly Constituencies, December 1978.
- ^ European Parliament Information Office, MEPs and their constituencies, December 1988
- ^ The European Parliament 1994-1999 : MEPs and European constituencies in the United Kingdom, London : UK Office of the European Parliament, November 1994.
- ^ Europe votes 3 : European parliamentary election results 1989, ed. by T.T. Mackie, Dartmouth, 1990.
- ^ Europe votes 2 : European Parliamentary election results, 1979-1984, eds. T.T. Mackie and F.W.S. Craig, Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services, 1985.
- ^ European Parliament election 1979 : United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland : results of the European election on 7 June 1979, Luxembourg: European Parliament, October 1983
External links