Hertfordshire was a constituency of the European Parliament located in the United Kingdom, electing one Member of the European Parliament by the first-past-the-post electoral system. Created in 1979 for the first elections to the European Parliament, it was abolished in 1999 on the adoption of proportional representation for European elections in the United Kingdom. It was succeeded by the East of England region.
On its creation in 1979, it consisted of the parliamentary constituencies of Hertford and Stevenage, Hertfordshire East, Hertfordshire South, Hertfordshire South West, St Albans, Watford and Welwyn and Hatfield.
After the 1984 boundary changes based on the new UK parliamentary constituencies created in 1983, it consisted of the constituencies of Broxbourne, Hertford and Stortford, Hertsmere, St. Albans, South West Hertfordshire, Watford and Welwyn Hatfield. Stevenage was transferred to Bedfordshire South.
1994 saw further boundary changes and the constituency now consisted of Hertsmere, North Hertfordshire, St. Albans, South West Hertfordshire, Watford, Welwyn Hatfield and West Hertfordshire. Broxbourne as well as Hertford and Stortford were now part of Essex West and Hertfordshire East. North Hertfordshire and West Hertfordshire had previously been part of Bedfordshire South.
The entire area became part of the East of England constituency in 1999.
- ^ Boundary Commission for England, European Assembly Constituencies, December 1978.
- ^ European Parliament Information Office, MEPs and their constituencies, December 1988
- ^ The European Parliament 1994-1999 : MEPs and European constituencies in the United Kingdom, London : UK Office of the European Parliament, November 1994.
- ^ Europe elections 1994 : results and elected members, Directorate-General for Information and Public Relations, Luxembourg: European Parliament, 15 June 1994.
- ^ http://www.election.demon.co.uk/epe1.html
- ^ Europe votes 3 : European parliamentary election results 1989, ed. by T.T. Mackie, Dartmouth, 1990.
- ^ Europe votes 2 : European Parliamentary election results, 1979-1984, eds. T.T. Mackie and F.W.S. Craig, Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services, 1985.
- ^ European Parliament election 1979 : United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland : results of the European election on 7 June 1979, Luxembourg: European Parliament, October 1983