Sunshine railway station, Melbourne
Westbound view from Platform 2 in May 2014
|Address||Station Place, Sunshine|
|Distance||12.25 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||4 (1 island, 2 side)|
|Opened||7 September 1885|
|Myki zone||1/2 overlap|
|Station status||Premium station|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
Sunshine railway station is located on the Sunbury line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the western Melbourne suburb of Sunshine opening on 7 September 1885 as Braybrook Junction being renamed Sunshine on 15 July 1907. It is also served by V/Line Ballarat services.
It is the junction for the Serviceton line to the state's west. The Melbourne - Sydney standard gauge line passes to the north of the station. In 2013/14, the station was rebuilt as part of the Regional Rail Link project.
The Melbourne & Murray River Railway (now named the Bendigo line) originating from Spencer Street station was built in the late 1850s from Footscray station to Sunbury and Bendigo, however no station was built at that time on the current site; the closest station was Albion & Darlington on the site of the current Albion station.
In 1885 the Serviceton line from Melbourne to Ballarat via Bacchus Marsh was built, branching off from the Bendigo line, and a station at the junction of the two lines was built. The station opened on 7 September 1885, as Braybrook Junction, named such as it was at the junction of the two lines and lay in the Shire of Braybrook.
In 1907 Braybrook Junction station was renamed Sunshine when Hugh McKay moved his Sunshine Harvester Works adjacent to the station. On 20 April 1908 Sunshine was the scene of the worst train crash in Victorian railway history, the Sunshine train disaster.
The Albion-Jacana line opened in 1929 connecting Sunshine station with the North East line allowing freight trains to avoid the steeper grades and suburban traffic on the suburban line between North Melbourne, Essendon and Broadmeadows.
The road level crossing at Sunshine was removed when grade separation was carried out in 1961. Boom barriers were provided at the Anderson Road level crossing with the Bendigo line in the same year.
A fourth platform was opened in January 1963 on the adjacent Melbourne - Sydney standard gauge line, to enable passengers to transfer between the interstate Sydney and Adelaide expresses. In 1965 control of signals at Albion station was transferred to the signal box at Sunshine. Boom barriers were provided at the Anderson Street level crossing with the Ballarat line in 1977.
- a new bus interchange completed in September 2013
- constructing a new footbridge and concourse completed in January 2014
- upgrading Platforms 1 and 2 with new canopies
- rebuilding Platform 3 and a new Platform 4 both completed in April 2014
Facilities, platforms & services
Sunshine has two side platforms and a centre island platform. Access is provided to the platforms using stairs, lifts and ramps from an overhead footbridge and concourse featuring a customer service window, an enclosed waiting room and toilets. It is serviced by Metro Trains' Sunbury line and V/Line Ballarat services.
CDC Melbourne operate three routes via Sunshine station:
- 400: to Laverton station (shared with Sita Buslines)
- 408: St Albans - Highpoint Shopping Centre
- 410: to Footscray station
Sita Buslines operate five routes to and from Sunshine station:
- 420: to Watergardens station
- 427: to Sunshine West
- 428: to Sunshine West
- 456: to Melton
- 471: to Williamstown
Transdev Melbourne operate four routes via Sunshine station:
- 216: Caroline Springs - Brighton Beach station
- 219: Sunshine Park - Gardenvale
- 220: to Gardenvale
- 903: Altona station - Mordialloc station
- Sunshine Vicsig
- Brimbank City Council - Travelling: Roads, Railways and Bridges
- SE Dornan & RG Henderson (1979). Electric Railways of Victoria. Australian Electric Traction Society. p. 68. ISBN 0-909459-06-1.
- Andrew Waugh. "VR History by Andrew Waugh - Bendigo Line". vrhistory.com. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail (Australian Railway Historical Society): page 310. October 1997.
- Sunshine railway station Regional Rail Link
- Sunshine bus interchange Regional Rail Link
- Commuters have new concourse at Sunshine The Courier 3 January 2014
- Ballarat services now stopping at new, dedicated platforms at Sunshine station Premier of Victoria 28 April 2014 Retrieved 03-05-2014
- "Ballarat services now stopping at new, dedicated platforms at Sunshine station" Railway Digest June 2014 page 21
- Geelong and Warrnambool trains to run via Regional Rail Link from 21 June 2015 V/Line
- Sunbury Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Ballarat - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 400 Sunshine - Laverton timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 408 St Albans - Highpoint Shopping Centre timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 410 Sunshine - Footscray timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 420 Sunshine - Watergardens timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 427 Sunshine - Sunshine West timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 428 Sunshine - Sunshine West timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 456 Sunshine - Melton timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 471 Williamstown - Sunshine timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 216 Caroline Springs - Brighton Beach Public Transport Victoria
- .Route 219 Sunshine Park - Gardenvale timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 220 Sunshine - Gardenvale timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 903 Altona - Mordialloc timetable Public Transport Victoria