Swallow Falls State Park
|Swallow Falls State Park|
|Maryland State Park|
Muddy Creek Falls
|Elevation||2,382 ft (726 m) |
|Area||257 acres (104 ha) |
|Owner||Maryland Department of Natural Resources|
|IUCN category||V - Protected Landscape/Seascape|
|Nearest city||Oakland, Maryland|
|Website: Swallow Falls State Park|
Swallow Falls State Park is a Maryland state park in Garrett County, in the United States, located nine miles (14 km) north of Oakland, Maryland on the west bank of the Youghiogheny River. The park contains Maryland's highest free falling waterfall, the 53-foot (16 m) Muddy Creek Falls, as well as smaller waterfalls on the Youghiogheny River and Tolivar Creek. The park is notable for its stand of old Hemlock trees, some more than 300 years old, one of the few remaining in the state.
Activities and amenities
The park contains 65 campsites, a picnic area with a pavilion and playground, as well as approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) of hiking trails. A 5.5-mile (8.9 km) trail for hiking and mountain biking connects the state park with Herrington Manor State Park, which is managed in conjunction with Swallow Falls.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Swallow Falls State Park
- "FY2013 DNR Owned Lands Acreage Report". Maryland DNR. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "Muddy Creek Falls, Garrett County". Maryland Geological Survey. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "Swallow Falls State Park". Maryland DNR. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "The State of Chesapeake Forests". The Conservation Fund. 2006. Retrieved November 27, 2013. "Just west of the Chesapeake Bay watershed, in Maryland’s Swallow Falls State Park, an ancient hemlock forest, moist and sensitive to fire, provides a chance to experience a cool, dark woodland, with deadfalls of centuries-old trees."
- Francis Champ Zumbrun. "Famous Travelers: Edison, Ford, Firestone: The Vagabonds Camp at Muddy Creek Falls". Maryland DNR. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- Swallow Falls State Park Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- Swallow Falls State Park World Database on Protected Areas