Ten New Songs
|Ten New Songs|
|Studio album by Leonard Cohen|
|Released||09th October 2001|
|Recorded||late 1999 – mid 2001
Still Life Studios, Los Angeles;
Small Mercies studio, Hollywood
|Leonard Cohen chronology|
Ten New Songs is Leonard Cohen's tenth studio album, released in 2001. It was co-written and produced by Sharon Robinson. She played all the instruments except for Bob Metzger's guitar work on "In My Secret Life". The album peaked at #143 on the Billboard 200, #4 in Canada (where it went platinum), #1 in Poland (where it went platinum) and #1 in Norway.
- "In My Secret Life" – 4:55
- "A Thousand Kisses Deep" (feat. string arrangements by David Campbell) – 6:29
- "That Don't Make It Junk" – 4:28
- "Here It Is" – 4:18
- "Love Itself" – 5:26
- "By the Rivers Dark" – 5:20
- "Alexandra Leaving" (based on "The God Abandons Antony", a poem by Constantine P. Cavafy) – 5:25
- "You Have Loved Enough" – 5:41
- "Boogie Street" – 6:04
- "The Land of Plenty" – 4:35
Eric Burdon, Katie Melua, Till Brönner and Edo Zanki have recorded "In My Secret Life". Luciana Souza recorded "Here It Is" on her album The New Bossa Nova. Jonathan Richman recorded "Here It Is" for his 2008 album Because Her Beauty Is Raw & Wild.
"A Thousand Kisses Deep" was used in the movie The Good Thief, in the 2010 French movie Le bruit des glaçons, and in Season 3 of the TV Series Veronica Mars. It was also covered by Chris Botti in his album of the same name in 2003.
"Alexandra Leaving" was covered by Canadian singer Patricia O'Callaghan on her fifth solo album Matador: The Songs of Leonard Cohen in late 2011. It has also been covered by Anne Hills and Allan Olsen.
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||100,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Discogs - Still Life Studios (Leonard Cohen's private studio) profile
- Discogs - Ten New Songs 2001 US promo
- Allmusic review
- Robert Christgau review
- Pitchfork Media review
- Rolling Stone review
- "Oficjalna lista sprzedaży :: OLIS - Official Retail Sales Chart - 29 October 2001 (sales for the period 15.10.2001 - 21.10.2001)". OLiS. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Discogs - Music On Vinyl profile and dicography
- Discogs - Ten New Songs 2009 Netherlands remastered vinyl, Barcode: 5099750120217
- "Everyday Companion Online - That Don't Make It Junk". Everydaycompanion.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Canadian album certifications – Leonard Cohlen – Ten New Songs". Music Canada.
- "Polish album certifications – Leonard Cohlen – Ten New Songs" (in Polish). Polish Producers of Audio and Video (ZPAV).