4 May 1964 |
|Genres||Jazz, Scandinavian traditional|
Terje Isungset (born May 4, 1964 Hol, Norway) is a Norwegian musician (primarily as a percussionist) and composer. From his background in jazz and traditional Scandinavian music, he has designed musical instruments from non-traditional materials including ice.
Isungset was raised in Geilo where he played traditional dance music with his father (accordion) during his high school days. Moving to Bergen in 1984 led him to be a popular member of a number Bergen Groups, «Ictus» and «Tordenskjolds soldater» 1984-85, «Growl» and «Gruv» 1984-88, «Saksbehandlerne» and «Night and Day» 1985-86, «Salsa Pati» 1985-87, «Supply» 1985-88, in addition to periods within the Big Band «Emanon» from 1986, and recording debut Amalgamation (1985) with Kenneth Sivertsen.
Isungset is after more than two decades on the Bergen and Norwegian Jazz scenes, one of Europe's most accomplished and innovative percussionists. With more than 20 years experience in jazz and Scandinavian traditional music he raises these narrow formes of music far beyond their traditional boundaries, becoming more like a crossover between a sound artist and a shaman. When crafting his own instruments from Norwegian natural elements such as arctic birch, granite, slate, sheep bells and even ice, he is highly recommended to those sensible to the poetry and simplicity of sounds.
His work is highly acclaimed in the press, often described as innovative, visual, energetic, and different from any previously known concepts. His love for ice music was raised in 1999 when the commission of the winter games in Lillehammer Olympics asked him to compose and play in a frozen waterfall. Isungset has also been commissioned to compose music for Jazz Festivals, Dance Performances, Theatre, Film, etc., with 35 commissed concerts.
- 2010: Organic expressions, project with three dancers (Rebecca Hytting, Guro Rimeslåtten, Christine Kjellberg) from the Carte Blanche Dance Company
- 2012: Isslottet, at the Oslo Opera and Ballet
- 1997: Reise (NorCD)
- 2000: Floating Rhythms (Via Music)
- 2002: Iceman Is (Jazzland/Virgin), with Arve Henriksen
- 2003: Middle of Mist (NorCD)
- 2006: Igloo (All Ice Records), nominated for Spellemannprisen in the class Jazz, with Sidsel Endresen
- 2007: Two Moons (All Ice Records), with Per Jørgensen
- 2008: Ice Concerts (All Ice Records)
- 2009: Hibernation (All Ice Records)
- 2010: Winter Songs (All Ice Records/Virgin)
- 2010: Icemusic (All Ice Records), compilation
- 2012: Meditations (All Ice Records)
- With Kenneth Sivertsen
- Within Karl Seglem's «Sogn-A-Song»
- Within Isglem (duo with Karl Seglem)
- 1991: Rom (NorCD)
- 1992: To Steg (NorCD)
- 1996: Null G (NorCD)
- 2003: Fire (NorCD)
- Within «Orleysa», fest. Tore Brunborg
- 1991: Orleysa (Odin Records)
- 1993: Svanshornet (Odin Records)
- Within «Utla» (including Håkon Høgemo & Karl Seglem)
- 1992: Utla (NorCD)
- 1993: Juv (NorCD)
- 1995: Brodd (NorCD)
- 1999: Dans (NorCD)
- 2003: Song (NorCD), feat. Berit Opheim Versto
- Within «Groupa» (including Jonas Simonson & Mats Edén)
- 1999: Lavalek (Xource)
- 2008: Frost (Footprint)
- With other projects
- 1995: Haugtussa (Kirkelig Kulturverksted), with poems by Arne Garborg (including Lynni Treekrem, Annbjørg Lien, Arild Andersen, Børge Petersen-Øverleir, Hans Fredrik Jacobsen, Ketil Bjørnstad, Per Hillestad & Tone Hulbækmo)
- 1995: Det syng (Kirkelig Kulturverksted), with Lynni Treekrem
- 1996: Prosa (NorCD), with poems by Jon Fosse (including Arve Henriksen, Håkon Høgemo, Karl Seglem & Reidar Skår)
- 1996: Tya - frå Bor til Bytes (NorCD), with Elin Rosseland, Karl Seglem & Reidar Skår
- 1998: Spir (NorCD), with Karl Seglem, Berit Opheim Versto, Morten Sæle & Audun Erlien
- 1999: Bergtatt, with Grete Helgerød & Oslo Kammerkor
- 2000: Daa (NorCD), trio with Arve Henriksen & Karl Seglem
- 2001: Shadows And Light (FMR Records), duo with Frode Gjerstad
- 2004: New North (NorCD), with Karl Seglem
- 2005: Didier Petit - Terje Isungset (Vossa Jazz Records), duo with Didier Petit live at Vossajazz 2003
- 2006: Aihki (Ektro Records), duo with Jorma Tapio
- 2006: Sáivu, with Arve Henriksen & Torgeir Vassvik
- 2006: On the Great Alkali Plains (Jester Records), with Espen Jørgensen
- 2008: Agbalagba Daada (Ektro Records), duo with Per Jørgensen
- 2008: Laden With Rain (FMR Records), duo with Stian Westerhus
- 2008: Sådagen (Etnisk musikklubb), with Eilif Gundersen, Gunnlaug Lien Myhr & Tor Egil Kreken
- 2011: City Stories (NorCD), with Daniel Herskedal
- 2011: Beginner's Guide to Scandinavia (Nascente/Virgin), with various artists
- "Isungset, Terje - Biography" (in Norwegian). Norsk Musikkinformasjon MIC.no. 2011-03-21. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- "Terje Isungset Drummer, Composer - Directory". MIC.no. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- "The music that melted". BBC Radio 4. 2011-02-08. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- Eikeland, Else Berit (January 2012). "The coolest music on earth". Norwegian Embassy. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- Talkington, Fiona (2003-03-05). "Terje Isungset Iceman Is Review". BBC Music. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- Official website
- Terje Isunset Homepage
- Ice Music Website
- Ice Festival Val Senales Website
- All Ice Website
- Norwegian Ice Festival Website
- Foxy Digitalis interview, 2006
|Recipient of the Vossajazzprisen
|Recipient of the «Open class» Edvardprisen