|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015)|
|Origin||New York City|
|Labels||A&M/Octone, Atlantic, Big Beat, Interscope, Kitsuné, Neon Gold|
|Associated acts||Fred Falke, Gary Go, Alex Winston, Samuel, Chromeo, Ellie Goulding, St. Lucia, Mat Zo|
|Members||Ben "B-Roc" Ruttner
James "Mr. JPatt" Patterson
The Knocks are an electronic music duo consisting of Ben "B-Roc" Ruttner and James "JPatt" Patterson. They are known for their own releases on labels such as Kitsuné, Neon Gold, and A&M Octone-Interscope and for their remixes which feature prominently on HypeMachine, Beatport, and various DJs' setlists.
The duo's name, "The Knocks", refers to the early days in their career when neighbors would knock on their door for playing music too loudly. Before focusing on their own music and remixes, they were producing beats and remixes for the likes of Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Marina & the Diamonds, Rihanna, Flo-Rida, Sky Ferreira, Theophilus London, Ellie Goulding, and others.
Their single "Make It Better", released in 2010 on Neon Gold Records, was used in the US for a nationally televised Corona campaign. Their 2010 single "Dancing with the DJ" was an instant online success. Philadelphia hip-hop band Chiddy Bang sampled The Knocks' "Blackout" for their single "Here We Go" (featuring Q-Tip) from their EP The Preview. Chiddy Bang subsequently sampled The Knocks' "When You've Got Music" and "Dancing with the DJ" for their mixtape Peanut Butter and Swelly.
In 2012, their cover of "Midnight City" by M83 featuring vocals by Mandy Lee, had 10,000 downloads in its first week on the website SoundCloud. In June, the duo took the number one spot on the website HypeMachine with the track "Learn to Fly", which reached 100,000 plays on SoundCloud within a week of its release. "Geronimo", a collaboration with French producer Fred Falke, was released on Kitsuné Records in July 2012.
2013 brought another successful single, "Modern Hearts", which earned the group another number-one placing on HypeMachine and reached the 100,000 plays mark on SoundCloud in four days. In 2014, The Knocks released a single on Neon Gold Records/Big Beat Records, "Classic", featuring alt-pop duo POWERS. An official video was released that paid homage to video game The Sims.
The band have actively encouraged fans to set up after-parties following their shows where they DJ. Typically these are at colleges, dorms, late night spots or anywhere available.
The Knocks' first US tour was opening for Ellie Goulding. Supporting Dragonette's American/Canadian tour in 2012, they also played alongside Diplo, Justice, Boys Noize, and Knife Party on the Holy Ship!. During 2013, The Knocks began touring with Alex Clare and commenced a college tour with Grouplove.
The Knocks have shared the stage with artists such as Deadmau5, Skrillex, Big Boi, M.I.A., Sleigh Bells, Tiesto, Martin Solveig, Weezer, Die Antwoord, Two Door Cinema Club, and Calvin Harris.
Ahead of Daft Punk's 2013 album release Random Access Memories, the band were accused of unmasking Daft Punk with photos of the band playing beer-pong with champagne glasses in Columbia Records' offices. The band responded that they did not take the photos, which were in fact a re-post from another user, and furthermore many pictures of Daft Punk without masks freely and openly exist.
- Magic (2011)
- Comfortable (2013)
- "Blackout" (2010)
- "Make It Better" (2010)
- "Dancing with the DJ" (2010)
- "Brightside" (2011)
- "Geronimo" (2012)
- "The Feeling" (2012)
- "Comfortable" (2013) (feat. X Ambassadors)
- "Modern Hearts" (2013) (feat. St. Lucia)
- "DWYT" (2014) (Treasure Fingers & The Knocks)
- "Classic" (2014) (feat. Powers)
- Dragonette – "Let It Go"
- Ellie Goulding – "Starry Eyed"
- Foster the People – "Pumped Up Kicks"
- Goldroom – "Only You Can Show Me"
- Grouplove – "Ways to Go"
- Haim – "Forever"
- Haim – "If I Could Change Your Mind"
- Katy Perry – "I Kissed a Girl"
- Monsieur Adi feat A*M*E – "What's Going On"
- Of Monsters & Men – "Little Talks"
- Santigold – "The Keepers"
- Tegan & Sara – "Closer"
- Two Door Cinema Club – "Sleep Alone"
- Youngblood Hawke – "We Come Running"
- The 1975 – "Girls"
- "The Knocks Music | RCRD LBL | Free MP3 Downloads". Rcrd Lbl. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "Interview With James Patterson of The Knocks". The Sights and Sounds. 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- "Pictures of 20 hottest producers in music right now – Photos". Nme.Com. 2010-09-23. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "Listen to The Knocks – PopWrap". Nypost.com. 2010-04-20. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "Chiddy Bang ft. Q-Tip – Here We Go". Thehiphopupdate.com. 2010-10-02. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- Posted Sep 10th 2010 7:00PM by Carter Maness Comments  (2010-09-10). "Big Boi Surprises NYU Student Body". The Boombox. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "The Knocks playing NYU Mystery Concert, CMJ w/ Holy Ghost! who play PS1 Saturday & other dates". Brooklynvegan.com. 2010-09-02. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "Watch now: The Knocks "Make It Better" | The Volume | Time Out New York". .timeoutny.com. 2010-10-08. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "THEKLA – Possibly the best bar and venue in Bristol". www.theklabristol.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "The Knocks Live Debut in NYC w/Holy Ghost & UK Dates with Sleigh Bells". HeavyRoc Music. 2010-07-21. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "Daft Punk Mystery Solved". The Daily Beast. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-10-03.