Back Yard Recordings
|Members||David Macklovitch (Dave 1)
Patrick Gemayel (P-Thugg)
Chromeo is composed of P-Thugg (real name Patrick Gemayel, born in Lebanon on July 31, 1979 and moved to Canada at the age of 8) on keyboards, synthesizers, and talk box, and Dave 1 (real name David Macklovitch, born June 7, 1978) on guitar and lead vocals. The two childhood friends jokingly describe themselves as "the only successful Arab/Jewish partnership since the dawn of human culture."
The duo met in the mid-1990s at Collège Stanislas in Montreal when Macklovitch joined Gemayel's band, around the time they were both 15. During this time, Macklovitch's younger brother A-Trak started winning the Disco Mix Club Championships, becoming World Champion in 1997.
After the band, Dave 1 and P-Thugg started to produce hip hop together. Also, at this time Tiga was working with Dave 1 at a record store and asked Dave 1 to work on a project for his label, Turbo. Dave 1 and P-Thugg signed as Chromeo in 2004, and started creating tracks in 2002.
The debut album, She's in Control, released in 2004, defined Chromeo and started their music career. Reviews were mostly favorable, comparing the sound to 1980s groups like Hall & Oates, Klymaxx and Sylvester. "Needy Girl" became a world wide club hit. According to Dave 1, "She's in Control didn’t blow up. But we had 'Needy Girl,' and 'Needy Girl' was like a musical passport. That song went all around the world and DJs played it everywhere." In 2005, Chromeo released a mix CD of funky dance tracks on Eskimo Belgium records entitled Un Joli Mix Pour Toi (A Pretty Mix For You). During early 2007, Chromeo supported indie rock group Bloc Party on their British tour.
The album took them on a two-year world tour performing in festivals such as Glastonbury, Reading and Leeds in the UK, Fujirock in Japan, Iceland Airwaves in Iceland, Pemberton Music Festival in Canada and Coachella, Bonnaroo, Rothbury Festival and Lollapalooza in the US.
Chromeo contributed to K7's mixed series titled DJ-Kicks: Chromeo. In summer 2010, the track "Fancy Footwork" was used as the soundtrack for a VO5 Extreme Hair Gel advertisement in the UK. The YouTube video of the original release in 2008 had over 666,000 hits by late July 2010.
Chromeo released their third studio album entitled Business Casual to critical acclaim on September 14, 2010. In the time since the release, the music video for "Night By Night" has received over 4 million views on YouTube, the band has appeared on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, been on the cover of Future Magazine, and sold out The Forum in London.
Over the years Chromeo's music has featured in a number of video games starting with Space Colony in 2003, which used the group's "So Gangsta" single as its main theme song. The Yuksek Remix of "Bonified Lovin" was then used in FIFA 09 and "Don't Turn The Lights On" was featured in FIFA 11, exposing the band to a new group of listeners. In 2011, "Don't Turn The Lights On" was again featured in Dirt 3.
At the beginning of March 2011, Chromeo sent out notice that they had recorded the "world's smallest album," entitled Drive Time, which consists of 55 songs in only 183 seconds. About a week later, it was revealed that Drive Time is actually a free musical Nokia Own Voice satellite navigation pack for Ovi Maps, made for usage with Nokia's compatible cell phones. A red vinyl 5" single consisting of regular, instrumental and a cappella versions of "Turn Left" and "Follow" was released to promote it, with a sticker on the shrink wrap saying that it was a numbered limited edition of 40 copies.
Early September 2013, the group announced their fourth album "White Women" with a trailer video featuring the track "Over Your Shoulder".
- Studio albums
- 2004: She's in Control
- 2007: Fancy Footwork (#11 on Dance/Electronic Albums, #25 on Top Heatseekers)
- 2010: Business Casual (#70 on Billboard 200, #4 on Dance/Electronic Albums, #20 on Digital Albums)
- 2013: White Women
- Mixed compilations
- 2005: Un Joli Mix Pour Toi
- 2006: Ce Soir on Danse
- 2009: DJ-Kicks: Chromeo
- She's in Control
- Fancy Footwork
- "Fancy Footwork" 12" (with Thomas Barfod and Surkin remixes)
- "Fancy Footwork" UK EP (with Zdar dub and Guns N Bombs remixes)
- "Fancy Footwork" UK 12" (with Laidback Luke and Kissy Sell Out remixes)k
- "Tenderoni" 12" (with Etienne de Crécy and Proxy remixes)
- "Tenderoni" UK 12" (with MSTRKRFT and Sinden remixes)
- "Bonafied Lovin'" 12" (with Riot in Belgium, Les Petits Pilous and Jori Hulkkonen remixes)
- "Bonafied Lovin'" UK 12" (with Yuksek, Teenagers and Headman remixes)
- DJ Kicks
- "I Can't Tell You Why" 7"
- Business Casual
- "Night By Night" (free download with Skreak and Siriusmo remixes)
- "Don't Turn The Lights On" 12" (with Aeroplane, Carte Blanche and Christian Martin remixes)
- "Hot Mess" 12" (with Duck Sauce, Djedjotronic and Riva Starr remixes)
- "When The Night Falls" 12" (with Crowdpleaser and Hercules & Love Affair remixes)
- "When The Night Falls" EP (with Breakbot, Hercules & Love Affair, Lifelike remixes and Mayer Hawthorne cover)
- White Women
- "Over Your Shoulder" (with "Sexy Socialite")
- Needy Girl, directed by: Tomorrow's Brightest Minds
- Rage, directed by: Moh Azima
- Tenderoni, directed by: Surface2Air
- Bonafied Lovin, directed by: Nina Nourizadeh
- Fancy Footwork, directed by: Ben Levine
- Momma's Boy, directed by: Stephane Manel
- Night by Night, directed by: Surface2Air
- Don't Turn the Lights On, directed by: Keith Schofield
- Hot Mess, directed by: Surface2Air
- When the Night Falls, directed by: DANIELS
- "I Could Be Wrong" (featuring Ezra Koenig), directed by: ?
- 2004: Cut Copy: "Future"
- 2004: Sebastien Tellier: "Ketchup vs. Genocide"
- 2006: Lenny Kravitz: "Breathe"
- 2007: Feist: "Sea Lion Woman"
- 2008: Treasure Fingers: "Cross the Dancefloor"
- 2008: Surkin: "Chrome Knight"
- 2008: Vampire Weekend: "The Kids Don't Stand a Chance"
- 2009: Tiga: "What You Need"
- 2010: Aeroplane: "Superstar"
- 2011: Mayer Hawthorne: "A Long Time"
- 2013: Boys Noize: "What You Want"
Awards and nominations
- 2007 Bucky Awards - Best Sweatin' to the Indies Workout Song - "Fancy Footwork"
- 2008 Left Field Woodie – (Most Original Artist)
- 2008 MTV Video Music Awards Nominee
- 2008 Juno Awards Nominee for "Dance Recording of the Year" - "Fancy Footwork" 
- 2011 MTV Video Music Awards Nominee for "Best Special Effects"
- 2011 Juno Awards Nominee for "Dance Recording of the Year" - "Business Casual" 
- In 2006, the group was featured in DJ Mehdi's song "I am Somebody."
- Chromeo and Daryl Hall of Hall & Oates teamed up in the Summer of 2008 for a jam session on Live from Daryl's House. They teamed up once again for a live performance at the 2010 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester, TN.
- On October 17, 2007, they performed "Fancy Footwork" on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
- On June 17, 2008, they made a second appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! and performed "Fancy Footwork" again.
- On November 8, 2008, they appeared on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, performing an unplugged version of "Momma's Boy" with an eight piece string section.
- In February 2009, they appeared on Yo Gabba Gabba with an original song about washing hands.
- On September 20, 2010 they appeared on Late Show with David Letterman performing "Night By Night."
- On February 21, 2011 they appeared on Conan, performing "Hot Mess."
- On March 27, 2011 they performed "Hot Mess" live at the 2011 Juno Awards.
- On November 9, 2011 they performed "When The Night Falls" on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
- On July 7, 2012 the duo was the live Grand Closing Event of the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal and performed a mix of songs from Fancy Footwork and Business Casual.
- On October 29, 2013 they performed "Sexy Socialite" on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
- "Chromeo Bio, Music, News & Shows". DJZ.com. Retrieved March 7, 2013.
- "CHROMEO on Myspace Music". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- Jambands.com - "Kicking It With Chromeo"
- Aaron Joseph (July 2007). "P-Thugg interview @ The Official Chromeo Make Up Party". www.mvremix.com. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "DMC DJ Championships". Dmcdjchamps.com. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- DJDownload.com - Review: DJ KiCKS Re(Mix)
- vinnie baggadonuts, changed man (February 2004). "cd review CHROMEO - SHE'S IN CONTROL". www.tlchicken.com. tastes like chicken, LLC. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Mark Pytlik (staff) (22 February 2004). "Album Review Chromeo She's In Control". pitchfork.com. Pitchfork. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Rolling Stone - Review: She's In Control[dead link]
- "Issue #67 featuring Chromeo Interview with Dave 1 and P-Thugg". www.ionmagazine.ca. ION Publishing Group. 8 September 2010. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- StarPulse - Review: Fancy Footwork
- URB.com - Chromeo – Fancy Footwork (Review), July 24, 2007
-  Chromeo YouTube Channel
- Robert Jackman (25 July 2010). "BBC - Music - Review of Chromeo - Fancy Footwork". www.bbc.co.uk. BBC. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Department of French and Romance Philology - Graduate Student Profiles". Columbia.edu. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Faculty | Barnard College". Barnard.edu. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Chromeo Make "World's Smallest Album"". Exclaim!. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- "Nokia - Own Voice for Ovi Maps". Nokia. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- Grant Lawrence (19 December 2007). "CBC Radio 3 Podcast with Grant Lawrence #135 - The 2007 Bucky Awards". radio3.cbc.ca. CBC Radio 3. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- by Shelia. "mtvU "Woodie Awards" Winners Announcement: Paramore, Motion City Soundtrack, Chromeo, Jack’s Mannequin and More " e-Spot – The Entertainment Spot". Espot.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "2011 VMA Nominations" MTV.com". MTV.com. Retrieved 2011-07-20.
- "Chromeo And Daryl Hall — Yes, Of Hall & Oates — Team Up For Sure-To-Be-Epic Jam Session » MTV Newsroom". Newsroom.mtv.com. 2008-07-28. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Artists". Bonnaroo. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Chromeo on Jimmy Kimmel Live!". Culture Bully. 2007-11-01. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Chromeo "Fancy Footwork" on Jimmy Kimmel Live! 6-17-08 - Elbows Music Blog Aggregator". Elbo.ws. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Chromeo on Conan O'Brien performing "Momma's Boy" with an 8-piece string section; J!-ENT entertainment news pop culture TV music DVD Blu-ray reviews fashion celebrity USA Asia UK". Nt2099.com. 2008-11-07. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Chromeo Visits Kids Show "Yo Gabba Gabba!" (Video)". TheMusic.FM. 2009-02-27. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Three free major events". Festival International de Jazz de Montréal. 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- Chromeo Live Review On SPIN.com
- Chromeo interview from Field Day 08
- Interview with P-Thugg on UGO.com
- Rehearsal Space: Chromeo
- "She's In Control" available for streaming download at Vice Records
- Video interview with Chromeo
- Another Video interview with Chromeo on Scion Broadband
- Chromeo Interview
- Live From Daryl's House with special guest Chromeo
- Night by Night Remix by The Tremulance
- Night by Night Live with Holy Ghost
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chromeo.|