The Summer Set
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (August 2011)|
|The Summer Set|
The Summer Set performing during the Wonders of the Younger Tour in 2011
|Genres||Pop rock, pop punk, powerpop, acoustic|
|Labels||The Militia Group (2007–2009)
Razor & Tie (2009–2012)
Fearless Records (2012-present)
|Associated acts||The Maine, All Time Low|
|Past members||Kennedy Brock|
The Summer Set are an American pop rock band from Scottsdale, Arizona. The band currently consists of vocalist Brian Dales, guitarist, backing vocalist and pianist John Gomez, bassist Stephen Gomez, guitarist Josh Montgomery and drummer Jess Bowen.
After a few years of playing music together, Jess Bowen and brothers John and Stephen Gomez, set out in the fall of 2007 to form The Summer Set with newfound vocalist Brian Dales. Jess, John, and Stephen played in a previous band called Last Call For Camden with Kennedy Brock (The Maine) and guitarist Weston Michl. LCFC had released one CD entitled "Keep Your Feet On the Ground" before breaking up. The Summer Set self-released their first EP, "Love The Love You Have," in November 2007.
The band signed a record deal with The Militia Group in April 2008. The band then set out to record their debut EP entitled ...In Color was released on iTunes June 24 and was reviewed on several music websites. They recorded a pop punk version of Usher's hit song "Love in This Club". They released the song for download on their Buzznet page. The band released their third EP Meet Me on the Left Coast in December 2008, with two new tracks. It also featured "Love in This Club" as an iTunes bonus track.
The band's debut album and first full-length record, Love Like This, was released October 13, 2009. The band appeared on the Punk Goes Classic Rock CD released by Fearless Records, covering "I Wanna Rock and Roll All Nite" by Kiss. They re-released their debut album Love Like This, titled Love Like Swift, on July 6, 2010, featuring five new Taylor Swift cover songs. The band played the entire Warped Tour 2010 on the Glamour Kills Stage. They, also, played on the Dirty Work Tour along with All Time Low, Yellowcard, and Hey Monday.
On the April 5, 2011 episode of Dancing with the Stars, actress Chelsea Kane and partner Mark Ballas danced a Cha-Cha-Cha set to The Summer Set's "Chelsea". In a behind-the-scenes package shown prior to the dance, Kane revealed that the song was written for her by Brian Dales, whom she had been in a relationship with at the time.
Everything's Fine is The Summer Set's second full length album, released on July 19, 2011 through Razor & Tie.
For the record, the group spent some time songwriting with Paul Doucette of Matchbox 20 and Mike Daly of Whiskeytown in Nashville, and recording with veteran producer John Fields, whose work stretches from the likes of Har Mar Superstar to Paul Westerberg to Andrew W.K. “He pushed us hard, and he brought so much in us,” says the singer. “We had some early demos that sounded like our last record, but when we were done, everything sounded so new and different.”
Everything’s Fine presents a more nuanced story of The Summer Set. Even the sad face on the album’s cover is a hint that there are several new sides to the group. “The title is a bit sarcastic,” admits Gomez. “Our first record was just one emotion. Everything’s Fine is yin and yang. We’ve had some ups and downs recently, some breakups, some general trials and tribulations. This is a record that says we’re young, but growing up and experiencing new things. So in a way, it’s optimistic, too." 
On June 6, The Summer Set launched a poll through their MySpace page, asking fans to pick the next song they would reveal from the album. Songs included "Thick As Thieves", "Back To Start" and "When We Were Young". "When We Were Young" was revealed as the winner after one week of voting.
The Summer Set released their third studio album, Legendary, on April 16, 2013 through new record label Fearless Records. The lead single, Boomerang was released in March, and the accompanying music video was released in June. The band played the entire Warped Tour. They are now set to play the iHeartRadio Music Festival this September in Las Vegas. They won a spot after being named the winner of Macy's iHeartRadio Rising Star Contest/
In 2009, the band opened up Alternative Press's AP Tour, hitting the road with bands such as The Cab, Never Shout Never, Hey Monday and Every Avenue. Following the AP Tour, the band headed out on the road with Cartel. In 2010, the band went on to play several festivals including The Bamboozle festival and the Vans Warped Tour. The band participated in the free OurZone Magazine Tour, which was seven dates in the UK during May 2011. They were also part of the Dirty Work Tour including All Time Low, Yellowcard and Hey Monday. The tour began in March 2011 and ran through May 2011, covering most of the US. In 2013, the Summer Set performed on the Vans Warped Tour 2013 on the Kia Forte Stage and Tilly's Stage.
- Brian Dales – vocals
- Jess Bowen – drums
- John Gomez – guitar, piano, back up vocals
- Stephen Gomez – bass
- Josh Montgomery – guitar
- Love The Love You Have EP (Self released, November 30, 2007)
- ...In Color EP (The Militia Group, June 24, 2008)
- Meet Me On The Left Coast EP (The Militia Group, December 12, 2008)
- Love Like This (Razor & Tie, October 13, 2009)
- Love Like Swift (Razor & Tie, July 6, 2010)
- Everything's Fine, (Razor & Tie, July 19, 2011)
- What Money Can't Buy EP, (Self released, November 28, 2011)
- Legendary, (Fearless Records, April 16, 2013)
- Moss, Marissa (March 3, 2009). "AP recommends... The Summer Set", Alternative Press. Retrieved on 2009-06-20.
- (June 1, 2008). "HS students graduate early for dream jobs", Tucson Citizen. Retrieved on 2009-06-20.
- "The Summer Set – …In Color at Wonka Vision Reviews". Wonkavisionmagazine.com. 2008-10-23. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "Summer Set, The - ...In Color - Album Review". AbsolutePunk.net. 2008-09-30. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "…In Color by The Summer Set on Die Shellsuit, Die! - The Number One Online Music Magazine and Community". Dieshellsuit.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "The Summer Set's Taylor Swift Re-Release - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- by nadine cheung April 5, 2011 at 12:15PM (2011-04-05). "The Summer Set Open Up About 'Chelsea' (Kane)". Jsyk.com. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "Sneak Attack Media". Sneak Attack Media. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "The Summer Set - Someone Like You (Fan Video)". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "Help The Summer Set Choose Their Next Single". Cambio. 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "THE SUMMER SET AP Tour 2010 Dates (Presale Today)". The Audio Perv. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "This Providence supports Cartel Tour | News". Indie Vision Music. 2009-08-10. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "The Summer Set | Warped Tour 2010". Substream Music Press. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "The Summer Set confirm free UK headlining tour" Alt Press. 05 Mar 2011. Last accessed 11 Mar 2011.
- December 12, 2010 (2010-12-12). ""The Dirty Work" Tour Dates Announced; Featuring All Time Low, Yellowcard & Hey Monday". Theywillrockyou.com. Retrieved 2011-08-03.