Tulsa Golden Hurricane men's soccer
|Full name||Tulsa Golden Hurricane|
|Stadium||Hurricane Soccer & Track Stadium|
|Head Coach||Tom McIntosh|
|2012–13 Conference USA season||C-USA, 2nd|
The Tulsa Golden Hurricane men's soccer team is an intercollegiate varsity sports team of the University of Tulsa. The team is a member of Conference USA in the National Collegiate Athletic Association. In the last two decades, Tulsa has been regularly ranked in the Top 25 NSCAA Collegiate men's soccer poll.
The Tulsa men's soccer team started as a varsity sport in 1980. That year, they finished the season with seven wins, six losses and one tie. The first win came against John Brown University. Tulsa's third head coach, Randy Waldrum, led the school to their first NCAA tournament in 1991, and was the coach during Tulsa's record setting consecutive home wins and consecutive home games without a loss streaks, the longest in NCAA history, set during the same stretch of 39 games from 1988 to 1992.
TU has won four conference championships and five conference tournaments. The Golden Hurricane has twice reached the elite-eight of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship, falling to eventual champion Indiana in 2004 and top seeded Akron in 2009. Tulsa has participated in eight NCAA tournaments during its history (1991, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012). The school has produced first team All-American, Ryan Pore, who currently plays for the Portland Timbers, and previously played for Kansas City Wizards of Major League Soccer. Terry Boss of Seattle Sounders FC and Lawson Vaughn of D.C. United are former Golden Hurricane currently playing in MLS. Dominic Cervi plays for Celtic F.C. of Glasgow, Scotland, and fellow goalkeeper Tyrel Lacey has signed with FC Lyn Oslo of Oslo, Norway. Since 1995, the head coach has been Tom McIntosh, a prominent figure in Tulsa soccer for over 20 years.
Colors and badge
The team plays in the Hurricane Soccer & Track Stadium, site of the 2009 C-USA conference tournament.
Listed according to when they became head coach for Tulsa (year in parentheses):
- 1970s–1980s: Walter Schnoor (1980), Bruce Palmbaum (1986), Randy Waldrum (1989)
- 1990s–2000s: Tom McIntosh (1995)
- Missouri Valley Conference Regular Season:
- Winners (1): 1991
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament:
- Winners (1): 1991
- Conference USA Regular Season:
- Winners (3): 2007, 2008, 2009
- Conference USA Tournament:
- Winners (4): 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012
- Most Goals in a game: 16 (16–0) vs. Nicholls State University, September 9, 1990
- Most consecutive wins: 12, 1989
- Most home wins: 39, 1988–1992
- "OFFICIAL 2007 NCAA MEN’S AND WOMEN’S SOCCER RECORDS BOOK". The National Collegiate Athletic Association. Archived from the original on April 11, 2008. Retrieved January 10, 2008.
- "Her er Lyns nye keeper". TV2 Sporten. Retrieved July 31, 2009.