Two from the Vault
|Two from the Vault|
|Live album by Grateful Dead|
|Recorded||August 23 – 24, 1968|
|Label||Grateful Dead GDCD40162|
|Grateful Dead chronology|
Two from the Vault is a two-CD live album by the rock band the Grateful Dead. It was recorded at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California on August 23 and 24, 1968. The event was left unreleased for nearly 25 years, before being mixed down from the original multi-track reels and released on Grateful Dead Records in 1992.
The concert was recorded on a then-state-of-the-art, one-inch 8-track tape machine that was supplied by the band's record label, Warner Bros. The record company also insisted on supplying engineers who turned out to be unfamiliar with the close miking technique involved in recording rock music. Consequently, each of the eight tracks contained significant leakage from all of the other instruments in the band, resulting in severe phase cancellation problems.
Almost twenty-four years later, Don Pearson and producer Dan Healy solved this problem by employing a B&K 2032 Fast Fourier transform (FFT) digital spectrum analyzer to measure the delay in time between the different microphones, using the track of bassist Phil Lesh as the time centerpiece. The delay times were fed into a TC1280 stereo digital delay, which, along with careful mixing, resulted in a nearly perfect stereo image.
An expanded edition of the album, with a third CD, was released in 2007.
- "Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl" (Sonny Boy Williamson) – 15:59
- "Dark Star" (Hunter, Garcia, Hart, Kreutzman, Lesh, McKernan, Weir) – 11:20 >
- "St. Stephen" (Hunter, Garcia, Lesh) – 4:40 >
- "The Eleven" (Hunter, Lesh) – 14:27 >
- "Death Don't Have No Mercy" (Davis) – 8:23
- "That's It for the Other One: Cryptical Envolvement/The Other One" (Garcia/Kreutzman, Weir) – 15:40 >
- "New Potato Caboose" (Petersen, Lesh) – 14:16 >
- "Turn On Your Love Light" (Malone, Scott) – 17:13
- "(Walk Me Out in the) Morning Dew" (Dobson) – 7:13
Expanded edition disc three
- "Alligator" (McKernan, Lesh, Hunter) – 18:43
- "Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)" (McKernan, Grateful Dead) – 11:30
- "Feedback" (Grateful Dead) – 4:01
- Jerry Garcia – guitar, vocals
- Phil Lesh – bass, vocals
- Ron "Pigpen" McKernan – keyboards, harmonica, vocals
- Bob Weir – guitar, vocals
- Bill Kreutzmann – percussion
- Mickey Hart – percussion
- Dan Healy – producer
- Jeffrey Norman – engineer
- Don Pearson – engineer
- Joe Gastwirt – mastering
- Dick Latvala – tape archivist
- Timothy Harris – cover art
Album - Billboard
|1992||The Billboard 200||119|
- Planer, Lindsay. Two from the Vault at AllMusic. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- Two from the Vault at the Grateful Dead Family Discography. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "Grateful Dead Set Two From the Vault Release", Jambands.com, November 12, 2014. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Two from the Vault album info". Billboard. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- Two from the Vault liner notes and technical information at frognet.net