U.S. Route 441 in North Carolina
|Maintained by NCDOT|
|Length:||65 mi (104 km)|
|Existed:||1951 – present|
|South end:||US 23 / US 441 / SR 15 at the GA line near Dillard, GA|
|US 23 / US 74 in Dillsboro|
|North end:||US 441 / SR 71 at the TN line in the Great Smoky Mtns Natl Park|
|Counties:||Macon, Jackson, Swain|
U.S. Route 441 is a north–south United States highway that runs for 64.5 miles (103.8 km) from the Georgia state line, near Dillard, to the Tennessee state line, in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Upon crossing the state line, US 23 and US 441 enter the Nantahala National Forest. The concurrent routes head north through a pair of small communities before intersecting US 64 in Franklin. US 23 and US 441 turn east, briefly overlapping US 64 around Franklin before separating from the route and continuing to the northeast through the forest. At Dillsboro, US 23 and US 441 intersect U.S. Route 74, here a limited-access highway. US 23 and US 441 both merge onto the freeway, becoming concurrent with US 74; however, US 23 follows US 74 east toward Asheville while US 441 utilizes US 74 west. Near Qualla, the overlap with US 74 comes to an end as US 441 departs the freeway as well as the forest.
US 441 heads north to Cherokee, a town located within the Eastern Cherokee Indian Reservation, where it briefly overlaps US 19 through the town center. Past Cherokee, US 441 progresses north through the reservation to the southern extent of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (where the route becomes known as Newfound Gap Road), a dual-state national park situated on the North Carolina-Tennessee border. From the park entrance to the Tennessee state line, the route follows a northwesterly alignment as it traverses the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Just past the inside the park US 441 serves as the southern terminus of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The section of US 441 in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is not maintained by NCDOT, but by the National Park Service. During the winter season, the road in the high elevation may be temporary closed due to inclement weather; signs after the park entrance and/or at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center will notify travelers/visitors on any closings or condition changes.
Established in 1951, US 441 followed US 23 through Franklin to Dillsboro. At Dillsboro, US 441 overlaps with US 19A/NC 107 to Whittier, where it then switches briefly with mainline US 19. In Cherokee it continues to follow NC 107 (Newfound Gap Road) to the Tennessee state line in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
In 1974, the bypass was completed around Franklin, creating US 441 Business through the old route through the city. During the 1980s, US 441 was redirected west around Cherokee, creating US 441 Business along the original route. Throughout the 1980s-90s, US 441 has been widened to 4-lane from the Georgia to Cherokee.
|Macon||State line||0.0||0.0||US 23 south / US 441 south / SR 15 south – Dillard|
US 64 west / US 441 Bus. north – Franklin, Murphy
|West end of US 64 overlap|
|14.4||23.2||US 64 east / NC 28 (Highlands Road) – Franklin, Highlands||East end of US 64 overlap|
US 441 Bus. west (Main Street) – Franklin
|Jackson||29.1||46.8||NC 116 east (Webster Road) – Webster||Superstreet intersection, southbound must u-turn first|
US 23 Bus. north (Haywood Road) – Dillsboro, Sylva
|32.4||52.1||81||US 23 north / US 74 east (Great Smoky Mountains Expressway) – Waynesville, Asheville||North end of US 23 and east end of US 74 overlap|
|40.1||64.5||74||US 74 west (Great Smoky Mountains Expressway) – Bryson City||West end of US 74 overlap|
US 441 Bus. north
|Swain||45.0||72.4||US 19 south (Tsalagi Road) – Bryson City||South end of US 19 overlap|
US 19 north / US 441 Bus. south (Tsalagi Road) – Maggie Valley, Asheville
|North end of US 19 overlap|
|48.3||77.7||Blue Ridge Parkway|
|State line||64.5||103.8||US 441 north / SR 71 north – Gatlinburg||Crosses through Newfound Gap|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
Currently, there are two U.S. Route 441 Business loops in North Carolina:
|Location:||Franklin, North Carolina|
|Length:||2.7 mi (4.3 km)|
Franklin business loop
Established in 1974, this 2.7-mile (4.3 km) route goes through downtown Franklin, via Porter Street, Palmer Street, and Main Street.
|Location:||Cherokee, North Carolina|
|Length:||1.9 mi (3.1 km)|
Cherokee business loop
- Clingmans Dome
- Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Nantahala National Forest
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to U.S. Route 441 in North Carolina.|
- Google Inc. "US 441". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-23+N%2FUS-441+N%2FGeorgia+Rd&daddr=US-441+N&hl=en&geocode=FUj6FQIdnLEH-w%3BFTZgHwIdVP0G-w&mra=me&mrcr=0&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&sll=35.610671,-83.42752&sspn=0.001629,0.003484&ie=UTF8&ll=35.342015,-83.301086&spn=0.836789,1.783905&z=10. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- "NCRoads.com: U.S. 441". Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- Google Inc. "US 441 Business - Franklin". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Georgia+Rd%2FUS-441+BUS+N&daddr=Hunnicut+Ln&hl=en&geocode=FZKeGAIdZI8H-w%3BFf4EGQIdNAAI-w&mra=me&mrcr=0&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&sll=35.193895,-83.361932&sspn=0.001637,0.003484&ie=UTF8&ll=35.17907,-83.368292&spn=0.052405,0.111494&z=14. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
- Google Inc. "US 441 Business - Cherokee". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-441+N&daddr=35.4702603,-83.3080523+to:US-19+N%2FUS-441+N&hl=en&geocode=FZIXHQId7LUI-w%3BFbQ7HQId7NEI-yknZWrn2ENZiDHc_pPMJhq0Jw%3BFTpWHQIdJKEI-w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=35.461378,-83.313612&sspn=0.003264,0.006968&ie=UTF8&ll=35.469513,-83.313146&spn=0.026109,0.055747&z=15&via=1. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
|U.S. Route 441|
|North Carolina||Next state: