|Also called||Baijah Taigah (Germany '03-07)
Beijing BJ2020 / Beijing BJ212 (China, '64-present)
UAZ-469 / UAZ-469B ('71-present)
UAZ-3151 / UAZ-31512 ('85-'13)
UAZ Hunter ('03-present)
UAZ Tigr ('05-'12)
UAZ Tundra 469 (West Germany '71-'91)
|Production||1971 - present|
Bad Nauheim, Germany ('03-'07, Baijah Automotive)
Camagüey, Cuba ('03-present, Empresa Reparadora José Smith Comas)
Ganja, Azerbaijan ('05-present, Ganja Auto Plant)
Hanoi, Vietnam ('03-present, Thanh Xuan Industry Automobile-Motorbike Co.)
Kremenchuk, Ukraine ('04-present, KrAZ)
Pasadena, United States ('97-'05, UAZ of America)
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-Door SUV|
|Engine||1971-85 - 4 Cylinder UMZ 451 MI 2,450 cm3 (2.5 l) 53 kW (71.1 hp)
2010-13 - 2,693 cm3 (2.7 l) 112 hp (83.5 kW)
|Transmission||4-speed or 5-speed manual gearbox 2-speed transfer shift|
|Wheelbase||2,380 mm (93.7 in)|
|Length||4,025 mm (158.5 in)|
|Width||1,785 mm (70.3 in)|
|Height||2,050 mm (80.7 in)|
|Curb weight||1,700 kg (3,747.9 lb)|
|Successor||Baijah Stalker (2007, Germany)|
The UAZ-469 is an off-road vehicle manufactured by UAZ. It was used by Soviet and other Warsaw Pact forces, as well as paramilitary units in Eastern Bloc countries. In the Soviet Union, it also saw widespread service in all state organizations that needed a robust off-road vehicle. Standard military versions include seating for seven personnel.
The UAZ-469 was introduced in 1971, replacing the earlier GAZ-69. The UAZ-469 presented two great advantages: It was able to drive in virtually any terrain and it was very easy to fix. The UAZ-469 reached legendary status for its reliability and off-road ability. The vehicle was not available for purchase by the public, but many were sold as surplus to private owners.
Modifications include a basic UAZ-469B with ground clearance of 220 mm, and a specialized military UAZ-469, with ground clearance increased to 300 mm. After slight modernisation in 1985, due to new industry designation standards, they were renamed: the UAZ-469 became the UAZ-3151, while the UAZ-469B became the UAZ-31512. Manufacture of UAZ-31512 for the Russian Army continues, while the manufacture for civilian market is discontinued due to new emission standards. However, the currently manufactured UAZ Hunter is only an updated version of old UAZ-469B.
Although the UAZ has proven to be a reliable 4x4, there have been a few problems with the car’s reliability that have slightly hurt its reputation.
The transmission of the original 469 has been known to have problems when not maintained properly (as the owners manual dictates). Another major problem within Russia has been the production of counterfeit parts made out of cheap metals. Furthermore, the 90s (after the fall of the Soviet Union) saw a significant decline of quality in the assembly of UAZ vehicles as the company struggled to survive and could not afford to pay the salaries of its employees.
Other problems have been encountered with the modernization of the vehicle, as many of the new electrical and cosmetic parts have been of poor quality. To combat these problems, and return the reliability and dependability of UAZ vehicles to their former standards, the UAZ Company has recently introduced a new quality control system which has reduced the number of UAZ vehicles with defects arriving in showrooms around the world.
UAZ-469B - a "civilian" version of the UAZ-469 - without starting the heater, drive axles with single-stage main gear without the final drive ( ground clearance of 220 mm), made on the basis of major bridges of the car GAZ-69, contact ( on early models) or contactless electronic ignition system . PTO shafts are slightly greater than the length of the shafts of the UAZ-469. The machine is open, with a canvas awning (machines with metal or fiberglass roofs - are former canopy, hardtop installed separately or as an accessory), the engine capacity of 2.4 liter, 4-speed transmission.Available from 1972 to 1985, then in accordance with the sectoral system in 1966 received a four-digit number 31512' (model number 3151 received with geared bridges UAZ-469 ). which was produced from 1985 by 2005 . The police patrol car is a modification of UAZ-31512-UMM with an insulated five-door metal body and the optional special equipment. The UAZ-469B formed the basis of the TREKOL-39041.
- UAZ-469BI - 469B version with shielded electrical equipment (for example, P-403M - microwave transceiver VHF radio)
- UAZ-469BG - medical, equipped places for nurses and stretcher after modernization in 1985 received index UAZ-3152.
- UAZ-469RH - the car of radiation-chemical reconnaissance
Concepts and prototypes
- UAZ-3907 Ягуар (Jaguar) - amphibious vehicle based on the UAZ-469. On the front of the rear axle amphibians are two propellers.
- UAZ-Martorelli - UAZ-469B version, exported to Italy, where the car is significantly refined. There were a few modifications:
- with "native" UMP-451M petrol engine(2500 cm3, 75 hp.), called UAZ-Explorer,
- with a Peugeot XD2 diesel (2500 cm 3, 76 hp..) - UAZ-Marathon,
- Companies with a turbodiesel Vittorio Martorell VM (2400 cm 3, 100 hp..) - UAZ-Dakar,
- with a FIAT petrol engine (2000 cm 3, 112 hp..) - UAZ-Racing.
- UAZ 3105 "Sport" - a short wheelbase version with removable roof and doors (Jeep Renegade).
Appearances in media
In the computer game Arma 2, the UAZ-469 is one of the available off-road vehicles and comes in several paint styles.
The UAZ was one of the vehicles the player could fully control in the computer game Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.
A UAZ-469 features in the BBC television documentary "Russia on Four Wheels"
- 2,450 cc petrol, in-line 4-cylinder, water cooled, 75 hp (56 kW) at 4000 rpm, 166.7 N·m (123.0 lb·ft) at 2200 rpm
- 76-octane petrol, tank capacity is 78 litres
- 4-speed manual gearbox, 2-speed transfer shift, 4-wheel drive
- Front axle
- Live axle with leaf springs, drum brakes
- Rear axle
- Live axle with leaf springs, drum brakes
- Dimensions and weights
- Empty weight with fuel: 1,650 kg (3,638 lb)
- Max. gross weight: 2,450 kg (5,401 lb)
- External dimensions (length/width/height): 4,025 mm (158.5 in) x 1,785 mm (70.3 in) x 2,050 mm (80.7 in)
- Wheelbase: 2,380 mm (93.7 in)
- Tread front/rear: 1,453 mm (57.2 in)/1,453 mm (57.2 in)
- Ground clearance: 220 mm (8.7 in)
- Tyre size: 215 SR 15
- Wheel size: 6Lx15
Improvements on the UAZ
The UAZ was improved at the time of the Bosnian War by the Serbian light infantry brigade "Panteri" (panthers). Machine guns and steel armour were added, and also rocket launchers which had been scrapped from warehouses. With heavy machine gun KPVT 14,5mm and the same one with short range missiles.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to UAZ-469.|
- Dragon Motor produces tuner versions of the 469 family
- Willys MB, the US vehicle of World War II. Other resemblance can be found in Jeep CJ, Jeep Wrangler.
- Beijing BJ212 - Chinese adaptation and modification of the 469.
- "Cars Database - UAZ 469". Roman Pashkeev. Retrieved 2013-11-09.
- "UAZ All-Terrain Vehicles: History, Photographs, and Links". kitoy.ru. Retrieved 2013-11-09.
- Vietnam: the worst car in the world - Motorworld - BBC autos Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld TopGear on Youtube (Uploaded December 19, 2008)
- На ГАЗ-69 дифференциалы с двумя сателлитами, в связи с возросшим крутящим моментом на УАЗ-469Б стоит по четыре сателлита. (On the GAZ-69 differentials with two satellites, due to the increased torque on the UAZ-469B worth of four satellites.)
- ТУ 78.2.071-92
- Уазбука. (2012). "Oise firms brothers Martorell". Archived from the original on 2012-11-05.