|City of license||Dedham, Massachusetts|
|Broadcast area||South Shore|
|Branding||Real Jazz 1410|
|First air date||July 17, 1961|
|Power||1,000 watts day
156 watts night
|Former callsigns||WOKW (1961–1981)
(Langer Broadcasting Group, LLC)
WZBR (1410 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a jazz format. Licensed to Dedham, Massachusetts, USA, the station serves the South Shore area (though it markets itself to the Greater Boston area as a whole). The station is owned by Langer Broadcasting Group, LLC, which also owns WSRO in the area.
The station signed on July 17, 1961 as WOKW. The call letters changed to WAMK on September 28, 1981, to WATD on December 15, 1985, and to WMSX on April 1, 1990.
On November 12, 2013, the station changed its call sign to the current WZBR. Langer signed the station on from its new site in early 2014. While there was speculation that it would broadcast Portuguese language programming modeled on sister station WSRO, WZBR will have its own studios in Hyde Park. Some listeners wonder if the jazz format will be temporary, or whether perhaps it will be long-term, especially given the power increase WSRO received will, especially during daytime hours, negate the need for Langer to run a similar format on WZBR.
The station was licensed to move to Dedham on February 11, 2014.
- "WZBR Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- APPLICATION FOR CONSENT TO ASSIGNMENT OF BROADCAST STATION CONSTRUCTION PERMIT OR LICENSE fcc.gov
- "WZBR Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "APPLICATION FOR CONSTRUCTION PERMIT FOR COMMERCIAL BROADCAST STATION". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. June 10, 2013. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- Swinconeck, John (June 30, 2013). "Framingham’s Brazilian radio station branching out to Boston". The Boston Globe. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WZBR
- Radio-Locator Information on WZBR
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WZBR
|This article about a radio station in Massachusetts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|