|This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)
WinDVD (owned by Corel Corporation which bought InterVideo in 2006) is a commercial video player and music player software for Microsoft Windows. It enables the viewing of DVD-Video movies on the user's PC. DVD-Video backups stored on hard disk (created using software such as DVD Decrypter) can also be played. The player can also be used to play videos and audio/music files in other formats encoded with different codecs, for instance DivX, Xvid, Windows Media Video video and MP3 and AAC audio. Newer versions also support full Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD (HD DVD support removed after WinDVD 9) playback with menus, with CPRM DRM support.
Features and Functions
Special features and functions supported by InterVideo WinDVD version 8.0 during video/movie and audio/music playback.
- Supported video formats/codecs: MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (including HD support), MPEG-TS, DVD-Video, MiniDVD, MPEG-4 ASP (like Xvid and DivX, including DivX Pro), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, WMV HD, DVD-VR, DVD+VR, 3GPP and 3GPP2, QuickTime, RealMedia/RealVideo
- Supported audio formats/codecs: WAV, MP3, AAC, LPCM, MLP Lossless, Dolby Digital (5.1) and Dolby Digital (2.0), Dolby Digital EX, DTS 2.0 and 5.1, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES Discrete, RealMedia/RealAudio
- TrimensionDNM - interpolates frames to give smooth playback
- Smooth Reverse Playback - smooth reverse/rewind playback without dropping frames
- Video Desktop - display subpanel to let the movie play in the background, just like a Windows wallpaper
- Software Video Deinterlacing - ensures a smoother and clearer video image on progressive displays
- Dynamic range compression and SRS - offers modes suited to Quiet, Noisy and Normal listening environments
- Instant Replay - Jump back to the line you missed, or catch that action sequence again
- "Boss Key" - One click hides the player out of the way from the desktop
- 9X Digital Zoom
- Closed captioning support provides closed captioning for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Video Bookmarks enable quick access to a user's favorite movie scenes
- Saved as a file with ".bmk" extension for later use or export for use on another computer
- Resume playback - allows users to play a DVD from the last scene prior to stopping
- Screen snapshots can be captured with a user-defined aspect ratio
- External subtitle support allows playback via AVI, DivX and WMV files
- Supports SRT, SUB, SSA, ASS, PSB, SMI extensions and XSUB (DivX embedded subtitles)
- Allows you to adjust the placement, subtitle color and size of subtitles
- On-screen display (OSD) lets users define where video information is located
- Color Themes lets users personalize the look of your player to match their mood or their desktop
- Low Frequency Effects (LFE) mixes the LFE channel (bass) with front speaker channels
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx - 2.0 - 5.1 => 7.1 audio-channels expansion technology (upsample anything from 2.0 to 7.1 surround sound)
- Dolby Headphone - Virtual surround sound on 2-channel (stereo) headphones
- Playlist playback and creation support - for audio or video files from DVDs, VCDs, SVCDs and CDs
- "Movie Encyclopedia" is a new feature of WinDVD that enables users to access a movie database for details on movies, actors and directors, (similar to IMDb).
- UPnP Control Point (UPnP-client) - Play videos from any UPnP AV MediaServer device in your home network
- UPnP UPnP AV MediaServer (UPnP-server) - allows other UPnP Control Point devices in your home network to stream audio/video files from WinDVD