|Initial release||December 11, 2006|
|Stable release||0.8.6 / 14 August 2013|
|Written in||C++ (Qt)|
- Remembers settings and time position of each file it plays
- Audio and video filters & equalizer
- Multiple speed playback
- Configurable subtitles, Internet fetch
- YouTube browser
- Localized in more than 30 languages
As of version 0.6.7, SMPlayer is distributed with a NSIS generated setup (previously Inno Setup). The installer is capable of downloading and installing the latest MPlayer and MPlayer codec packages during setup, although an alternative installer is available with MPlayer included for off-line installs.
Since SMPlayer is built with Qt and is based on MPlayer, this makes it quite portable, since MPlayer and Qt are already available on all major operating systems. On the operating systems on which SMPlayer has not yet been ported to, it is likely possible to run the application through binary compatibility with another Unix or Linux.
In addition to the Windows packages, official binary packages are provided for Ubuntu. Many distributions provide packages in their repositories.
- UMPlayer: In addition to the features of SMPlayer, it has integration with SHOUTcast streams and proper support for Mac OS X.
- SMPlayer2: A temporary fork —until mplayer2 receives a new IPC mechanism— targeted at mplayer2 users.
- SMPlayer – License Information, retrieved 2012-01-07
- SMPlayer Latest Changes Page
- "SMPlayer", Analysis Summary (Ohloh), retrieved 2012-01-08
- SMPlayer homepage, "SMPlayer is under the GPL license."
- "SMPlayer Review", Softpedia, retrieved 2011-01-08
- "Versatile music player works SMPlayer", VNExpress, retrieved 2012-01-01
- Rosenblatt, Seth (2007-12-18), "SMPlayer is subtle but strong", CNET, retrieved 2010-01-16
- SMPlayer - Downloads, Berlios.de, retrieved 2012-01-08
- UMPlayer, MPlayer fork with interesting features, Ghacks.net, 2011-03-31, retrieved 16-08-2011
- UMPlayer: New Cross-Platform MPlayer GUI Based on SMPlayer, WebUpd8, 01-04-2011, retrieved 16-08-2011
- UMPlayer: my favourite media player for Ubuntu, OMG! Ubuntu, 01-06-2011, retrieved 16-08-2011