1916 PGA Championship
|Dates||October 10–14, 1916|
|Location||Bronxville, New York|
|Course(s)||Siwanoy Country Club|
|Organized by||PGA of America|
|Format||Match play - 5 rounds|
|Def. Jock Hutchison, 1 up|
The 1916 PGA Championship was the first PGA Championship, which is now considered one of golf's major championships. It was played from October 10–14 at the Siwanoy Country Club in Bronxville, New York, just north of New York City.
The field of 32 golfers qualified by sectional tournaments. They competed in 36-hole match play rounds in a single-elimination tournament. In the Saturday final, Jim Barnes defeated Jock Hutchison, 1 up. Walter Hagen and Willie Macfarlane were the other semifinalists.
Barnes and Hutchison had arrived at the final hole level. Both players were short of the green with their second shots and both hit their chip shots to within five feet of the hole. A measurement was needed to determine who was away and Barnes was one inch closer. Hutchison missed his putt and Barnes calmly holed his to become the first PGA of America champion.
|Charles G. Adams|
|J. R. Thomson|
|J. J. O'Brien|
|J. J. O'Brien||1 up|
|J. J. O'Brien||3&2|
|Jim Barnes||1 up|
|Jock Hutchison||2 up|
- "Tournament Info for: 1916 PGA Championship". PGA Media Guide. PGA of America. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- "Jim Barnes Gets Wanamaker Trophy". The New York Times. New York, New York. October 15, 1916. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- "Pro Golfers Meet In Title Matches". The New York Times. New York, New York. October 11, 1916. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- "Brady Put Out Of Pro Golf Tourney". The New York Times. New York, New York. October 12, 1916. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- "Hagen Winner By Lop-Sided Score". The New York Times. New York, New York. October 13, 1916. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- "Hagen Defeated By Doughty Scot". The New York Times. New York, New York. October 14, 1916. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- Trenham, Peter C. "A Chronicle of the Philadelphia Section PGA and its Members" (PDF). Philadelphia Section PGA. Retrieved October 13, 2015.