1957 PGA Championship
|Dates||July 17–21, 1957|
|Course(s)||Miami Valley Golf Club|
|Organized by||PGA of America|
|Format||Match play - 7 rounds|
|Length||6,773 yards (6,193 m)|
|Field||128 players (all match play)|
|def. Dow Finsterwald, 2 & 1|
The 1957 PGA Championship was the 39th PGA Championship, held July 17–21 at Miami Valley Golf Club in Dayton, Ohio. In the last PGA Championship played under the match play format, Lionel Hebert won 2 & 1 over Dow Finsterwald, who won the following year, the first as a 72-hole stroke play event.
The match play format at the PGA Championship in 1957 called for nine rounds (162 holes) in five days. As in 1956, the two-day stroke play qualifying segment (36 holes) was eliminated; 128 players were entered in the single-elimination bracket. The PGA Championship had concluded on Tuesday since 1947; this year's schedule was modified for a Sunday final, with match play beginning on Wednesday. The first five rounds were 18-hole matches contested over the first three days, which reduced the field to four players for the weekend. The semifinals and finals were 36-hole matches played on the final two days, Saturday and Sunday.
- Wednesday – first round, 18 holes
- Thursday – second and third rounds, 18 holes each
- Friday – fourth round and quarterfinals, 18 holes each
- Saturday – semifinals – 36 holes
- Sunday – final – 36 holes
Past champions in the field
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||Record||Advanced to||Finish|
|Walter Burkemo||United States||1953||6–1||Semifinals||3|
|Doug Ford||United States||1955||3–1||Fourth round||T9|
|Sam Snead||United States||1942, 1949, 1951||3–1||Fourth round||T9|
|Jack Burke, Jr.||United States||1956||1–1||Second round||T33|
|Vic Ghezzi||United States||1941||1–1||Second round||T33|
|Denny Shute||United States||1936, 1937||1–1||Second round||T33|
|Chick Harbert||United States||1954||0–1||First round||T65|
|Chandler Harper||United States||1950||0–1||First round||T65|
|Jim Turnesa||United States||1952||0–1||First round||T65|
Sunday, July 21, 1957
|1||Lionel Hebert||United States||8,000|
|2||Dow Finsterwald||United States||5,000|
|3||Walter Burkemo||United States||3,500|
|4||Don Whitt||United States||3,000|
|5||Dick Mayer||United States||2,500|
|6||Claude Harmon||United States||2,000|
|7||Jay Hebert||United States||1,500|
|8||Charles Sheppard||United States||1,000|
Final eight bracket
In the 18-hole quarterfinals Friday, a clash of the Hebert brothers was avoided when Walter Burkemo defeated Jay Hebert 2&1, while Lionel Hebert defeated Claude Harmon by the same score. On the other side of the bracket, Dow Finsterwald defeated Charles Sheppard, 2 up, and Don Whitt defeated Dick Mayer, 2&1. In the 36-hole semifinals on Saturday, Finsterwald defeated Whitt, 2 up, and Hebert prevailed over Burkemo, 3&1.
The final match on Sunday was all-square after the first 18 holes in the morning. Hebert won the first three holes in the afternoon with birdies, but the match was back to all square after thirty holes. Hebert birdied the next three and Finsterwald matched two of them, but then bogeyed the 34th and was two down with two to play; the par-3 35th was halved with pars to end the match. Hebert earned $8,000 for the victory and Finsterwald received $5,000 as runner-up. Burkemo, the 1953 champion, defeated Whitt 3&1 to claim third place and $3,500. Finsterwald captured the title the following year in the new stroke play format; Hebert's older brother Jay won in 1960.
|Dow Finsterwald||2up||Third place|
|Don Whitt||2&1||Walter Burkemo||3&1|
|Dick Mayer||Don Whitt|
|Dick Mayer||2&1||Seventh place|
Final match scorecards
- "Hebert beats Finsterwald in PGA final, 2-1". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. July 22, 1957. p. 21.
- "Tournament Info for: 1957 PGA Championship". PGA.com. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 22, 1957). "Hebert wins pro golf title, 2 and 1". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 1, sec. 3.
- Wind, Herbert Warren (August 5, 1957). "The PGA comes back". Sports Illustrated. p. 54.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 19, 1957). "Burke eliminated from P.G.A." Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 3, sec. 4.
- "Medal play in pro golf slated". Time-News. (Hendersonville, North Carolina). United Press. November 15, 1957. p. 8.
- "P.G.A. swings from match to medal play". Chicago Daily Tribune. November 15, 1957. p. 1, part 4.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 17, 1957). "128 open P.G.A. today". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 6, sec. 3.
- "Lionel Hebert succeeds in his quest to 'make a name,' wins PGA crown". Milwaukee Journal. United Press. July 22, 1957. pp. Part 2–9, 12.
- "Burkemo wins third-place cash". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. July 22, 1957. p. 21.
- "Have nots meet the Haves as match into semi-finals". Fort Scott Tribune. (Kansas). July 20, 1957. p. 6.
- "Finsterwald, Hebert seek PGA crown". Milwaukee Journal. Associated Press. July 21, 1957. pp. Part 3–1, 5.