1955 Rose Bowl
|1955 Rose Bowl|
|41st Rose Bowl Game|
|Date||January 1, 1955|
|MVP||Dave Leggett (Ohio State)|
|United States TV coverage|
The quarterback for Ohio State was Dave Leggett. Mr. Leggett threw eleven passes, completing six, one a touchdown pass to Robert Archbald Watkins Jr. Hopalong Cassady ran for 92 yards and led the Bucks to 304 yards on the ground and an overall advantage of 360-206 yards in total offense.
The only touchdown by USC was an 86-yard punt return by Aramis Dandoy.
The teams played in the first rainstorm to hit Pasadena during a Rose Bowl in more than 50 years.
- OSU – Dave Leggatt 3-yard run (Weed kick good)
- OSU – Bob Watkins 21-yard pass from Leggett (Watkins kick good)
- USC – Aramis Dandoy 86-yard punt return (Tsagalakis kick good)
- OSU – Dick Harkrader 9-yard run (Weed kick blocked)
- Ohio State won a shared National Championship for the 1954 season. It was the first "split" championship in college football, when the writers selected the Buckeyes and the coaches chose the Bruins.
- The game was played in the rain; Coach Hayes was not happy that the bands performed the halftime show on the already muddy field