1957 Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly election
All 288 seats in the Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly
145 seats needed for a majority
Elections to the Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly were held on 25 February 1957. 1,108 candidates contested for the 218 constituencies in the Assembly. There were 69 two-member constituencies and 149 single-member constituencies. 
On 1 November 1956, under States Reorganisation Act, 1956, Madhya Bharat (except the Sunel enclave of the Mandsaur district), Vindhya Pradesh, Bhopal State and the Sironj sub-division of the Kota district of Rajasthan were merged into Madhya Pradesh while the Marathi-speaking districts of Nagpur Division, (namely Buldana, Akola , Amravati , Yeotmal, Wardha , Nagpur, Bhandara and Chanda), were transferred to Bombay State. This resulted in increase in assembly constituencies from 184 with 232 seats to 218 constituencies with 288 seats during 1957 elections.
|Votes||Vote %||Change in |
|Indian National Congress||288||232||38||40.74||36,91,999||49.83||0.76|
|Praja Socialist Party||163||12||New||9.09||9,76,021||13.17||New|
|Bharatiya Jana Sangh||133||10||10||1.01||7,33,315||9.90||6.32|
|Akhil Bharatiya Ram Rajya Parishad||53||5||2||1.29||2,29,010||3.09||0.58|
|Akhil Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha||48||7||7||0.25||3,45,122||4.66||4.56|
|Communist Party of India||25||2||2||3.28||1,20,549||1.63||4.66|
|Total Seats||288 ( 56)||Voters||1,99,31,685||Turnout||74,08,768 (37.17 %)|
- 1957 elections in India
- Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly election, 1952
- Madhya Bharat Legislative Assembly election, 1952
- Bhopal Legislative Assembly election, 1952
- Vindhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly election, 1952
- "Statistical Report on General Election, 1957 : To the Legislative Assembly of Madhya Pradesh" (PDF). Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2015-07-25.
- "Reorganisation of States, 1955" (PDF). The Economic Weekly. 15 October 1955. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
|This Indian elections-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|