20th Arabian Gulf Cup
|كأس الخليج العربي 2010 ، أو خليجي 20 |
Kass Al-Khaleej ِAl-Arabi 2010, or Khaleeji 20
|Dates||22 November – 5 December 2010|
|Venue(s)||2 (in 2 host cities)|
|Champions||Kuwait (10th title)|
|Goals scored||27 (1.8 per match)|
|Top scorer(s)|| Bader Al-Mutawa |
|Best player(s)||Fahad Al-Enezi|
|Best goalkeeper||Nawaf Al-Khaldi|
The 20th Arabian Gulf Cup (Arabic: كأس الخليج العربي) was the twentieth edition of the biannual Gulf Cup competition, and took place in Aden, Yemen, from 22 November to 5 December 2010. The tournament was held in Yemen for the first time in the tournament's history, and this edition celebrated the 40th anniversary of the cup as well as the 20th anniversary of the tournament.
8 teams participated in the tournament.
|Aden||22 May Stadium||30,000||2003|
The design has been featured in many advertising campaigns for the competition as well as many talk-shows, and has emerged as a well-known symbol for the competition, even more so than the primary competition logo.
- The draw for the tournament was held on 22 August 2010.
- Eight teams were divided into two groups, Yemen (The host nation) was in group A, Oman (The holder) in group B, while the rest of the teams were placed in a pot based on August 2010's FIFA rankings.
|United Arab Emirates|
- All times are Yemen Time – UTC+3
Assiri 72' (pen.)
|Al-Marri 35', 55'||Akram 17'|
|Al Ateeqi 18' (pen.)
Al-Mutawa 34', 69'
|Al-Ghanim 84'||Shami Zaher 89' (o.g.)|
|United Arab Emirates||3||1||2||0||3||1||+2||5|
|Abdul-Zahra 24', 57'
|United Arab Emirates||3–1||Bahrain|
F. Juma 8'
A. Juma 64'
|Kuwait||1–0 (a.e.t.)||Saudi Arabia|
|20th Arabian Gulf Cup Winners|
- Own goals
- Hamed Shami Zaher (for Saudi Arabia)
This table shows all team performance.
|4||United Arab Emirates||4||1||2||1||3||2||+1|
|Eliminated in the group stage|
Total goals by team
- For the first time in the tournament's history all matches were played on artificial grass fields.
- The broadcasting rights for the tournament was sold for the highest price ever in Gulf Cup history to Abu Dhabi Sports in a deal worth 560 million dollars.
- For the third consecutive time previous champions of the tournament failed to pass the group stages after 2009 winners, Oman failed to qualify to the final four.
- Ali Al-Habsi's record for 4 consecutive "Best Tournament Goalkeeper" was broken after Kuwait's Nawaf Al-Khaldi won the award due to Ali's absence in the competition.
- "Arabian Gulf Cup in 2010". Archived from the original on 12 November 2010. Retrieved 10 November 2010.
- "Arabian Gulf Cup 20 - Yemen 2010 Fixtures' schedule". goalzz.com. Kooora. 22 November 2010. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- "Yemen welcomes Gulf nations". FIFA.com. FIFA. 22 November 2010. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- "Kuwait wins the 2010 Gulf Cup for the tenth time". Archived from the original on 9 March 2012. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- Arabian Gulf Cup in Yemen 2010
- "AD Sports pay 560 million for rights to the 20th Gulf Cup". forum.kooora.com (in Arabic). Kooora. 6 November 2010. Retrieved 6 November 2010.