The derailed train
|Date||12 April 2010|
|Time||9:03 CEST (7:03 UTC)|
|Location||Between Latsch and Kastelbell-Tschars
|Rail line||Vinschgau Line|
|Operator||STA Südtiroler Transportstrukturen AG|
|Type of incident||Derailment|
|Cause||Obstruction on line (landslide)|
At 9:03 local time (7:03 UTC), a two passenger coach Stadler GTW train, operated by STA Südtiroler, derailed in Kastelbell-Tschars after running into a landslide. Nine people died when the train derailed, and 28 others were injured, seven seriously.
The landslide which reportedly derailed the train is believed to have been caused by a burst irrigation pipe, or by a valve inadvertently left open. The train was on a regional service, travelling between Mals and Merano, on the Vinschgau line, which reopened in 2005.
Italy's ANSA news agency said one of the train's three carriages was filled with mud from the landslide, and rescuers were digging frantically with shovels and pickaxes to try to reach the victims. A reporter for Sky Italia television said smoke was rising from the wreckage and helicopters were flying overhead.
The railway is equipped with advanced sensors to stop trains in case of landslides, but they couldn't operate because the mud fell at the moment that the train was passing.
An investigation is underway into why the irrigation pipe burst. The local aqueduct consortium denies the possibility that the landslide was caused by the pipe, as it is a small pipe (65 mm diameter), and was working perfectly until about 8:00 CEST.
|Wikinews has related news: Landslide causes train derailment in Italy; nine dead|
- "'Six dead' as Italy train derails". BBC News Online. 12 April 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- The Guardian : 12 April 2010 : Passengers Killed as Italian Landslide Derails Train Retrieved 13 April 2010
- "DISASTRO FERROVIARIO - CRONACA Frana su un treno in Val Venosta. Nove morti e 28 feriti, alcuni sono gravi" (in Italian). Alto Adige. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- "At least six killed in train crash, Toll 'set to rise' after train hits landslide". ANSA. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- ""Moving the Future": Merano – Malles Venosta Railway Restoration". Commission Internationale pour la Protection des Alpes. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- Corriere della Sera, 13 April 2010, p.2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2010 Latsch train accident.|
- Photographs of the accident (BBC)
- Interactive graphic of the accident (La Repubblica)
- Video (Corriere TV)