Martell, South Tyrol
Comune di Martello
View towards the village
|Province||South Tyrol (BZ)|
|Frazioni||Ennetal (Val d'Enne), Ennewasser (Transacqua), Gand (Ganda), Meiern, Sonnenberg (Montesole)|
|• Mayor||Georg Altstätter|
|• Total||142.8 km2 (55.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,312 m (4,304 ft)|
|• Density||6.0/km2 (15/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Martell (German pronunciation: [marˈtɛl]; Italian: Martello [marˈtɛllo]) is a valley and comune (municipality) in South Tyrol in northern Italy. It is located in the Martell Valley of the 28.5-kilometre (17.7 mi) long river Plima, about 45 kilometres (28 mi) west of Bolzano. The commune reaches from an elevation of 957 metres (3,140 ft) up to the 3,757 metres (12,326 ft) of the Zufallspitze (Italian: Monte Cevedale) which towers over the southeastern end of the valley.
As of 30 November 2010, it had a population of 884 and an area of 143.7 square kilometres (55.5 sq mi).
Martell borders mainly to the municipality of Latsch at the bottom of the valley. Other neighbors based in the Vinschgau of the Adige are Stilfs, Laas and Schlanders. Ulten is in the neighboring valley to the East, while Peio, Rabbi and Valfurva are to the south.
Apart from the main village of Gand (Ganda), the municipality of Martell contains the frazioni (subdivisions, mainly villages and hamlets) of Ennetal (Val d'Enne), Ennewasser (Transacqua), Gand (Ganda), Meiern, and Sonnenberg (Montesole), as well as several farms and hotels.
The emblem shows two-headed sable eagle, with an or halo, placed on argent mountain and azure background. The two colors means that the municipality reaches a high altitude, up to the glaciers. According to legend, the right to adorn the city arms with the imperial eagle was recognized for the courage showed, from the residents, in the Battle of Schanzen nearby Colorano. The emblem was adopted in 1969.
According to the 2011 census, 100% of the population speak German as first language.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- Heraldry of the world: Martell
- "Volkszählung 2011/Censimento della popolazione 2011". astat info. Provincial Statistics Institute of the Autonomous Province of South Tyrol (38): 6–7. June 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- (in German) (in Italian) Homepage of the municipality
Media related to Martell at Wikimedia Commons