Karnataka video clip controversy
|Location||Karnataka Legislative Assembly, Vidhana Soudha|
|Also known as||Porngate[dubious ]|
|Filmed by||Local media|
|Participants||Bhartiya Janata Party, Indian National Congress, Janata Dal (Secular)|
|Outcome||Resignation from ministerial berths|
|Inquest||Constitution of six-member Special House Committee to probe allegations|
|Charges||BJP MLAs accusedof watching an obscene film while the house was in session|
The 2012 Karnataka video clip controversy, also referred to as Porngate, is an ongoing controversy in the Karnataka Legislative Assembly where two ministers of the state cabinet resigned over claims of inappropriate conduct. It is alleged that they viewed a pornographic video on a mobile device while the legislature was in session.
In February 2012, Spring Zouk, an international festival described as a rave party, was attended by mostly foreign tourists at Udupi beach on at St Mary's Islands. The event is coordinated to increase tourism. At this rave, a video of tourists at the event having sex in public was created and the viewing of this video became the subject of controversy.
At a session of the Karnataka Legislative Assembly, a camera showed two BJP cabinet ministers, Laxman Savadi and C C Patil, allegedly watching pornographic clips on a mobile phone. The ministers said that the video was an investigation of the behavior of foreign tourists at the party on St. Mary's Islands, who were having sex in public and consuming drugs and alcohol at the rave organised by the state tourism department and others.
On 8 February, all ministers offered resignation letters and the party accepted their resignations. Former Karnataka chief minister and BJP party leader B. S. Yeddyurappa reprimanded all officials for their behavior. Anna Hazare called for their imprisonment.
An Indian news source claimed that the international media attention of the event was on how the members of the party who were caught viewing the video were in a party which was especially condemning of this sort of behavior.
The All India Democratic Women's Association issued a statement that "the anti-women mindset of the former women and child development minister C C Patil, who has been a vocal advocate of dress codes for women, has been thoroughly exposed. The BJP is answerable for justifying and defending hypocrites who indulge in moral policing, while themselves violating all norms of decent behaviour."
- "Porngate: Weak cyber act may not find Karnataka ministers guilty". Times of India. 9 February 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Porngate: For anyone else, it would have been 5-yr jail with fine". Deccan Chronicle. 9 February 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Porngate: Ministers barred from attending Assembly". Zee News. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Porn-gate may trouble trio". IBN. 9 February 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Setback for BJP as three 'porngate' ministers quit". Business Standard. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- Gowda, Aravind (7 February 2012). "Karnataka government shamed over sex on Udupi beach". indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Govt appoints inquiry committee over 'Spring Zouk' party on island". newkerala.com. 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- Johnson, TA (9 February 2012). "Porngate: 'Watched video to know about rave party happenings' - Indian Express". indianexpress.com. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- India ministers in Karnataka quit amid pornography row, BBC News, 8 February 2012, accessed on 10 February 2012
- "Porn row:Cong says hiatus between preaching & practice by BJP | Deccan Chronicle". deccanchronicle.com. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Porngate: 3 Karnataka ministers resign, BJP strength down to 24 - Indian Express". indianexpress.com. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Porngate: BJP got BSY to ask ministers to resign". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Porngate: Anna wants 3 ministers to be jailed — Hindustan Times". hindustantimes.com. 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Bangalore: Karnataka's 'Dirty Picture' is a Worldwide Hit!". daijiworld.com. 9 February 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Karnataka Assembly's porngate becomes a rage on Twitter". Daily Bhaskar. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Women groups demand criminal action against porngate MLAs". indiatimes.com. 11 February 2012. Retrieved 11 February 2012.