2020 Road to the Kentucky Derby
The 2020 Road to the Kentucky Derby was a series of races through which horses qualified for the 2020 Kentucky Derby, which was held on September 5 (rescheduled from the traditional first Saturday in May due to the coronavirus pandemic). The field for the Derby is limited to 20 horses, with up to four 'also eligibles' in case of a late withdrawal from the field. There are three separate paths for horses to take to qualify for the Derby: the main Road consisting of races in North America (plus one in Dubai), the Japan Road consisting of four races in Japan, and the European Road with seven European races in England, Ireland and France. The top four finishers in the specified races receive points, with higher points awarded in the major prep races. Earnings in non-restricted stakes races act as a tie breaker.
When originally announced in September 2019, the main Road to the Kentucky Derby would have remained substantially the same as the 2019 Road to the Kentucky Derby, consisting of 35 races, 19 races for the Kentucky Derby Prep Season and 16 races for the Kentucky Derby Championship Season. Fair Grounds Race Course subsequently made minor changes to the length of the three qualifying races that it hosts: the Lecomte Stakes goes from a mile and 70 yards to 1+1⁄16 miles, the Risen Star from 1+1⁄16 to 1+1⁄8 miles, and the Louisiana Derby goes from 1+1⁄8 to 1+3⁄16 miles. However in March 2020, the growing coronavirus pandemic prompted the cancellation of several prep races, and the rescheduling of the Derby itself. Churchill Downs added more qualifying races to the series in May  which became known as the Extended Series.
Main Road to the Kentucky Derby
The following table shows the points earned in the eligible races for the main series. The ranking is for horses that are still pointing towards the race, as shown on the Derby Leaderboard published by Churchill Downs on August 22, updated for subsequently announced withdrawals from the field.
Authentic, who was the eventual winner of the Kentucky Derby, qualified for the race in second place by winning the Haskell, Sham and San Felipe, plus finishing second in the Santa Anita Derby.
|1||Tiz the Law||372||$1,972,400||Barclay Tagg||Sackatoga Stable|||
|2||Authentic||200||$980,000||Bob Baffert||Spendthrift Farm, MyRaceHorse Stable, Madaket Stables & Starlight Racing [c]|||
|retired[d]||Nadal||150||$1,020,000||Bob Baffert||George Bolton, Arthur Hoyeau, Barry Lipman & Mark Mathiesen|||
|injured||Art Collector||150||$476,461||Thomas Drury, Jr.||Bruce Lunsford|||
|3||Honor A. P.||140||$340,000||John Shirreffs||C R K Stable|||
|bypassing||Basin||110||$592,500||Steve Asmussen||Jackpot Farm|||
|4||Ny Traffic||110||$472,820||Saffie Joseph Jr.||John Fanelli, Cash is King, LC Racing & Paul Braverman|||
|injured[e]||Wells Bayou||104||$765,000||Brad Cox||Lance and Clint Gasaway|||
|5||King Guillermo[f]||90||$317,050||Juan Carlos Avila||Victoria's Ranch|||
|6||Thousand Words||83||$297,000||Bob Baffert||Albaugh Family Stables & Spendthrift Farm|||
|bypassing||Dr Post||80||$331,035||Todd Pletcher||St. Elias Stable|||
|bypassing||Ete Indien||74||$357,156||Patrick L. Biancone||Linda Shanahan, Sanford Bacon, Dream With Me Stable, Horse France America, D P Racing & Patrick L. Biancone Racing|||
|bypassing||Modernist||70||$369,000||William I. Mott||Pam & Martin Wygod|||
|injured[g]||Maxfield||60||$388,350||Brendan Walsh||Godolphin Stables|||
|7||Max Player||60||$337,500||Steve Asmussen||George E. Hall & SportBLX Thoroughbreds|||
|injured||Caracaro||60||$205,000||Gustavo Delgado||Top Racing, Global Thoroughbreds|||
|ill[h]||Gouverneur Morris||54||$236,000||Todd Pletcher||Team Valor & WinStar Farm|||
|injured||Mr. Monomoy||52||$260,000||Brad Cox||Madaket Stables, Michael Dubb, Doheny Racing Stable|||
|bypassing||Mischevious Alex||50||$324,910||John Servis||Cash is King & LC Racing|||
|bypassing||Country Grammer||50||$106,400||Chad Brown||Paul Pompa Jr.|||
|bypassing||Pneumatic[i]||45||$169,250||Steve Asmussen||Winchell Thoroughbreds|||
|8||Enforceable||43||$314,550||Mark Casse||John C. Oxley|||
|bypass[j]||Swiss Skydiver||40||$901,820||Kenneth McPeek||Peter J. Callahan|||
|bypassing||Shivaree||40||$311,905||Ralph Nicks||Jacks or Better Farm|||
|bypassing||Rushie||40||$108,000||Michael McCarthy||Jim Daniell & Donna Daniel|||
|9||Major Fed||38||$179,100||Greg Foley||Lloyd Madison Farms|||
|10||Storm the Court||36||$1,273,851||Peter Eurton||David A Bernsen, Exline-Border Racing, D. Hudock, S. Wilson|||
|11||Attachment Rate||35||$93,675||Dale Romans||Jim Bakke & Gerald Isbister|||
|bypassing||Anneau d'Or||32||$435,821||Blaine Wright||Peter Redekop|||
|12||Sole Volante||30||$273,510||Patrick L. Biancone||Reeves Thoroughbred Racing, Andie Biancone & Limelight Stables|||
|13||Finnick the Fierce||25||$120,200||Rey Hernandez||Arnaldo Monge & Rey Hernandez|||
|bypassing||Silver Prospector||21||$664,018||Steve Asmussen||Ed & Susie Orr|||
|not nominated||Field Pass||20||$229,960||Michael J. Maker||Three Diamond Farms|||
|bypassing||Excession||20||$206,000||Steve Asmussen||Calumet Farm|||
|bypassing||Candy Tycoon||20||$83,500||Todd Pletcher||Mathis Stable|||
|bypassing||Untitled||20||$81,999||Mark Casse||Gary Barber & Michael B. Sebastian|||
|14||Winning Impressions[k]||20||$54,822||Dallas Stewart||West Point Thoroughbreds & Pearl Racing|||
|bypassing||Shotski||19||$212,466||Jeremiah O'Dwyer||Wachtel Stable, Gary Barber, Pantofel Stable & M. Karty|||
|15||South Bend[l]||18||$291,902||William I. Mott||Gary Barber, Adam Watchtel, Peter Deutsch, Leonard Schleifer|||
|not nominated||Jesus' Team||18||$80,000||Jose D'Angelo||Group 7 Racing|||
|bypassing||Farmington Road||15||$101,000||Todd Pletcher||Eclipse Thoroughbreds, Chrysalia Stables & Robert LaPenta|||
|bypassing[m]||Independence Hall||14||$226,600||Michael J. Trombetta||Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners, Twin Creeks Racing Stables, Kathleen and Robert Verratti|||
|bypassing||Silver State||14||$90,000||Steve Asmussen||Winchell Thoroughbreds & Willis Horton Racing|||
|bypassing||Azul Coast||14||$80,500||Bob Baffert||Karl Watson, Mike Pegram, Paul Weitman|||
|16||Necker Island||14||$74,808||Chris Hartman||Raymond Daniels & Wayne Scherr|||
|bypassing||Shoplifted||13||$388,500||Steve Asmussen||Grandview Equine, Cheyenne Stables & LNJ Foxwoods|||
|bypassing||Eight Rings||10||$200,351||Bob Baffert||SF Racing, Starlight Racing, Madaket Stables, Freferick Hertrich III, John D. Fielding, Golconda Stables|||
|bypassing[n]||Dennis' Moment||10||$141,800||Dale Romans||Albaugh Family Stables|||
|bypassing||Gold Street||10||$141,000||Steve Asmussen||Mike McCarty|||
|bypassing||As Seen On Tv||10||$80,100||Kelly Breen||Screen Door Stables|||
|not nominated||Texas Swing||10||$35,000||Todd Pletcher||Harrell Ventures|||
|bypassing||Three Technique||9||$80,000||Jeremiah Englehart||August Dawn Farm|||
|bypassing||Invader||8||$107,140||Wesley Ward||Grandview Equine, Cheyenne Stables & LNJ Foxwoods|||
|bypassing||Ajaaweed||7||$95,000||Kiaran McLaughlin||Shadwell Stable|||
|bypassing||Scabbard||6||$186,000||Eddie Kenneally||Joseph Sutton|||
|bypassing||Answer In||6||$155,000||Brad Cox||Robert LaPenta & Madaket Stables|||
|bypassing||Relentless Dancer||6||$29,750||Michael J. Maker||Paradise Farms, Terry Raymond, Jana Wagner|||
|bypassing||Wrecking Crew||5||$301,000||Peter L. Miller||Rockingham Ranch & David Bernsen|||
|bypassing||Montauk Traffic||5||$73,000||Linda L. Rice||Chris Fountoukis|||
|bypassing||Mailman Money||5||$16,000||Bret Calhoun||Allied Racing Stable|||
|bypassing||Green Light Go||4||$224,550||James Jerkens||Stronach Stables|||
|bypassing||High Velocity||4||$97,000||Bob Baffert||Mary & Gary West|||
|bypassing||American Theorem||4||$66,667||George Papaprodromou||Kretz Racing|||
|bypassing||Royal Act||4||$31,644||Peter Eurton||C R K Stable|||
|bypassing||Fancy Liquor||4||$23,500||Michael J. Maker||Skychai Racing & Sand Dollar Stable|||
|not nominated||American Farmer||4||$20,000||Steve Sherman||BKB Stables & Steve Sherman|||
|bypassing||Prince of Pharoahs||3||$27,750||Linda L. Rice||Darlene Bilinski & Harry Patten|||
|bypassing||Bourbon Bay||3||$24,000||Mark A. Hennig||Bourbon Lane Stable, Seidman Stables, Lake Lonely Racing|||
|bypassing||Lebda[o]||2||$150,125||Claudio Gonzalez||Joseph Besecker|||
|bypassing||Big City Bob||2||$123,000||Jorge Duarte Jr.||Colts Neck Stables|||
|not nominated||Embolden||2||$82,000||Michael Stidham||Dare To Dream Stable|||
|bypassing||Chase Tracker||2||$51,700||Todd Pletcher||St. Elias Stable|||
|bypassing||Portos||2||$30,000||Todd Pletcher||Wertheimer et Frère|||
|bypassing||Toledo[p]||2||$24,500||Chad C. Brown||Juddmonte Farms|||
|bypassing||Zimba Warrior||2||$24,500||J. Keith Desormeaux||Charles & Cynthia Marquis|||
|not nominated||Indian Peak||2||$16,500||Quinn Howey||Jill & William Gray|||
|bypassing||Halo Again||2||$11,400||Steve Asmussen||Winchell Thoroughbreds & Willis Horton Racing|||
|bypassing||Jungle Runner||1||$87,250||Steve Asmussen||Calumet Farm|||
|bypassing||Monday Morning Qb||1||$75,000||Butch Reid Jr.||Cash is King and LC Racing|||
|not nominated||Gozilla||1||$72,000||Steve Asmussen||Zayat Stables|||
|bypassing||Taishan||1||$51,000||Richard Baltas||Calvin Nguyen & Joey Tran|||
|bypassing||Informative||1||$38,000||Uriah St. Lewis||Uriah St. Lewis|||
|bypassing||Letmeno||1||$29,200||Ian Wilkes||Randall Bloch & Six Column Stables|||
|bypassing||Express Train||1||$18,000||John Shirreffs||C R K Stable|||
|not nominated||Celtic Striker||1||$12,000||Raymond Handal||Imperial Racing|||
|bypassing||Tiz Rye Time||1||$10,000||Ian Wilkes||Bourbon Lane Stable, Cleber J. Massey, Jim Gladden|||
|bypassing||Tizamagician[q]||1||$6,000||Richard Mandella||MyRacehorse.com & Spendthrift Farm|||
|not nominated||Wine and Whiskey||1||$6,000||Felix Rondan||Ruben Arechiga & Felix Rondan|||
|ill||Shirl's Speight||0[r]||$55,896||Roger Attfield||Charles Fipke|||
|17||Money Moves||0[s]||0||Todd Pletcher||Robert LaPenta & Bortolazzo Stable|||
- Winner of Kentucky Derby in bold
- Sidelined/Inactive/No longer under Derby Consideration/Not nominated in gray
Note: 1st=10 points; 2nd=4 points; 3rd=2 points; 4th=1 point (except the Breeders' Cup Juvenile: 1st=20 points; 2nd=8 points; 3rd=4 points; 4th=2 points)
|Iroquois||1+1⁄16 miles||$200,000||Churchill Downs||Sep 14 2019||Dennis' Moment||Scabbard||Lebda||Letmeno|||
|American Pharoah||1+1⁄16 miles||$301,404||Santa Anita||Sep 27 2019||Eight Rings||American Theorem||Storm the Court||Express Train|||
|Champagne||1 mile||$500,000||Belmont||Oct 5 2019||Tiz the Law||Green Light Go||Big City Bob||Gozilla|||
|Breeders' Futurity||1+1⁄16 miles||$500,000||Keeneland||Oct 5 2019||Maxfield||Gouverneur Morris||Enforcable||Ajaaweed|||
|Breeders' Cup Juvenile||1+1⁄16 miles||$2,000,000||Santa Anita||Nov 1 2019||Storm the Court||Anneau D'or||Wrecking Crew||Scabbard|||
|Kentucky Jockey Club||1+1⁄16 miles||$300,000||Churchill Downs||Nov 30 2019||Silver Prospector||Finnick the Fierce||Tiz the Law||Enforceable|||
|Remsen||1+1⁄8 miles||$250,000||Aqueduct||Dec 7 2019||Shotski||Ajaaweed||Chase Tracker||Informative|||
|Los Alamitos Futurity||1+1⁄16 miles||$200,000||Los Alamitos||Dec 7 2019||Thousand Words||Anneau D'or||High Velocity||Wrecking Crew|||
|Springboard Mile||1 mile||$400,000||Remington||Dec 15 2019||Shoplifted||Answer In||Embolden||Jungle Runner|||
|Jerome||1 mile||$150,000||Aqueduct||Jan 1 2020||Independence Hall||Prince of Pharoahs and Bourbon Bay[t]||Celtic Striker|||
|Sham||1 mile||$100,000||Santa Anita||Jan 4 2020||Authentic||Azul Coast||Zimba Warrior||Taishan|||
|Lecomte||1+1⁄16 miles||$200,000||Fair Grounds||Jan 18 2020||Enforceable||Silver State||Mr. Monomoy||Finnick the Fierce|||
|Smarty Jones||1 mile||$150,000||Oaklawn||Jan 24 2020||Gold Street||Three Technique||Shoplifted||Silver Prospector|||
|Holy Bull||1+1⁄16 miles||$350,000||Gulfstream||Feb 1 2020||Tiz the Law||Ete Indien||Toledo||Relentless Dancer|||
|Withers||1+1⁄8 miles||$250,000||Aqueduct||Feb 1 2020||Max Player||Shotski||Portos||Monday Morning Qb|||
|Robert B. Lewis||1+1⁄16 miles||$150,000||Santa Anita||Feb 1 2020||Thousand Words||Royal Act||High Velocity||Tizamagician|||
|Sam F. Davis Stakes||1+1⁄16 miles||$250,000||Tampa Bay||Feb 8 2020||Sole Volante||Independence Hall||Ajaaweed||Tiz Rye Time|||
|El Camino Real Derby||1+1⁄8 miles||$100,000||Golden Gate||Feb 15 2020||Azul Coast||American Farmer||Indian Peak||Wine and Whisky|||
|Southwest||1+1⁄16 miles||$750,000||Oaklawn||Feb 17 2020||Silver Prospector||Wells Bayou||Answer In||Shoplifted|||
Championship series events
First leg of series
Note: 1st=50 points; 2nd=20 points; 3rd=10 points; 4th=5 points
|Risen Star Stakes[u]||1+1⁄8 miles||$400,000||2||Fair Grounds||Feb 15 2020||Mr. Monomoy||Enforceable||Silver State||Farmington Road||Division 1|
|Modernist||Major Fed||Ny Traffic||Mailman Money||Division 2|
|Fountain of Youth||1+1⁄16 miles||$400,000||2||Gulfstream Park||Feb 29 2020||Ete Indien||Candy Tycoon||As Seen On Tv||Shotski|||
|Tampa Bay Derby||1+1⁄16 miles||$400,000||2||Tampa Bay||Mar 7 2020||King Guillermo||Sole Volante||Texas Swing||Relentless Dancer|||
|Gotham Stakes||1 mile||$300,000||3||Aqueduct||Mar 7 2020||Mischevious Alex||Untitled||Attachment Rate||Montauk Traffic|||
|San Felipe Stakes||1+1⁄16 miles||$401,000||2||Santa Anita||Mar 7 2020||Authentic||Honor A.P.||Storm the Court||Thousand Words|||
|Rebel Stakes||1+1⁄16 miles||$1,000,000||2||Oaklawn||Mar 14 2020||Nadal||Excession||Basin||Three Technique|||
|Sunland Derby||1+1⁄8 miles||$700,000||3||Sunland Park||Mar 22 2020||Cancelled[v]|
Second leg of series
These races are the major preps for the Kentucky Derby, and are thus weighted more heavily. Additional races are scheduled to be added in the summer as to make up for cancelled races towards the September 5 Derby. Note: 1st=100 points; 2nd=40 points; 3rd=20 points; 4th=10 points
|Louisiana Derby||1+3⁄16 miles||$1,000,000||2||Fair Grounds||Mar 21 2020||Wells Bayou||Ny Traffic||Modernist||Major Fed|||
|UAE Derby||1,900 metres
|$2,500,000||2||Meydan||Mar 28 2020||Cancelled[w]|
|Florida Derby||1+1⁄8 miles||$750,000[x]||1||Gulfstream Park||Mar 28 2020||Tiz the Law||Shivaree||Ete Indien||Gouverneur Morris|||
|Wood Memorial||1+1⁄8 miles||$1,000,000||2||Aqueduct||Apr 4 2020||Cancelled[y]|
|Blue Grass Stakes||1+1⁄8 miles||$600,000||2||Keeneland||Moved to Extended Season[z]|
|Arkansas Derby (Division 1)[aa]||1+1⁄8 miles||$497,500||1||Oaklawn Park||May 2 2020[ab]||Charlatan [ac]||Basin||Gouverneur Morris||Winning Impression|||
|Arkansas Derby (Division 2)||1+1⁄8 miles||$500,000||1||Oaklawn Park||May 2 2020||Nadal||King Guillermo||Finnick the Fierce||Farmington Road|||
|Santa Anita Derby||1+1⁄8 miles||$400,000||1||Santa Anita||Moved to Extended Season[ad]|
'Wild Card' events
Note: 1st=20 points; 2nd=8 points; 3rd=4 points; 4th=2 points
|Jeff Ruby Steaks||1+1⁄8 miles||$250,000||Turfway||Mar 14 2020||Field Pass||Invader||Fancy Liquor||Halo Again|||
|Lexington Stakes||1+1⁄8 miles||$200,000||Keeneland||Apr 11 2020||Cancelled[ae]|
Extended series events
The following races were announced for the extension of the Road to the Kentucky Derby as a result of the Derby being run in September instead of May.
|Matt Winn Stakes||1+1⁄16 miles||$150,000||3||Churchill Downs||May 23 2020||Maxfield||Ny Traffic||Pneumatic||Attachment Rate|||
|Santa Anita Derby||1+1⁄8 miles||$400,000[af]||1||Santa Anita||June 6 2020[ag]||Honor A. P.||Authentic||Rushie||Anneau d'Or|||
|Belmont Stakes||1+1⁄8 miles||$1,000,000||1||Belmont Park||June 20 2020||Tiz the Law||Dr Post||Max Player||Pneumatic|||
|Ohio Derby||1+1⁄8 miles||$500,000||3||Thistledown Racino||June 27 2020||Dean Martini||South Bend||Storm the Court||Rowdy Yates|||
|Los Alamitos Derby||1+1⁄8 miles||$150,000||3||Los Alamitos||July 4 2020||Uncle Chuck||Thousand Words||Cosmo||Great Power|||
|Indiana Derby||1+1⁄16 miles||$500,000||3||Indiana Grand||July 8 2020||Shared Sense||Major Fed||Necker Island||Earner|||
|Blue Grass Stakes||1+1⁄8 miles||$600,000[ah]||2||Keeneland||July 11 2020[ai]||Art Collector||Swiss Skydiver||Rushie||Enforceable|||
|Peter Pan Stakes||1+1⁄8 miles||$100,000||3||Saratoga||July 16 2020||Country Grammer||Caracaro||Mystic Guide||Celtic Striker|||
|Haskell Invitational||1+1⁄8 miles||$1,000,000||1||Monmouth Park||July 18 2020||Authentic||NY Traffic||Dr Post||Jesus' Team|||
|Shared Belief Stakes||1 mile||$150,000||Del Mar||August 1 2020||Thousand Words||Honor A.P.||Kiss Today Goodbye||Cezzane|||
|Travers Stakes||1+1⁄4 miles||$1,000,000||1||Saratoga||August 8 2020||Tiz the Law||Caracaro||Max Player||South Bend|||
|Ellis Park Derby||1 mile||$100,000||Ellis Park||August 9 2020||Art Collector||Attachment Rate||Necker Island||Rowdy Yates|||
|Pegasus Stakes||1+1⁄16 miles||$200,000||3||Monmouth Park Racetrack||August 15 2020||Pneumatic||Jesus' Team||Arkaan||Super John|||
Belmont Stakes: 1st=150 points; 2nd=60 points; 3rd=30 points; 4th=15 points
Blue Grass Stakes, Santa Anita Derby, Haskell Invitational, Travers Stakes: 1st=100 points; 2nd=40 points; 3rd=20 points; 4th=10 points
Matt Winn Stakes, Ellis Park Derby, Shared Belief Stakes, Peter Pan Stakes: 1st=50 points; 2nd=20 points; 3rd=10 points; 4th=5 points
Pegasus Stakes, Indiana Derby, Los Alamitos Derby, Ohio Derby: 1st=20 points; 2nd=8 points; 3rd=4 points; 4th=2 points
Japan Road to the Kentucky Derby
The Japan Road to the Kentucky Derby is intended to provide a place in the Derby starting gate to the top finisher in the series. If the connections of that horse decline the invitation, their place is offered to the second-place finisher and so on through the top four finishers. If neither of the top four accept, this place in the starting gate reverts to the horses on the main road to the Derby.
The top point earners were Café Pharoah(70 points), Danon Pharoah (40 points), Herrschaft (40 points) and Dieu du Vin (26 points). None of the invitations were accepted.
|Cattleya Sho||1,600 metres
|Tokyo Racecourse||Nov 23 2019||Dieu du Vin||Shonan Mario||Daimei Corrida||Aurora Tesoro|||
|Zen-Nippon Nisai Yushun||1,600 metres
|Kawasaki Racecourse||Dec 18 2019||Vacation||Iolite||T's Dunk||Meisho Tensui|||
|Hyacinth Stakes||1,600 metres
|Tokyo Racecourse||Feb 23 2020||Cafe Pharoah||Tagano Beauty||Yaugau||Longonot|||
|Fukuryu Stakes||1,800 metres
|Nakayama Racecourse||Mar 28 2020||Herrschaft||T O Keynes||Miyaji Kokuo||American Face|||
|Unicorn Stakes||1,600 meters||Tokyo Racecourse||Jun 21 2020||Cafe Pharoah||Dieu du Vin||Kenshinko||Thunder Blitz|||
|Japan Dirt Derby||2,000
|Oi Racecouse||Jul 8 2020||Danon Pharaoh||Daimei Corrida||Kitano Octopus||Bravoure|
Cattleya Sho: 1st=10 points; 2nd=4 points; 3rd=2 points; 4th=1 point
Zen-Nippon Nisai Yushun: 1st=20 points; 2nd=8 points; 3rd=4 points; 4th=2 points
Hyacinth: 1st=30 points; 2nd=12 points; 3rd=6 points; 4th=3 points
Other 3 races : 1st=40 points; 2nd=16 points; 3rd=8 points; 4th=4 points
- Qualification Table
The top four horses (colored brown within the standings) are eligible to participate in the Kentucky Derby provided the horse is nominated.
|1||Cafe Pharoah||70||Noriyuki Hori||Koichi Nishikawa|
|4||Dieu du Vin||26|
|7||T O Keynes||16|
- brown highlight – qualified on points but declined offer
- grey highlight – did not qualify
European Road to the Kentucky Derby
The European Road to the Kentucky Derby is designed on a similar basis to the Japan Road and is intended to provide a place in the Derby starting gate to the top finisher in the series. If the connections of that horse decline the invitation, their place is offered to the second-place finisher and so on. If none of the top four accept, this place in the starting gate reverts to the horses on the main road to the Derby.
The series was supposed to consist of seven races – four run on the turf in late 2019 when the horses were age two, plus three races run on a synthetic surface in early 2020. The last race in the series, the Cardinal Stakes, was postponed when horse racing in Britain was suspended from mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The top point earners were Nobel Prize (30 points), Crossfirehurricane (20 points), Chares (20 points) and Kameko (14 points). None of the invitations were accepted.
|Royal Lodge Stakes||1 mile||Newmarket||Sep 28 2019||Royal Dornoch||Kameko||Iberia||Year Of The Tiger|||
|Beresford Stakes||1 mile||The Curragh||Sep 29 2019||Innisfree||Shekhem||Gold Maze||Camorra|||
|Prix Jean-Luc Lagardère||1,600 metres
(about 1 mile)
|Longchamp||Oct 6 2019||Victor Ludorum||Alson||Armory||Ecrivain|||
|Vertem Futurity Trophy||1 mile||Newcastle[aj]||Nov 1 2019||Kameko||Innisfree||Year Of The Tiger||Mogul|||
|Patton Stakes||1 mile||Dundalk||Feb 28 2020||Crossfirehurricane||Choice Of Mine||Orchid Gardens||Dutch Admiral|||
|Road to the Kentucky Derby Conditions Stakes||1 mile||Kempton Park||Mar 4 2020||Chares||Berlin Tango||New World Tapestry||Naval Commander|||
|Cardinal Stakes||1 mile||Chelmsford City||Apr 2 2020||Cancelled|
- the four races in 2019 for two-year-olds: 1st=10 points; 2nd=4 points; 3rd=2 points; 4th=1 point
- the first two races in 2020: 1st=20 points; 2nd=8 points; 3rd=4 points; 4th=2 points
- The Cardinal Stakes: 1st=30 points; 2nd=12 points; 3rd=6 points; 4th=3 points
- Qualification Table
The top four horses (colored brown within the standings) are eligible to participate in the Kentucky Derby provided the horse is nominated.
|7||Choice of Mine||8|
|9||New World Tapestry||4|
|13||Year Of The Tiger||3|
- brown highlight – qualified on points but declined offer
- grey highlight – did not qualify
- The ranking shown is based on the
- Earnings from non-restricted stakes prior to the running of the Kentucky Derby serve as a tie-breaker.
- Authentic's original ownership group was SF Racing, Starlight Racing, Madaket Stables, F. Hertrich III, J. Fielding and Golconda Stables
- Nadal was retired after sustaining a condylar fracture
- Wells Bayou sustained ankle bruising and is off the Kentucky Derby trail
- Originally King Guillermo was not nominated for the Triple Crown, but after his victory in the Tampa Bay Derby connections paid the late payment fee for nomination
- Maxfield has suffered a condylar fracture and off the Kentucky Derby trail
- Gouverneur Morris was diagnosed with colitis in June and was taken out of training to give him time to recover
- Originally Pneumatic was not nominated for the Triple Crown, but his connections paid the late payment fee for nomination
- The filly qualified for entry to the Kentucky Derby, but her trainer confirmed they would run in the Kentucky Oaks
- Winning Impressions was a late nominee
- South Bend's connections originally planned to bypass the race, but changed their mind in the final week
- Connections of Independence Hall has decided to bypass the Kentucky Derby trail
- Dennis' Moment is not in consideration for the Kentucky Derby
- Originally Lebda was not nominated for the Triple Crown, but his connections paid the late payment fee for nomination
- Toledo is ahead of Zimba Warrior in the standings due to higher stakes earned from non-restricted stakes
- Tizamagician is ahead of Wine and Whiskey in the standings due to higher stakes earned from non-restricted stakes
- Shirl's Speight did not earn points on the Road, but became eligible for the race when there was still a position left in the starting gate after all point earners had made their decision about whether or not to enter. He was the top ranked non-points earner based on his graded stakes earnings from the Marine Stakes in Canada
- Money Moves did not earn points on the Road, but became eligible for the race when there was still a position left in the starting gate after all point earners and graded stakes earners had made their decision about whether or not to enter.
- Dead heat for second place, both horses received three qualification points
- Racing officials split the event into two divisions after the number of entries entered exceeded the number for one event
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States the administration of Sunland Park cancelled the event
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United Arab Emirates the administration of Meydan Racetrack cancelled the World Cup meeting
- Originally the purse for the Florida Derby was $1,100,000 but due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States the administration of Gulfstream Park lowered the purse as the race was run behind closed doors while the accompany casino was closed.
- Originally scheduled for 4 April but due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States, NYRA postponed racing at Aqueduct indefinitely. The event was not rescheduled.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States the administration of Keeneland cancelled the Spring meeting between April 2–24 including the Blue Grass Stakes The event was moved to the Extended series events.
- The event was split into two division after 22 entries were nominated as a result of race cancellations caused by the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States. Each division would carry a purse of $500,000 as the track was prepared to commit an additional $250,000 to the initial reduced $750,000 purse. Additionally, 20 entries were to be entered so that the split into divisions would occur. Qualification points for the first four finishers would be not be adjusted.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States the administration of Oaklawn Park moved the Arkansas Derby from April 4 and lowered the purse from $1 million to $750,000 as the race is run behind closed doors. When the track announced that the event would be split into two divisions the purse returned to $1 million, with each division having a $500,000 purse.
- Charlatan crossed the finish line first but was subsequently disqualified for a test positive of lidocaine. The placings for the race were subsequently adjusted and the qualifying points were redistributed to the horses that ran behind him: Basin, Gouverneur Morris, Winning Impression & Anneau d'Or However, after an appeal was lodged the Arkansas Racing Commission on 20 April 2021 ruled on restoring the original result. The disqualification was later overturned on appeal.
- Originally scheduled for 4 April but due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States, the administration of the track with instructions received from Los Angeles County Health Department postponed racing at Santa Anita until further notice. On 30 April Santa Anita Park administration announced the reopening of the track on May 15 with the rescheduling of Santa Anita Derby to 6 June. The event was moved to the Extended series events.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States the administration of Keeneland cancelled the Spring meeting including the Lexington Stakes
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States the administration of Santa Anita Park lowered the purse of the Santa Anita Derby from $1 million to $400,000.
- Santa Anita Derby was moved to the Extended Season due to rescheduling of the event.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States the administration of Keeneland lowered the purse of the Blue Grass Stakes from $1 million to $600,000.
- Blue Grass Stakes was moved to the Extended Season due to rescheduling of the event.
- Originally the race was scheduled on 26 October 2019 at Doncaster Racecourse but the event was canceled due to the waterlogged condition of the track. Event was rescheduled for Friday, 1 November 2019.
- "Road to Kentucky Derby and Oaks Schedule Announced". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 9 September 2019.
- "Risen Star, Louisiana Derby, Lecomte Will All Be Longer In 2020". Paulick Report. 25 September 2019. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- BloodHorse Staff (12 May 2020). "Churchill Announces Road to Kentucky Derby Extension". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 25 May 2020.
- "Derby Leaderboard – August 22 update" (PDF). Retrieved 22 August 2020.
- "Art Collector Out of Kentucky Derby With Foot Issue". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 1 September 2020.
- "Shirl's Speight, Dr Post Out of Kentucky Derby". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 30 August 2020.
- "Caracaro Withdrawn From Kentucky Derby Consideration". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 30 August 2020.
- "Kentucky Derby: Authentic works, headed to Louisville; Rushie Out, full field unlikely". Horse Racing News. 30 August 2020. Retrieved 1 September 2020.
- "Chart of the Champagne Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Chart of the Sham Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Chart of the Santa Anita Derby" (PDF). Equibase. 6 June 2020. Retrieved 6 June 2020.
- Ehalt, Bob Ehalt; King, Byron (28 May 2020). "Unbeaten Nadal Retired With Condylar Fracture". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Chart of the Rebel Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- "Chart of the Blue Grass Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- "Chart of the San Felipe". Equibase. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- "Chart of the Haskell Stakes". Equ. Equibase. Retrieved 18 July 2020.
- Hammonds, Evan; King, Byron (10 June 2020). "Maxfield Off Derby Trail With Condylar Fracture". BloodHorse.com.
- "Chart of the Southwest Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- BloodHorse Staff (11 March 2020). "King Guillermo Made a Late Nomination to Triple Crown". BloodHorse.com.
- "Chart of the Tampa Bay Derby". Equibase. Retrieved 7 March 2020.
- "Chart of the Los Alamitos Futurity". Equibase. Retrieved 7 December 2019.
- "Chart of the Belmont Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 20 June 2020.
- "Chart of the Holy Bull Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "Chart of the Risen Star - Div 2". Equibase. Retrieved 16 February 2020.
- "Chart of the Breeders' Futurity". Equibase. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Chart of the Withers Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "Chart of the Travers Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 8 August 2020.
- "Colitis Knocks Gouverneur Morris Off the Derby Trail". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 20 August 2020.
- Oser, Christine. "Mr. Monomoy Off Kentucky Derby Trail". The Blood-Horse. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- "Chart of the Lecomte Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 19 January 2020.
- "Chart of the Gotham S". Equibase. Retrieved 7 March 2020.
- "Chart of the Peter Pan Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 17 July 2020.
- "'Plan A' For Pneumatic Is To Skip Kentucky Derby, Head Straight To Preakness". Paulick Report. 17 August 2020. Retrieved 23 August 2020.
- "Chart of the Matt Winn Stakes". Equibase. 23 May 2020. Retrieved 23 May 2020.
- "Chart of the Kentucky Jockey Club". Equibase. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- MacAdam, Adam (13 August 2020). "Swiss Skydiver lands in Alabama". dailygazette.com.
- "Chart of the Gulfstream Oaks". Equibase. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Chart of the Florida Derby". Equibase. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- "Chart of the American Pharoah Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "Chart of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile". Equibase. Retrieved 1 November 2019.
- "Chart of the Sam F. Davis Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 8 February 2020.
- "2020 Triple Crown Nominations". TheTripleCrown.com. BloodHorse. February 2020.
- "Chart of the Jeff Ruby Steaks". Equibase. 14 March 2020.
- "Chart of the Fountain of Youth". Equibase. Retrieved 1 March 2020.
- "Chart of the Arkansas Derby - Division 1". Equibase. Retrieved 2 May 2020.
- "Chart of the Remsen Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 7 December 2019.
- "Chart of the Ohio Derby". Equibase. Retrieved 27 June 2020.
- "Chart of the Risen Star - Div 1". Equibase. Retrieved 16 February 2020.
- Ehalt, Bob (10 June 2020). "Independence Hall Likely Sidelined Until Fall". BloodHorse.com.
- "Chart of the Jerome Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Chart of the Indiana Derby". Equibase. Retrieved 9 July 2020.
- "Chart of the Springboard Mile". Equibase. Retrieved 15 December 2019.
- "Chart of the Iroquois Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- "Chart of the Smarty Jones Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- "Chart of the Robert B Lewis Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 2 February 2020.
- "Chart of the El Camino Real Derby". Equibase. Retrieved 16 February 2020.
- "Woodbine Stakes Winner Shirl's Speight Confirmed for Kentucky Derby". Canadian Thoroughbred. Retrieved 23 August 2020.
- King, Byron. "Popular Risen Star Stakes Split into Divisions". Bloodhorse. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- BloodHorse Staff (15 March 2020). "Maryland, New Mexico Close Tracks, Simulcast Facilities". BloodHorse.com.
- "Chart of the Louisiana Derby". Equibase. Retrieved 21 March 2020.
- Crosby, Claire (22 March 2020). "Dubai World Cup Day Canceled Due to COVID-19". BloodHorse.com.
- BloodHorse Staff (21 March 2020). "Florida Derby Purse Reduced From $1 Million to $750,000". BloodHorse.com.
- Cangialosi, Vic (26 March 2020). "Wood Memorial delayed as Aqueduct shuts until at least April 5". New York Post.
- BloodHorse Staff (16 March 2020). "Keeneland Cancels 2020 Spring Meet". BloodHorse.com.
- Oser, Christine (26 April 2020). "Oaklawn Park Splits Arkansas Derby Into Two Divisions". BloodHorse.com.
- BloodHorse Staff (20 March 2020). "Oaklawn Park Moves Arkansas Derby to May 2". BloodHorse.com.
- Angst, Frank; King, Byron (15 July 2020). "Baffert Suspended, Horses DQ'd After Drug Positives". The BloodHorse. Retrieved 18 July 2020.
- Angst, Frank; King, Byron (20 April 2021). "Arkansas Regulator Restores Wins by Charlatan, Gamine". The BloodHorse. Retrieved 21 April 2021.
- "Chart of the Arkansas Derby - Division 2". Equibase. Retrieved 2 May 2020.
- Crosby, Claire; King, Byron. "Health Department Order Suspends Racing at Santa Anita !date=28 March 2020". BloodHorse.com.
- Andersen, Steve (30 April 2020). "Santa Anita schedules 29 stakes, including four Grade 1's". Daily Racing Form. Retrieved 1 May 2020.
- BloodHorse Staff (12 May 2020). "Churchill Announces Road to Kentucky Derby Extension". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 12 May 2020.
- "Chart of the Los Alamitos Derby". Equibase. Retrieved 5 July 2020.
- King, Byron (22 May 2020). "Keeneland Applies to Run Summer Meet July 8-12". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 23 May 2020.
- "Chart of the Ellis Park Derby". Equibase. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "Chart of the Pegasus Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "Cattleya Sho (Result)". Umanity - Japan Racing English results site. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Zen Nippon Nisai Yushun (Result)". Keiba NRA official Website - results (in Japanese). Retrieved 18 December 2019.
- Kieckhefer, Bob (18 December 2019). "Vacation Takes Lead in Japan Road to the Kentucky Derby". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 18 December 2019.
- "Hyacinth Stakes (Result)". Umanity - Japan Racing English results site. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- "Fukuryu Stakes (Result)". Umanity - Japan Racing English results site. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- "Unicorn Stakes Tokyo Racecourse". jra.jp. Retrieved 2020-06-26.
- "BHA extends suspension of racing in Britain with no date set for sport's return". Racing Post. Retrieved 27 April 2020.
- "Juddmonte Royal Lodge Stakes (Group 2) (Class 1)". SportingLife. 28 September 2019.
- "Beresford Stakes (Group 2) (Class 1)". SportingLife. 29 September 2019.
- "Qatar Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere (Group 1)". SportingLife. 6 October 2019.
- "Newcastle set to stage rescheduled Vertem Futurity Trophy on Friday". Racing TV (UK). 26 October 2019.
- "Vertem Futurity Trophy Stakes (Group 1) (Class 1)". SportingLife. 1 November 2019.
- "Woodford Reserve Patton Stakes (Listed) (Class 1)". SportingLife. 28 February 2020.
- "'Road To The Kentucky Derby' Conditions Stakes (Plus 10) (Class 2)". SportingLife. 4 March 2020.