Sky Sports Radio
|City||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Broadcast area||Sydney, Canberra and Regional New South Wales|
|Branding||Sky Sports Radio|
|Frequency||1017 kHz AM (1978–) and other frequencies|
|First air date||31 October 1925|
|Format||Racing and sport|
|Former frequencies||1070 kHz AM (1925–1935)
1020 kHz AM (1935–1978)
|Owner||Sky Channel (Australia)
(2KY Broadcasters Pty Ltd)
Sky Sports Radio is a commercial radio station based in Sydney, broadcasting throughout New South Wales and Canberra on a network of over 140 narrowcast transmitters as well as the main 1017 AM frequency in Sydney. 2KY broadcasts live commentary of thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing. Over 1,500 races are covered each week, including the pre and post race form and TAB betting information.
2KY was founded by Emil Voigt under the ownership of the Labor Council of New South Wales with the aim of broadcasting 'musical entertainment, news, weather, market reports, public debates and matters of educational value'. Night broadcasts of trotting began in 1949 with greyhound racing following soon after. In the 1960s the station took over thoroughbred racing commentary from 2GB. By the mid-1970s Saturday afternoon racing broadcasts had started.
In 1992 the station started establishing a statewide network of narrowcast relay transmitters. 2KY was one of the pioneering stations of Digital Audio Broadcasting in Australia. In 2001 the station was acquired by Sky Channel Pty Ltd.
More recently, Sky Channel Pty Ltd and 2KY were acquired by the NSW TAB, which in turn was acquired by Tabcorp. 2KY, and Tabcorp's other broadcast network Sport 927 (Victoria) jointly present the National Racing Network, originating from the Sport 927 Melbourne (Carlton) studios.
The National Racing Service on 2KY features every TAB meeting throughout Australia, as well as coverage of race meetings in New Zealand and Hong Kong and to a lesser extent the USA and UK. Although racing is the main-stay on 2KY other sports are featured. The Big Sports Breakfast features a range of national and international sports each weekday morning. Other programs cover Rugby League, Soccer and Fishing.
Big Sports Breakfast
The BSB (Big Sports Breakfast) is presented by Terry Kennedy (TK) and former Australian test Cricketer Michael Slater (Slats). Slater debuted in early 2008, replacing Richard Freedman after 7 years on the show. Together, TK and Slats host the weekday 0530-0900 breakfast shift to talk all things in sport. Slater is cricket commentator for the Nine Network and Bigpond, and has appeared on the Triple M sport show Dead Set Legends.
The BSB has many regular commentators:
- Rod Gallegos - (Horse) Racing Sky Channel Chief of staff & Sky Sports Radio Programme Manager
- Andrew Paschalidis -2KY Football (soccer)
- Andrew Bensley -(Horse) Racing Sky Channel
- Josh Massoud -NRL
- Stuart Clark -Cricket
- Michael Christian and Angela Pippos - RSN Racing & Sport, Melbourne
- Dick Fain - KJR, Seattle, USA
- Glenn Munsie -TAB sportsbet
- Denis Fitzgerald - former CEO Parramatta Eels
- Brett Ogle - Golf
- "BROADCASTING. FROM TRADES HALL. Opening by Mr. Willis. MR. GARDEN'S PLANS.". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2 November 1925. p. 9. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Company Profile". 2KY. 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-01. External link in
- "Emil Voigt the man behind 2KY". Radio Heritage Foundation. 2006. Retrieved 2008-07-01. External link in
- "The 2KY Story". 2KY. 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-01. External link in
- "2KY Programming". 2KY. 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-01. External link in