This article does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|AD 9 by topic|
|Gregorian calendar||AD 9
|Ab urbe condita||762|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||戊辰年 (Earth Dragon)
2705 or 2645
— to —
己巳年 (Earth Snake)
2706 or 2646
|Coptic calendar||−275 – −274|
|- Vikram Samvat||65–66|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3109–3110|
|Iranian calendar||613 BP – 612 BP|
|Islamic calendar||632 BH – 631 BH|
|Julian calendar||AD 9
|Minguo calendar||1903 before ROC
|Seleucid era||320/321 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||551–552|
135 or −246 or −1018
— to —
136 or −245 or −1017
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AD 9.|
AD 9 (IX) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. In the Roman Empire, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Sabinus and Camerinus (or, less frequently, 762 Ab urbe condita). The denomination "AD 9" for this year has been used since the late medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- January 10 – Wang Mang founds the short-lived Xin dynasty in China (until AD 25). Wang Mang names his wife Empress Wang (Xin dynasty) and his son Wang Lin Crown Prince and heir to the throne.
- Empress Wang is given the title of Duchess Dowager of Ding'an, while Ruzi Ying, the former Emperor of Han, becomes the Duke of Ding'an. Ruzi Ying is placed under house arrest.
- Lui Kuai, Marquess of Zuziang, attacks the Dukedom of Fuchong under his brother Liu Ying. Lui Kuai is defeated and killed in the ensuing battle.
- c. September 9 – Battle of the Teutoburg Forest: Legio XVII, XVIII and XIX are lured by Arminius into an ambush and defeated by his tribe, the Cherusci, and their Germanic allies. The Roman aquilae are lost and the Roman general and governor Publius Quinctilius Varus commits suicide. The Rhine river is established as the boundary between the Latin- and German-speaking worlds, and Legio II Augusta, XX Valeria Victrix, and XIII Gemina move to Germany to replace the lost legions.
- Suppression of the Bellum Batonianum (Great Illyrian Revolt) in Dalmatia.
- First record of the subdivision of the province of Illyricum into lower (Pannonia) and upper (Dalmatia) regions.
- In order to increase the number of marriages, and ultimately the population, the Lex Papia Poppaea is adopted in Italy. This law prohibits celibacy and childless relationships.
- Roman finances become strained following the Danubian insurrection and the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest, resulting in the levying of two new taxes: five percent of inheritances, and one percent on sales.
- Cunobeline is first recorded to be king of the Catuvellauni at Camulodunum (modern-day Colchester) in Britain.
- Approximate date – Claudius marries Plautia Urgulanilla following the death of Livia Medullina.