|Speaker of the 17th People’s Majlis|
29 May 2009 – 2013
|President||Mohamed Nasheed, Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik, Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom|
|Preceded by||Mohamed Shihab|
|Succeeded by||Abdulla Maseeh Mohamed|
|Member of Parliament for Henveiru Uthuru constituency|
9 May 2009
|Minister of Foreign Affairs|
23 August 2007 – 11 November 2008
|President’s Member to the Special Majlis|
|President’s Member to the People’s Majlis|
|Vaavu Atoll Member to the Special Majlis|
|Executive Secretary to the President|
|Children||1 Daughter and 2 sons .|
|Alma mater||Canberra College of Advanced Education, Australia
Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, USA
Abdulla Shahid (Maldivian: ޢަބްދުﷲ ޝާހިދު) was elected Speaker of the People’s Majlis, of the Maldives on 28 May 2009, the seventeenth holder of the position. He won 42 votes out of 75 votes. Shahid played a key role in the Maldives’ transition to democracy in 2008.  Abdulla Shahid is a member of MDP and is the parliament member for Henveiru Uthuru.
Prior to his role as an MP, Abdulla Shahid served in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from 1984,eventually becoming Director. In this capacity he also headed the International Organizations and Conferences Department, representing the Maldives at meetings and international gatherings including the United Nations, the Commonwealth, Non-Aligned Movement and the Organization of Islamic Conference.
In 2000 he was elected as the Representative of the Vaavu Atoll constituency and served two terms as the Atoll’s Member. Shahid served in the Special Majlis (July 2004-Aug 2008) which drafted the new Constitution of the Maldives. In May 2009, in the first multi-party parliamentary elections of the Maldives, Shahid won the Keyodhoo Constituency.
Shahid previously served as Minister of Foreign Affairs from 23 August 2007 to 11 November 2008 in the presidency of Maumoon Abdul Gayoom. He had been appointed Minister of State for Foreign Affairs in 2005.
Shahid holds a bachelor's degree in Social Science (Politics) from the Canberra College of Advanced Education, and a master's degree in International Relations from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University.
- "Speaker Shahid joins MDP". Sun Online. April 18, 2013. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "Speaker Shahid ends speculation, announces MDP switch". Haveeru Online. April 18, 2013. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "The Honorable Abdulla Shahid, MP, the Speaker of People's Majlis". Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- "Opposition members elected to position of Majlis Speaker, Deputy Speaker". Haveeru Daily. Maldives. May 30, 2009. Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- "Twitter/ @abdulla_shahid". Twitter.com. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "His Excellency Mr. Abdulla Shahid,MP A Biographical Note". Foreign Ministry of Maldives. Retrieved September 28, 2012.