Abu Dhabi Department of Culture & Tourism
دائرة الثقافة و السياحة
|Formation||October 2, 2012|
|Merger of||Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority and Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage|
The Department of Culture and Tourism was established in February 2012 by Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the United Arab Emirates, to replace Abu Dhabi's two main tourism and culture agencies, the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority and the Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage.
The new authority's objective is to preserve and manage the art and cultural heritage of the emirate and develop tourism and future museum projects such as Zayed National Museum, Guggenheim Abu Dhabi and Louvre Abu Dhabi Museums.
In September 2017, Sheikh Khalifa issued a decree to reshape the Executive Council of Abu Dhabi, which included renaming the Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority to Department of Culture and Tourism.
The authority is a merge between three, Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage; an institution which was responsible of preservation of cultural heritage, Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority and cultural department of Tourism Development & Investment Company (TDIC); one of the private developers in culture tourism in the emirate.
The merge was ordered by executive council and Sultan bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan was appointed as chairman to oversees the emergence of the new authority leveraging his experience as chairman of former TDIC’s Cultural Department.
- "New tourism authority to replace two agencies for Abu Dhabi | The National". Retrieved 2015-06-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Abu Dhabi's TDIC awards contract for Saadiyat beachfront project". Retrieved 2015-06-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hall, Camilla (February 15, 2012). "Abu Dhabi forms super-agency to boost tourism". Financial Times. ISSN 0307-1766. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- "خليفة يصدر مرسوماً بإعادة تشكيل المجلس التنفيذي لأبوظبي..."
- "Abu Dhabi Classics". Abu dhabi events. Archived from the original on 2013-12-24. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- "Cultural Mandate". TCA Abu Dhabi. Retrieved 2015-06-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)