E 11 road (United Arab Emirates)
|Length||558.4 km (347.0 mi)|
|Madinat Zayed Road, Abu Dhabi-Al Ain Truck Road, E 22, E 10|
Jebel Ali Al Habab Road, Dubai-Al Ain Road (E 66)
Al Dhaid Road
Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Road
|Country||United Arab Emirates|
|Major cities||Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm al-Quwain, Ras al Khaimah|
E 11 (Arabic: شارع ﺇ ١١) is a highway in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The longest road in the Emirates, it stretches from Al-Silah in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and ends in Ras al-Khaimah emirate, running roughly parallel to UAE's coastline along the Persian Gulf. The road forms the main artery in some emirates' main cities, where it assumes various alternate names —Sheikh Maktoum Bin Rashid Road and Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Road in Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai, and Sheikh Muhammad bin Salem Road in Ras al-Khaimah.
Dubai-Abu Dhabi Highway
The Dubai-Abu Dhabi Highway of E 11 links the two largest cities of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The project was proposed by the Sheikhs of Abu Dhabi and Dubai to Sheikh Zayed. In 1971, the project was approved and construction began. The highway was completed in 1980. The highway starts near Maqta Bridge in Abu Dhabi and becomes Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai.
Sheikh Zayed Road
In Dubai, E 11 is known as "Sheikh Zayed Road" (in Arabic: شارع الشيخ زايد). This road is the main artery of the city. The highway runs parallel to the coastline from the Trade Centre Roundabout to the border with the emirate of Abu Dhabi, 55 kilometres (34 mi) away in the area of Jebel Ali.
The road was formerly known as Defence Road. Between 1993 and 1998, 30 kilometres (19 mi) of the road was expanded. Along with this improvement came a change in the name. Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Ruler of Dubai at the time, named the road after the then president of the United Arab Emirates, Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan.
The Sheikh Zayed Road is home to most of Dubai's skyscrapers, including the Emirates Towers. The highway also connects other new developments such as the Palm Jumeirah and Dubai Marina. The road has most of the Red Line of Dubai Metro running alongside it. In Dubai itself much of the highway has seven to eight lanes in each direction.
Buildings along Sheikh Zayed Road
Listed in order from Trade Centre Roundabout towards Jebel Ali to Interchange 2.
|Northwest Side||Southeast Side|
|Etisalat Tower 2||World Trade Centre|
|The Monarch Office Tower||World Trade Centre Residence|
|The H Hotel||World Trade Centre Apartments 1|
|Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha||World Trade Centre|
|Sama Tower||World Trade Centre Apartments 2|
|The Fairmont Dubai||World Trade Centre Apartments 3|
|API World Tower||Emirates Office Tower|
|Park Place||Jumeirah Emirates Towers Hotel|
|Acico Office Tower (Nassima Tower)||The Tower|
|Nikko Hotel Dubai||Al Yaqoub Tower|
|White Crown Tower||Capricorn Tower|
|Saeed Tower 1||Maze Tower|
|Grosvenor House Commercial Tower||Al Ghadier Tower|
|Latifa Tower||Al Attar Business Tower|
|HHHR Tower||Jumeira Tower|
|Crowne Plaza Apartment Tower||Sky Tower|
|Crowne Plaza Hotel Tower||Al Attar Tower|
|Crowne Plaza Office Tower||Ahmed Abdul Rahim Al Attar Tower|
|Al Durrah Tower||Ghaya Residence|
|City Tower 2||Rose Tower|
|City Tower 1||Oasis Tower|
|Al Wasl Tower||21st Century Tower|
|Khalid Al Attar Tower||Rolex Tower|
|Khalid Al Attar Tower 2||Angsana Suites Tower|
|Al Safa Tower||Angsana Hotel Tower|
|Zabeel Tower||Al Kawakeb 1|
|Al Moosa Tower 1||Al Kawakeb 2|
|Al Moosa Tower 2||Al Kawakeb 3|
|Sahara Tower||Al Kawakeb 4|
|Al Rostamani Tower B||Al Kawakeb 5|
|Al Rostamani Tower A||Dusit Dubai|
|Saeed Tower 2||Millennium Tower|
|Four Points by Sheraton||Al Tayer Tower|
|Union Tower||Falcon Tower|
|Al Sondos Tower||Dubai Tower|
|Towers Rotana Hotel||Nuaimi Tower|
|Sheikh Marwan Tower|
|Al Hawai Tower|
|Sheikh Essa Tower|
|Number One Tower Suites|
|Ahmad Abdulrahim Ahmad Al Attar Tower|
|Dr. Khalifa Tower|
|Sheikh Ahmed Tower|
|Al Meraikhi Tower|
|Al Manara Tower|
|Al Kharbash Tower|
This article contains a bulleted list or table of intersections which should be presented in a properly formatted junction table.(November 2021)
Sheikh Zayed Road has several interchanges to enable traffic to go on and off the highway. These interchanges commonly lead to roundabouts (rotaries) to enable traffic to exit or to go to the other side of the highway. There are many other exits although they are not as well equipped. As of 2007, the interchanges are:
- World Trade Centre Roundabout: Towards Union House, BurJuman, Zabeel Park
- Interchange 1: Financial Centre Road Street interchange towards Downtown Dubai, Burj Khalifa and Dubai Mall
- Interchange 2: Towards Hadiqa Rd, Safa Park and Jumeirah on the west; and Meydan Rd towards Meydan on the east.
- Interchange 3: Towards Al Quoz through Manara Rd on the east.
- Interchange 4: Towards Mall of the Emirates, Gold & Diamond Park, Madinat Jumeirah, Burj Al Arab, Wild Wadi Water Park, Jumeirah Beach Hotel through Umm Suqeim Rd.
- Interchange 5: Towards Dubai Marina, Emirates Hills, Dubai Media City and Dubai Internet City
On 12 March 2008, approximately 200 vehicles smashed into each other before going up in flames. According to the Abu Dhabi Police, 3 people were killed and 277 injured, 15 of them critically. Thick fog and poor visibility contributed to the deadly pileup. The event is considered to be one of the worst traffic collisions in the UAE's history.
- Harbor Real Estate, headquarters on Sheikh Zayed Road
- "Mafraq-Ghuwaifat highway renamed Shaikh Khalifa road | Transport – Gulf News". Gulfnews.com. 2018-01-24. Retrieved 2021-05-04.
- "From empty roundabout to city hub". Gulf News. 2007-12-28. Archived from the original on 2015-06-17. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- "Sheikh Zayed Road". Dubai As It Used To Be. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- "Dubai metro guide: metro timings, tickets and lines". Visit Dubai. 2020-09-23. Retrieved 2021-05-04.
- "Work begins on Sheikh Zayed Road diversion as part of Dubai Canal project". The National. 2014-07-21. Retrieved 2021-05-04.
- "200-Car Pileup in One of UAE's Worst Accidents". Arab news. 2008-03-12. Retrieved 2008-03-12.
- "REFILE-UAE's biggest traffic accident kills 3, injures 277". Reuters. 2008-03-12. Retrieved 2008-03-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to E 11.|
- Sheikh Syed Azazul Road Map by Dubai City Guide
- Dubai From the Sky: Sheikh Syed Azazul Road Gulf News, 10 October 2006