A general view of Albières
|Intercommunality||Région Lézignanaise, Corbières et Minervois|
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Jacques Villefranque|
|17.25 km2 (6.66 sq mi)|
|• Density||7.1/km2 (18/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||371–823 m (1,217–2,700 ft) |
(avg. 450 m or 1,480 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Albiérois or Albiéroises
Albières is a remote commune high in the mountains some 40 km south by south-east of Carcassonne and 40 km west by south west of Port-la-Nouvelle in a direct line. The road distance is substantially more. The D129 road running north-west from Pont d'Orbieau forms the north-eastern border of the commune but to enter the commune the D613 road branches off this road heading south-west to the village of Albières. The D613 continues west through the commune to Arques and is the only access route to the commune. There is quite an extensive network of small mountain roads in the commune. The commune is mountainous with alpine vegetation, no farming areas, and some forested areas.
There are many streams flowing through the commune with the Ruisseau d'Albières flowing through the village and north, joined by several other streams and joining L'Orbieu river which flows northwards to join the Aude near Saint-Nazaire-d'Aude.
Or, fess fusilly in gules and Or.
List of Successive Mayors of Albières
- Mayors from 1938
Sites and Monuments
- Ruins of a Medieval Castle and enclosure (castrum) of the old village
- The Church of Saint Martin from the 17th century contains a Painting: the Assumption which is registered as an historical object.
- The Oratory of Notre-Dame des Douleurs contains a Group Sculpture: Virgin of Pity which is registered as an historical object.
- Raymond Busquet whose paternal family is from Albières and neighbouring villages
- The ACCA of Albières: Boar Hunting
- The Paradis club: Club of the Third Age of Albières
- The Committee of festivals of Albières
- A Local Festival around 14 July (organized by the Festival Committee)
- The Festival of Albières of World Music at the end of July
- The Bal-musette in late August (organized by the Paradis Club)
- A Theatre during the All Saints' Day holidays
- Albières on Lion1906
- Albières on Google Maps
- Albières on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Albieres on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Albières on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Inhabitants of Aude (in French)
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM11000592 Painting: The Assumption (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM11002502 Group Sculpture: Virgin of Pity (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Albières.|