Albuquerque Sol FC
|Full name||Albuquerque Sol Football Club|
|Stadium||Ben Rios Field
Albuquerque, New Mexico
|General Manager||Larry Espinoza|
|League||Premier Development League|
|2016||5th, Mid South Division
|Website||Club home page|
Albuquerque Sol FC is an American soccer club based in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Founded in 2013, the team joined the Premier Development League, the fourth tier of the American soccer pyramid, in 2014.
On May 3, 2014, Albuquerque Sol F.C. opened its season on the road against the Las Vegas Mobsters in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Sol lost its first ever game 1–0. The following week, they traveled to Highlands Ranch, Colorado for a two-match series against the Real Colorado Foxes. The first match resulted in a scoreless draw, but the second match featured the Sol's first ever goal (a tally from Ricardo Perez in the 60th minute) and first ever win, a 2–1 victory over the Foxes on Saturday, May 10. The Sol opened their home slate at Ben Rios Field on May 24, 2014 against the Midland/Odessa Sockers, a 1–2 loss before a crowd of 1,318. The 2014 edition of the Sol were competitive, obtaining a result in nine of their fourteen matches, but they were only able to secure 15 points and finished outside the USL PDL Mountain Division playoffs.
|Year||Division||League||Regular Season||Playoffs||Open Cup|
|2014||4||USL PDL||3rd, Mountain||Did not qualify||Did not qualify|
|2015||4||USL PDL||2nd, Mountain||First Round||Did not qualify|
|2016||4||USL PDL||5th, Mid South||Did not qualify||First Round|
Albuquerque Sol FC's official supporters group is the Sol Mates. In addition to the Sol Mates, there is an unofficial supporters group, the Sandianistas, which formed shortly after the club's inception in late 2013. The supporters sit in the west end of Ben Rios Field for all home matches.
The Sol compete with FC Tucson in the Southwestern Showdown, an annual series for the right to hold the "Golden Rattler" trophy for the following year. Albuquerque has also competed with FC Tucson and Las Vegas Mobsters for the Copa Frontera, a supporter-created trophy for clubs in the PDL Mountain Division with active supporter cultures.
At halftime of the Sol's home finale on July 12, 2014, the club retired its #4 jersey in commemoration of Grange's impact on local soccer as well as to raise awareness for ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), the disease which claimed Grange's life in 2012.
- "Albuquerque Sol FC Joins PDL". United Soccer Leagues (USL). December 5, 2013. Archived from the original on July 9, 2014. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Albuquerque 0-1 Las Vegas
- Albuquerque 0-0 Real Colorado
- Albuquerque 2-1 Real Colorado
- Midland/Odessa 2-1 Albuquerque
- ""Southwestern Showdown" Begins Tonight". FCTucson.com. June 6, 2013.
- 2017 Albuquerque Sol FC Roster Sheet
- "No one will ever wear the #4 in honor of Pat Grange", Albuquerque Sol FC Facebook page, 12 July 2014
- "Grange to be remembered by Sol; Albuquerque to retire number in halftime ceremony of home finale", USLPDL.com, 11 July 2014