All Hope Is Gone (song)
|"All Hope Is Gone"|
|Single by Slipknot|
|from the album All Hope Is Gone|
|Released||June 23, 2008|
|Recorded||February 2008–June 2008 at Sound Farm in Jamaica, Iowa|
|Slipknot singles chronology|
"All Hope Is Gone" is a song by American metal band Slipknot. The first single and title track from Slipknot's fourth studio album of the same name. It was released for one day only during June 20, 2008 as an MP3 in its entirety on the band's website for free download, and was followed by its release as a digital single on June 23, 2008.
The song was originally announced by blabbermouth.net to be "a heavier track" from All Hope Is Gone, scheduled to begin airplay on June 15. "All Hope Is Gone" is also the first title track from a Slipknot album to be released as a single.
Themes and production
In an interview with Kerrang! drummer Joey Jordison revealed that "All Hope Is Gone" is a true collaborative effort between the band and was one of the final songs recorded for the band's fourth studio album of the same name. "The song, music and theme speak for itself. It's a song about the world at stake: all the situations at hand, be it personal or worldly, and trying to turn things into a positive. Sometimes you have to face the grotesque to bring about something amazing". Jordison went on to say, "I actually demoed this song alone and didn't know what would come of it as we were nearing the end of the album. I was hoping it would make it. I knew it would, once everyone spewed their venom upon it".
Of the song's conception, Jordison said, "A lot of the grind riffs for the verses were made of riffs Paul had years ago, way before Slipknot. Funny how things won't die. Mick came in and fucking set fire to the track and Jim Root followed as well. Once Corey put his fucking vocals on it, that was it, man. That guy's voice and conviction could sell narcotics to a nun".
- "All Hope Is Gone" – 4:45
|Swedish Singles Chart||42|
|UK Singles Chart||98|
- Loeffler, Shawn (September 30, 2010). "SLIPKNOT: "ALL HOPE IS GONE" & "PSYCHOSOCIAL"". Yell! Magazine. Retrieved July 23, 2015.
“All Hope Is Gone” opens with enough drum and percussion to send any WW II vet into shellshock and back to Normandy before it breaks into frantic guitar riffing and an outright vocal assault. There is a speed metal solo on this track that seems to belong like a white kid in South Central, but after several listens it grows on you and serves as a nice breather before getting slaughtered by some more skull-crushing metal.
- "SLIPKNOT To Release Free Single On Friday". Blabbermouth.net. 2008-06-18. Archived from the original on 19 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- "SLIPKNOT: New Single Sample, Artwork Available". Blabbermouth.net. 2008-06-15. Archived from the original on 18 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-15.
- "The Official UK Charts Company : TOP 100 SINGLES CHART:". The Official UK Charts Company. Archived from the original on June 30, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-30.