Allison Dale Burroughs
|Allison Dale Burroughs|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts|
December 19, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Rya W. Zobel|
|Born||1961 (age 55–56)
|Education||Middlebury College B.A.
University of Pennsylvania Law School J.D.
Allison Dale Burroughs (born 1961) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Burroughs was born in 1961 in Boston, Massachusetts. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, from Middlebury College. She received a Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 1988 from the University of Pennsylvania Law School. She began her legal career as a law clerk for Judge Norma L. Shapiro of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania from 1988 to 1989. She served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania from 1989 to 1995 and in the District of Massachusetts from 1995 to 2005. From 2005 to 2014 she was a partner at Nutter McClennen & Fish where she represented individuals and corporations in criminal and civil proceedings primarily before Federal Courts.
Federal judicial service
On July 31, 2014, President Obama nominated Burroughs to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, to the seat vacated by Judge Rya W. Zobel, who took senior status on April 1, 2014. She received a hearing before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary on September 17, 2014. On November 20, 2014, her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On December 13, 2014, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On December 16, 2014, Reid withdrew his cloture motion upon Burroughs' nomination, and the Senate proceeded to vote to confirm Burroughs by a voice vote. She received her federal judicial commission on December 19, 2014, and was sworn in on January 7, 2015.
- "Senate Judiciary Committee Nomination Questionnaire" (PDF).
- "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the United States District Courts". 31 July 2014.
- "Burroughs, Allison Dale - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "THE WHITE HOUSE NOMINATIONS SENT TO THE SENATE: Allison Dale Burroughs, Amit Priyavadan Mehta, - Created by Don - In category: Human Interest - Tagged with: - Don411.com Media :: Performing Arts News Unabridged -". don411.com.
- "Judicial Nominations" United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary, September 17, 2014.
- "Results of Executive Business Meeting - November 20, 2014 United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary" (PDF).
- "'PRESS RELEASE', United States District Court: District of Massachusetts, January 7, 2015" (PDF).
Rya W. Zobel
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts